Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Making America's Healthcare Great Again

Quote Originally Posted by George K View Post
    Try reading for comprehension this time.

Unlike any OB/GYN I know, Fitzgerald treated men as well as women. That's because besides being board-certified in obstetrics and gynecology, she is a fellow in "anti-aging medicine."...

...“I’m shocked,” Dr. Steven Goldstein, a professor of obstetrics and gynecology at the New York University School of Medicine and treasurer of the International Menopause Society, said after I told him that Fitzgerald’s biography identifies her as an anti-aging medicine fellow.

Goldstein described so-called anti-aging treatments as "snake oil" that "plays on people's worst fears about their mortality."

“If she [Fitzgerald] was one of these people who was marketing anti-aging medicine, that’s scary," he said.

Turns out that she was, which is pretty surprising for someone tapped to lead a federal agency that takes pride in its "culture of scientific integrity."..

...Among her credentials listed on the website: board certification in "Anti-Aging and Regenerative Medicine" by the American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine. However, the American Board of Medical Specialties, made up of the specialty boards that certify physicians, doesn’t recognize the American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine (A4M), which promotes the use of "intravenous nutritional therapy," "bioidentical hormone replacement therapy" (BHRT) and "pellet therapy," in which tiny pellets that contain hormones are placed under the skin.

A 2011 document on the A4M website notes that, thanks to the aging of the population, "the opportunities in the anti-aging market are vast, with the global market estimated to be worth $292 billion by 2015."

I didn't say she's a quack. I said she peddled Snake oil.
    And Anti-aging treatments is a pretty broad term, isn't it? http://www.webmd.com/beauty/features...reakthroughs#1

What exactly did she peddle?
    Last edited by MikeA; 07-19-2017 at 04:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    And Anti-aging treatments is a pretty broad term, isn't it? http://www.webmd.com/beauty/features...reakthroughs#1

What exactly did she peddle?
    Snake oil.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffco View Post
    Snake oil.
    Oh yea. I Guess my bullshit detector suppressed my reading comprehension.

Oh yea. I Guess my Trumpcrush suppressed my reading comprehension.
    Fixed. Gratis. You're welcome.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Fixed. Gratis. You're welcome.
    It has nothing to do with Trump and everything to do with media integrity.

It has nothing to do with Trump and everything to do with media integrity.
    What is wrong with reporting that she sold and promoted expensive bogus treatments and claimed board certification from a sham "Academy"? The article said nothing critical of her performance as an OB/GYN, or as a GA state official. What's your issue?

What is wrong with reporting that she sold and promoted expensive bogus treatments and claimed board certification from a sham "Academy"? The article said nothing critical of her performance as an OB/GYN, or as a GA state official. What's your issue?
    My issue is that this was a character assignation piece (one of many others lately) questioning her ability to head the CDC, based on nothing but opinion. No actual case of misconduct or malpractice, nothing from one of her patients, nothing from one of her colleagues. Just the "opinion" that anti ageing medicine is snake oil (it isn't). Guess they should have picked a Dr who made his fortune peddling big pharma approved drugs. You know like oxy and hydro...

My issue is that this was a character assignation piece
    Yes, for all intensive purposes.

You know what I meant. My iphone didn't

You know what I meant. My iphone didn't
    Jeez, and here I thought you claimed they were accusing her of an affair!

Bur seriously, it is indeed Snake oil, and the "Academy" is a money-making scam. If you can find peer-reviewed research by reputable scientists at reputable institutions that demonstrates otherwise I shall cheerfully stand corrected.