Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Senator Jeff Flake Gets It

I actually agree with the article also.
    "They are, however, people who have lost trust in the individuals and institutions who are most alarmed about Trump: the political establishment, the press, etc. And so, on a relative basis, they’d rather continue to put their trust in Trump. The challenge for those who oppose Trump isn’t to convince the American people that Trump presents a threat to democracy, or to wean them off the thrill of a reality show roller coaster in Washington. The challenge is to win back the trust of people who have tuned them out entirely." Can they do that?

Quote Originally Posted by creekguy View Post
    I actually agree with the article also.
    "They are, however, people who have lost trust in the individuals and institutions who are most alarmed about Trump: the political establishment, the press, etc. And so, on a relative basis, they’d rather continue to put their trust in Trump. The challenge for those who oppose Trump isn’t to convince the American people that Trump presents a threat to democracy, or to wean them off the thrill of a reality show roller coaster in Washington. The challenge is to win back the trust of people who have tuned them out entirely." Can they do that?
    At the risk of being called an elitist atheist liberal, I am reminded of Brendan Behan's ineffable sadness at seeing his mother, crippled by arthritis, crawling on the floor and saying her rosary, secure in the knowledge that a better life awaited her with Jesus in Heaven.

True Confession: When I was a student in NYC in the early 1960s Manhattan's White Horse Tavern was one of our favorite cheap drinking spots, along with the many cheap Irish bars like the Shannon Star et. al. The White Horse was a student favorite because Brendan Behan drank himself nearly to death there, Dylan Thomas did drink himself to death there: had 18 shots, collapsed outside and died the next day. Other notable customers (aside from YT ) include James Baldwin, Anais Nin, Norman Miler, Jack Kerouac, Alan Ginsburg and many jazz musicians. Later, in the '80s it was Sam Shepherd and other struggling playwrights. Friends tell me it has, alas, become a tourist trap.

Thomas Wolfe was right - "You can't go home again."
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Quote Originally Posted by George K View Post
    At the risk of being called an elitist atheist liberal, I am reminded of Brendan Behan's ineffable sadness at seeing his mother, crippled by arthritis, crawling on the floor and saying her rosary, secure in the knowledge that a better life awaited her with Jesus in Heaven.

True Confession: When I was a student in NYC in the early 1960s Manhattan's White Horse Tavern was one of our favorite cheap drinking spots, along with the many cheap Irish bars like the Shannon Star et. al. The White Horse was a student favorite because Brendan Behan drank himself nearly to death there, Dylan Thomas did drink himself to death there: had 18 shots, collapsed outside and died the next day. Other notable customers (aside from YT ) include James Baldwin, Anais Nin, Norman Miler, Jack Kerouac, Alan Ginsburg and many jazz musicians. Later, in the '80s it was Sam Shepherd and other struggling playwrights. Friends tell me it has, alas, become a tourist trap.

Thomas Wolfe was right - "You can't go home again."
    I remember a White Horse Tavern but it was in Newport RI. I think it's claim to fame was that it was the oldest Tavern in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    I remember a White Horse Tavern but it was in Newport RI. I think it's claim to fame was that it was the oldest Tavern in the US.
    NY's White Horse is the second oldest in the city, after McSorley's. Take me outside and shoot me if White Horses were America's first chain restaurants.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Been to both. Also Fraunces Tavern
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    Nice article and some very good points. I believe that Trump was nothing more than a stick through the spokes of the wheel that is Washington. The Trump voters are the terrain in which that wheel has been rolling over. .
    I missed this before but this is some great evocative imagery. I love this use of metaphor. It does what metaphor should: it explains the point clearly and concisely.