Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Senator Jeff Flake Gets It

Senator Jeff Flake Gets It

He has written a new book that argues that the GOP has sold its soul by not standing up for principle and resisting Pres. Trump.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/01/politi...ump/index.html

This quote from the book, and the journalist's analysis of the quote sums it up nicely:

"If by 2017 the conservative bargain was to go along for the very bumpy ride because with congressional hegemony and the White House we had the numbers to achieve some long-held policy goals—even as we put at risk our institutions and our values—then it was a very real question whether any such policy victories wouldn't be Pyrrhic ones. If this was our Faustian bargain, then it was not worth it."

This line is the crux on which the whole piece stands. What Flake is doing is taking apart the argument at the heart of why so many conservatives supported Trump: Because he would enact something closer to their agenda than would Hillary Clinton. Congressional Republicans openly admitted in the run-up to the 2016 election that Trump's personal conduct was totally unacceptable to them but they were for him anyway because he would appoint more conservative Supreme Court justices, work to lower taxes and get rid of regulations. For that promise, Flake argues, Republicans gave up their principles. And the juice wasn't worth the squeeze.

RINO........

(Commie programmers. I can spell it RINO if I add in other text, but it corrects to Rino if it's solo text....)
    Last edited by breamfisher; 08-01-2017 at 04:44 PM.

A similar column today by a Colorado U.S. Rep. I'm less than impressed. Here they are bemoaning that the strong principles the GOP leaders have claimed for so long turned out to be a hypocritical sham. I coudda told them.

Quote Originally Posted by creekguy View Post
    A similar column today by a Colorado U.S. Rep. I'm less than impressed. Here they are bemoaning that the strong principles the GOP leaders have claimed for so long turned out to be a hypocritical sham. I coudda told them.
    Yep. Where was their opposition prior to the election? Or even prior to Mr. Doofus getting the nomination?

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn C. View Post
    Yep. Where was their opposition prior to the election? Or even prior to Mr. Doofus getting the nomination?

Well Flake was opposed to the Donald all along. Didn't even go to the convention. This can't be put on Flake. He was never on board.

Quote Originally Posted by sherb View Post
    Well Flake was opposed to the Donald all along. Didn't even go to the convention. This can't be put on Flake. He was never on board.
    I had not realized that. I thought he stuck his head in the sand like so many of his colleauges. Thanks for the correction.

Strong principles of the GOP lol. Yet they resist change to everything that they've been non stop railing about for the previous eight years. They're only loyalty is to the system that has made them all rich. The entire establishment is corrupt. Both of them.

This is clearly fake news.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    Strong principles of the GOP lol. Yet they resist change to everything that they've been non stop railing about for the previous eight years. They're only loyalty is to the system that has made them all rich. The entire establishment is corrupt. Both of them.
    Just for you, Mike

http://www.theamericanconservative.c...s-of-distrust/

Quote Originally Posted by sherb View Post
    Nice article and some very good points. I believe that Trump was nothing more than a stick through the spokes of the wheel that is Washington. The Trump voters are the terrain in which that wheel has been rolling over. I don't think there were many Trump voters who actually expected this admin to work anything like the previous administrations. That was the whole point. Well, that and beating Hillary.