Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: It's been a year...

Quote Originally Posted by NZ Indicator View Post
    I hear this all the time, but what's wrong with making your own food? I've been to big cities, I've eaten at nice places...but nice or best restaurants would never be a reason I would want to live near/in/next to all of that which is known as the rat race. There's more to life than having a nice restaurant nearby no? I'd rather be living in a place that had access to the best trout streams in the world and other outdoor related activities.

Seems a good chunk of the people from Chicago agree with me...our state is flooded with Chicago folks every weekend on the highways and towns. WI has what they don't have. Driftless area of WI it isn't uncommon see more Illinois plates on the streams than WI plates. Same goes for northern WI where a majority of our lakes our.

Shopping...shop from the convenience of your home online and have it delivered. No wear and tear on the car, no time spent waiting in lines.

Maybe that's just me. I hate crowds and everything that is big city.
    What you call a rat race, I call excitement. I loved how alive the city would become in the spring. I like people.

Chicago folks every weekend on the highways and towns. WI has what they don't have.
    Did you notice they only choose to visit?
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

Here is the thing also about NY, it is a town where the best of the best come to compete for jobs in the theater. A music open mic there would have some of the most amazing singers you ever heard. The guys performing on the subway platforms could be playing at the Met next week. You could walk through Union Square Park and hear the most fabulous jazz for absolutely no cost other than what you tossed into a hat. It was fantastic if you ask me.
    Last edited by fishingcomic; 08-08-2017 at 06:20 AM.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

The tourists on Michigan Ave. wear Packers shirts. Just saying

There's no need ever to go to a city if you are content to live without first class museums, theater, music, architecture, restaurants serving food you haven't mastered at home with dozens of choices for each of those.

But without at regular exposure to those things you are living what Socrates called "the unexamined life".
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

BTW I got to see Patrick Stewart perform in the Tempest under the stars in Central Park and perform in front of 400 people at Caroline's on Broadway. I love the outdoors and fishing, but it is not the entirety of my existence.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffco View Post
    Some people prefer the city. Don't know why you're trying to convince them that everyone would be better off in rural areas.

Besides, it looks like you would want to keep that quiet. We can't take all of them out here.
    Don't know that I'm trying to convince anyone. Just my thoughts on it based on my experience and experience of others that have left.

Quote Originally Posted by fishingcomic View Post
    What you call a rat race, I call excitement. I loved how alive the city would become in the spring. I like people.
    Yeah...to each their own. I prefer the quiet and non hustle and bustle of small town life.

Did you notice they only choose to visit?
    They build cabins up here all over the place. Come up almost every weekend. 6 hours to get here on Friday then drive 6 hours home on Sunday. Visit or wish they could live here year round? IDK.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    The tourists on Michigan Ave. wear Packers shirts. Just saying
    Ha!!! True story. I've done that gig!!!

Quote Originally Posted by George K View Post
    There's no need ever to go to a city if you are content to live without first class museums, theater, music, architecture, restaurants serving food you haven't mastered at home with dozens of choices for each of those.

But without at regular exposure to those things you are living what Socrates called "the unexamined life".
    I call it the good life. I don't "need" all of those things even though I have done them all at one time or another. Everything I need is right out my doorstep.

And that is fine for you. Some people have different priorities in life, that does not make you a better person or your choice superior.
    Last edited by fishingcomic; 08-08-2017 at 02:23 PM.