Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ken Burns' 'Vietnam'

Ken Burns' 'Vietnam'

I haven't seen any mention of the series here and am wondering if any of you are watching and what your reactions might be. So far, I find it to be incredibly well done and insightful even if it leaves me nearly quivering at the end of each episode.

Jim

Are you finding it difficult to watch?
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

Somewhat, though I suspect things will start to get more intense during the next couple of episodes. Watching isn't really the problem, digesting it afterwards is. I will admit, however, to wanting to light Robert McNamara's face on fire every time it's shown.

Jim

I missed the first episode and haven't decided whether to try to catch up as I will be missing others as well, or wait till it's available on Netflix or the Library.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

I missed the first two but have now caught up. So far, so good.

Quote Originally Posted by magalloway View Post
    I haven't seen any mention of the series here and am wondering if any of you are watching and what your reactions might be. So far, I find it to be incredibly well done and insightful even if it leaves me nearly quivering at the end of each episode.

Jim
    I watched the first two episodes and thought they were very well done. My biggest reaction was just how inevitable the conflict was, given the concern about 'worldwide communism and JFKs candid statements that he politically could not afford to get out of the conflict. Even if it was clear to people on the ground that the regime was hated. I would have liked to see more evidence of the extreme paranoia the country had about the spread of communism, even in inconsequential S.E.Asian countries. Also I would have liked to have seen more on the influence of the Military-Industrial complex in encouraging all out war for its own benefit. I thought it was another outstanding Ken Burns production.

I don't have TV service now, so I am missing it. I am reading a discussion of it by MonkeyDoes, Don Newton, John Mundinger and Ouzelpro. Kevin brought up "Vietnam: A Television History" and Karnow's book on which it was based. I remember a bit of the old documentary and it is available on Youtube.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.

Where are those guys discussing it?

I have been watching it. I had seen the other documentary but I think this one goes much deeper into the history of why we ended up there.

It sounds extremely interesting and it is on my watch list after I catch up on a couple more shows. I have read several books on the Vietnam air war (reading Bury Us Upside Down right now) but I'm not as well versed on the happenings of the ground war. The only thing I really know about it is that I got no fight with any man who does what he's told, but when he don't, the machine breaks down. And when the machine breaks down, we break down.

TX, We don't have a TV either. Our died about 3 months ago. I watch everything on my iPad. Do you have a tablet? If so, PBS has apps for the local stations and you can watch the Vietnam series for free.