Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Making America's Healthcare Great Again

Making America's Healthcare Great Again

It just gets better, and better, and better...

p.s. Is the swamp drained yet?

Dr. Brenda Fitzgerald, appointed Friday as director of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, is a board-certified obstetrician/gynecologist who saw patients for 30 years in private practice.

Unlike any OB/GYN I know, Fitzgerald treated men as well as women. That's because besides being board-certified in obstetrics and gynecology, she is a fellow in "anti-aging medicine."...

...“I’m shocked,” Dr. Steven Goldstein, a professor of obstetrics and gynecology at the New York University School of Medicine and treasurer of the International Menopause Society, said after I told him that Fitzgerald’s biography identifies her as an anti-aging medicine fellow.

Goldstein described so-called anti-aging treatments as "snake oil" that "plays on people's worst fears about their mortality."

“If she [Fitzgerald] was one of these people who was marketing anti-aging medicine, that’s scary," he said.

Turns out that she was, which is pretty surprising for someone tapped to lead a federal agency that takes pride in its "culture of scientific integrity."

A CDC spokeswoman declined to provide a comment about Fitzgerald's anti-aging medicine practice. But thanks to the Internet Archive’s “Wayback Machine,” I was able to learn a little more about it. The Wayback Machine had captured the website for Fitzgerald's Carrollton, Ga., gynecology practice as it appeared on Aug. 23, 2010, about a year before she became Georgia's public health commissioner.

“In addition to seeing traditional gynecologic patients, we see both men and women for hormonal, nutritional and other anti-aging concerns,” the homepage states.

Among her credentials listed on the website: board certification in "Anti-Aging and Regenerative Medicine" by the American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine. However, the American Board of Medical Specialties, made up of the specialty boards that certify physicians, doesn’t recognize the American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine (A4M), which promotes the use of "intravenous nutritional therapy," "bioidentical hormone replacement therapy" (BHRT) and "pellet therapy," in which tiny pellets that contain hormones are placed under the skin.

A 2011 document on the A4M website notes that, thanks to the aging of the population, "the opportunities in the anti-aging market are vast, with the global market estimated to be worth $292 billion by 2015."

You might be familiar with the highest-profile proselytizer of what has come to be called the "anti-aging medicine movement": actress Suzanne Somers, best-known for her role in the sitcom Three's Company, which debuted 40 years ago. Besides the Thighmaster, Somers attributes her youthful looks to BHRT. Bioidentical hormones typically are compounded, or formulated, by a pharmacist for individual patients, contributing to their cachet of being more "natural" than mass-produced hormone medications...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ritarub.../#4a4e8e451ef8
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

So much winning.

Bring on Universal Healthcare and minimum wage for my new profession!

Ugh, just unreal.
    Maybe she can recommend some herbal supplements when the inevitable bird flu outbreak begins.

Maybe she'll prescribe anti-aging essential oils made from naval stores. Cause trees live longer than people.

"Just rub this pine resin on three times a day."
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.

She must be as stupid as Dr Ben Carson.... eye roll. This place is starting to sound like right wing radio, for the left.
    Last edited by MikeA; 07-19-2017 at 01:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    She must be as stupid as Dr Ben Carson.... eye roll. This place is starting to sound like right wing radio, for the left.
    Carson isn't stupid. He just doesn't know anything about the area of responsibility of the agency he now heads. He might have been a decent choice for Tom Price's job, he whose ambition for the last decade or so has been to eliminate Medicare so that he and other doctors can make more money and have fewer rules to follow.

Perhaps you have imbibed so much of Trump's Kool Aid that you are comfortable having someone who promoted quack cures in charge of medical research in the United States. Many are not.

Quote Originally Posted by George K View Post
    Carson isn't stupid. He just doesn't know anything about the area of responsibility of the agency he now heads. He might have been a decent choice for Tom Price's job, he whose ambition for the last decade or so has been to eliminate Medicare so that he and other doctors can make more money and have fewer rules to follow.

Perhaps you have imbibed so much of Trump's Kool Aid that you are comfortable having someone who promoted quack cures in charge of medical research in the United States. Many are not.
    For starters, bioidentical hormone replacement therapy isn't quack cures. I'm not so quick to condemn someone who's clearly accomplished much in her 30 + year career as a physician based on some lazy journalist's interpretation from an "internet way back" article.

http://www.npr.org/2017/07/07/536025...w-cdc-director

"The Trump administration has named a new director to head the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Dr. Brenda Fitzgerald comes from Georgia, where she's led the state's public health department and where the CDC is located. She takes the helm at a time when the agency could face budget cuts.

ELLY YU, BYLINE: Fitzgerald replaces Dr. Tom Frieden, who left the CDC in January at the end of the Obama administration. The 70-year-old is an OB-GYN and led Georgia's Public Health Department for the past six years. There, she's overseen efforts like preventing Zika and coordinating the state's response to Ebola. In 2014, several Americans who got the disease were treated at Emory University in Atlanta."

So this sounds like a quack to you?
    Last edited by MikeA; 07-19-2017 at 03:02 PM.

I'll say it again. I hope that the in depth reporting and mud slinging is the new media norm going forward for all cabinet members and appointees from both sides of the aisle. I sure got sick of the all cheer leading the last 8 years.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    For starters, bioidentical hormone replacement therapy isn't quack cures. I'm not so quick to condemn someone who's clearly accomplished much in her 30 + year career as a physician based on some lazy journalist's interpretation from an "internet way back" article.

http://www.npr.org/2017/07/07/536025...w-cdc-director

"The Trump administration has named a new director to head the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Dr. Brenda Fitzgerald comes from Georgia, where she's led the state's public health department and where the CDC is located. She takes the helm at a time when the agency could face budget cuts.

ELLY YU, BYLINE: Fitzgerald replaces Dr. Tom Frieden, who left the CDC in January at the end of the Obama administration. The 70-year-old is an OB-GYN and led Georgia's Public Health Department for the past six years. There, she's overseen efforts like preventing Zika and coordinating the state's response to Ebola. In 2014, several Americans who got the disease were treated at Emory University in Atlanta."

So this sounds like a quack to you?
    Try reading for comprehension this time.

Unlike any OB/GYN I know, Fitzgerald treated men as well as women. That's because besides being board-certified in obstetrics and gynecology, she is a fellow in "anti-aging medicine."...

...“I’m shocked,” Dr. Steven Goldstein, a professor of obstetrics and gynecology at the New York University School of Medicine and treasurer of the International Menopause Society, said after I told him that Fitzgerald’s biography identifies her as an anti-aging medicine fellow.

Goldstein described so-called anti-aging treatments as "snake oil" that "plays on people's worst fears about their mortality."

“If she [Fitzgerald] was one of these people who was marketing anti-aging medicine, that’s scary," he said.

Turns out that she was, which is pretty surprising for someone tapped to lead a federal agency that takes pride in its "culture of scientific integrity."..

...Among her credentials listed on the website: board certification in "Anti-Aging and Regenerative Medicine" by the American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine. However, the American Board of Medical Specialties, made up of the specialty boards that certify physicians, doesn’t recognize the American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine (A4M), which promotes the use of "intravenous nutritional therapy," "bioidentical hormone replacement therapy" (BHRT) and "pellet therapy," in which tiny pellets that contain hormones are placed under the skin.

A 2011 document on the A4M website notes that, thanks to the aging of the population, "the opportunities in the anti-aging market are vast, with the global market estimated to be worth $292 billion by 2015."

I didn't say she's a quack. I said she peddled Snake oil.