Thread: ACA Question

ACA Question

Serious question: If the exchanges are by state why is the issue about counties with no coverage (and how would it work in states where there are no counties, or where they are just lines on a historical map with no political or administrative functions, like CT)?
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Apparently insurers participating in the exchanges can elect to offer health plans on a county by county basis. Must be that the risk profile of the population in certain counties scares them away. Just speculating.

Never heard of a state with no real counties.

GMB is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    Never heard of a state with no real counties.
    GMB is correct.
    Thanks to both for the ACA clarification.

Connecticut has counties only in the historical sense - you can find them on some maps but they ceased to be political/administrative entities in 1960, replaced by municipalities, mostly "cities" and "towns".
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Mt Boy View Post
    Apparently insurers participating in the exchanges can elect to offer health plans on a county by county basis. Must be that the risk profile of the population in certain counties scares them away. Just speculating.
    This sounds suspiciously like redlining.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan