Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 92

Thread: It's been a year...

  1. #51
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    668
    Quote Originally Posted by NZ Indicator View Post
    Maybe that's just me. I hate crowds and everything that is big city.
    Amen brother.

  2. #52
    Super Moderator Goldenladle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Bitterroot Valley
    Posts
    3,911
    Quote Originally Posted by NZ Indicator View Post
    Maybe that's just me. I hate crowds and everything that is big city.
    I think its because you were raised in rural Michigan/Wisconsin and never spent any significant time in the big city. I was born in Chicago, raised sort of in rural Minnesota (St. Cloud) But I lived in Minneapolis for a huge chunk of my life. At this point I could take living in the city or living in the country, I like both. Of course living where I do now is pretty neat and I don't plan on moving anytime soon. I have all I really need here and If I can't find it, I either buy it online or drive to Missoula (45 miles).

  3. #53
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    90,402
    Quote Originally Posted by fishingcomic View Post
    Never wanted to leave. I could take a train to a river I had to myself in the morning and go to live theater or perform comedy in the evening. Not to mention having access to some of the best restaurants in the world. I could do all my Christmas shopping within 3 blocks of my apartment. I like people, so the crowds didn't bother me.
    LA...could go surfing in the morning, skiing in the afternoon. Catch a concert at the Roxy that night.

    I love Wisconsin, but you can't do that in the cheesehead state.

  4. #54
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lakewood co
    Posts
    3,774
    I will simply say that home is where your friends are. (fade in song about being lonely in L.A.). I've been happy in Houston Texas: nuff said. A recruiter once said to me, the best beach there is at the airport.

  5. #55
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    In a country full of snowflakes
    Posts
    8,623
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenladle View Post
    I think its because you were raised in rural Michigan/Wisconsin and never spent any significant time in the big city. I was born in Chicago, raised sort of in rural Minnesota (St. Cloud) But I lived in Minneapolis for a huge chunk of my life. At this point I could take living in the city or living in the country, I like both. Of course living where I do now is pretty neat and I don't plan on moving anytime soon. I have all I really need here and If I can't find it, I either buy it online or drive to Missoula (45 miles).
    Could be. But I have friends that left the big city and they have always stated it was the best decision they ever made with no desire to ever go back.

    I've also talked with numerous business owners in my area that come from Chicago/Milwaukee area....it's the same story...glad to be out of the rat race.

    I've had times in my life where I have had to spend 4-5 days in Chicago, Boston or Minneapolis for work. I couldn't wait to get the f**k out of those places. Spent a week on family vacation once in the Washington D.C. and Baltimore area. Same thing...was glad to leave those place.

    I just scratch my head wondering how anyone can live like that...spend your life staring at tail lights in slow moving traffic or having to take trains/taxis to get where you need to go based on their schedule not yours. I prefer the freedom of my own car.

    You have it good there Mike. Much better than the concrete jungle you came from.

    Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

  6. #56
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Central Vermont
    Posts
    443
    This is a pointless discussion. People like to live where they want to live--more often than not due to where the grew up--and there is no objective right or wrong to any given choice.

    I grew up in an old farmhouse two miles down a dirt road. My brother and I, and a couple of kids who lived down the road at a big dairy farm, would roam the woods with an axe in one hand and a .22 in the other. If it moved we shot it; if it didn't move we hacked it with the axe.

    Fast forward 40+ years and I am living in a old (but renovated) farmhouse on a dirt road about a mile from the pavement. Our house sits on 140 acres (it is an old hill farm), and we have a third interest (with my neighbors, who live far enough away that I can't see them) in another 77 acres. Our land backs up to 1000s of acres of forest owned by other people. I live where it very hilly. We're up on a big hill at 1,500 feet and have a 180 degree view of the Green Mountains from my front porch and beyond them I can see 60 miles over to Mt. Washington and the Presidential Range. When I deer hunt in November I just walk out the door. I do have to get into my vehicle to go trout fishing and drive, gasp, 20 minutes.

    I have an 8 mile commute to work in Montpelier which, while small, has a surprising number of good restaurants, movie theaters, live theatrical productions, etc. It is small, though, and one often sees the same people on the street over and over again. On the one hand that it is nice--sense of community and all that good stuff, but on the other hand there are times when I'd like more anonymity.

    I like to visit big cities but can't imagine living in one. For one thing you need a boat load of money, especially so that you can get away. But, what do you do when you are home on, say, a weekend, and want to get out and stretch your legs? Run along some busy highway hyperventilating car exhaust? Go to a park that was designed by human beings and crowded with human beings? I just take a long walk or XC ski on my land.

    Edited to add: But, it sucks here, so don't move here.
    Last edited by Green Mt Boy; 08-07-2017 at 07:08 PM.

  7. #57
    Senior Member Buffco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    9,402
    Quote Originally Posted by NZ Indicator View Post
    Could be. But I have friends that left the big city and they have always stated it was the best decision they ever made with no desire to ever go back.

    I've also talked with numerous business owners in my area that come from Chicago/Milwaukee area....it's the same story...glad to be out of the rat race.

    I've had times in my life where I have had to spend 4-5 days in Chicago, Boston or Minneapolis for work. I couldn't wait to get the f**k out of those places. Spent a week on family vacation once in the Washington D.C. and Baltimore area. Same thing...was glad to leave those place.

    I just scratch my head wondering how anyone can live like that...spend your life staring at tail lights in slow moving traffic or having to take trains/taxis to get where you need to go based on their schedule not yours. I prefer the freedom of my own car.

    You have it good there Mike. Much better than the concrete jungle you came from.

    Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Some people prefer the city. Don't know why you're trying to convince them that everyone would be better off in rural areas.

    Besides, it looks like you would want to keep that quiet. We can't take all of them out here.

  8. #58
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,137
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Mt Boy View Post
    This is a pointless discussion. People like to live where they want to live--more often than not due to where the grew up--and there is no objective right or wrong to any given choice.

    I grew up in an old farmhouse two miles down a dirt road. My brother and I, and a couple of kids who lived down the road at a big dairy farm, would roam the woods with an axe in one hand and a .22 in the other. If it moved we shot it; if it didn't move we hacked it with the axe.

    Fast forward 40+ years and I am living in a old (but renovated) farmhouse on a dirt road about a mile from the pavement. Our house sits on 140 acres (it is an old hill farm), and we have a third interest (with my neighbors, who live far enough away that I can't see them) in another 77 acres. Our land backs up to 1000s of acres of forest owned by other people. I live where it very hilly. We're up on a big hill at 1,500 feet and have a 180 degree view of the Green Mountains from my front porch and beyond them I can see 60 miles over to Mt. Washington and the Presidential Range. When I deer hunt in November I just walk out the door. I do have to get into my vehicle to go trout fishing and drive, gasp, 20 minutes.

    I have an 8 mile commute to work in Montpelier which, while small, has a surprising number of good restaurants, movie theaters, live theatrical productions, etc. It is small, though, and one often sees the same people on the street over and over again. On the one hand that it is nice--sense of community and all that good stuff, but on the other hand there are times when I'd like more anonymity.

    I like to visit big cities but can't imagine living in one. For one thing you need a boat load of money, especially so that you can get away. But, what do you do when you are home on, say, a weekend, and want to get out and stretch your legs? Run along some busy highway hyperventilating car exhaust? Go to a park that was designed by human beings and crowded with human beings? I just take a long walk or XC ski on my land.

    Edited to add: But, it sucks here, so don't move here.


    Yeah your just south and east of me (Ontario)
    Green rolling hills here as well

    We are remote enough here that in the 60's we had an influx of draft dodgers and commune flower children tryin to find nature

    And yes it sucks here also, so ya would'nt want to move here

  9. #59
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    In a country full of snowflakes
    Posts
    8,623
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Mt Boy View Post
    This is a pointless discussion. People like to live where they want to live--more often than not due to where the grew up--and there is no objective right or wrong to any given choice.

    I grew up in an old farmhouse two miles down a dirt road. My brother and I, and a couple of kids who lived down the road at a big dairy farm, would roam the woods with an axe in one hand and a .22 in the other. If it moved we shot it; if it didn't move we hacked it with the axe.

    Fast forward 40+ years and I am living in a old (but renovated) farmhouse on a dirt road about a mile from the pavement. Our house sits on 140 acres (it is an old hill farm), and we have a third interest (with my neighbors, who live far enough away that I can't see them) in another 77 acres. Our land backs up to 1000s of acres of forest owned by other people. I live where it very hilly. We're up on a big hill at 1,500 feet and have a 180 degree view of the Green Mountains from my front porch and beyond them I can see 60 miles over to Mt. Washington and the Presidential Range. When I deer hunt in November I just walk out the door. I do have to get into my vehicle to go trout fishing and drive, gasp, 20 minutes.

    I have an 8 mile commute to work in Montpelier which, while small, has a surprising number of good restaurants, movie theaters, live theatrical productions, etc. It is small, though, and one often sees the same people on the street over and over again. On the one hand that it is nice--sense of community and all that good stuff, but on the other hand there are times when I'd like more anonymity.

    I like to visit big cities but can't imagine living in one. For one thing you need a boat load of money, especially so that you can get away. But, what do you do when you are home on, say, a weekend, and want to get out and stretch your legs? Run along some busy highway hyperventilating car exhaust? Go to a park that was designed by human beings and crowded with human beings? I just take a long walk or XC ski on my land.

    Edited to add: But, it sucks here, so don't move here.
    Sounds like you live in a great place like me. Trout fishing and hunting ~20 minutes out the back door.

    I just spent the past 2 days this weekend fishing the trico hatch. Was a 25 minute drive to the spot. Life is good.

    Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

  10. #60
    Senior Member fishingcomic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    20,470
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    LA...could go surfing in the morning, skiing in the afternoon. Catch a concert at the Roxy that night.

    I love Wisconsin, but you can't do that in the cheesehead state.
    When I was younger and I would move away from California, I would make a point of skiing on Saturday and golfing on Sunday before I left.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •