Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: If You Could do Anything in Life

Quote Originally Posted by swizz View Post
    Post a pic.
    I'll have to go get one. THis is the cabin. We're under contract on it now but I'm waiting on them to provide an engineering report on the issue, The back where the bulge is, is block basement and stacked log the rest of the way up. It matches the front. In the front they used some vertical logs though.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...90212948_zpid/

Quote Originally Posted by CO Native View Post
    I just used him as an example. Even though I don't like all of his stuff, it's done right and is very classy.
    His designs and drawings are very impressive for the most part, however... Joe Rogan is a bit of a car fanatic and had nothing but problems and poor handling from a 1st gen Camaro resto-mod from Chip. His stuff looks good, but....
    Last edited by swizz; 06-29-2017 at 05:07 PM.
    All of your Trout are belong to me.

This is the inside of that wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn C. View Post
    I think about this sometimes. I've always considered myself a bit of an under-achiever. It's ok, not everyone gets to be an astronaut and I do ok for myself. However, I didn't realize until a bit later in life that I could have been an excellent student. So if I could go back but with the level of maturity and foresight that I have now (still not a whole lot!) I think I would work towards something like paleoanthropology or other scientific discipline. Something where the learning is continual and the field is continually evolving would be really interesting to me.
    I like it.

Anthropological psychology fascinates me. It's a fledgling discipline with lots of problems but something that should have considered decades ago. Freud, Jung and their lapdogs actually set us back nearly a hundred years.
    I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
    I find the willingness to give it up frightening.

I can only applaud swizz. Just think if thirty years ago we started making knives. Back then there was only one blacksmith within a hundred miles of here And I had the idea....Today there are more knifemakers than yoga studios, potters and dance classes.

His designs and drawings are very impressive for the most part, however... Joe Rogan is a bit of a car fanatic and had nothing but problems and poor handling from a 1st gen Camaro resto-mod from Chip. His stuff looks good, but....
    That's interesting, with all of the high end parts he uses, I figured a blind monkey could make it handle good ;-)

Wetdog,
    I don't think it was ever a great plan for a career path unless you're someone like Jay Fisher but a damn fun addictive hobby and personally rewarding. Never too late in life to take up knifemaking.
    Last edited by swizz; 06-29-2017 at 05:39 PM.
    All of your Trout are belong to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Wetdog View Post
    This thread had a lot to do with you. In the hospital I figured you would've loved the Nursing instructor. And you seemed to talk a bit differently when talking about nursing. And your situation being like what sherb and Swizz describe...the wish I had done something earlier, maybe someone would get the idea that "screw it I am going give it a try." And screw cultural expectations completely. The psychology of cultural expectations is very dangerous which seeks little more than you thinking what they want you to. Find the way through them, around them, and you can "afford it," just knock them out of your way. But responsibility and timing narrows our opportunities. Strike while the iron is hot.

To my way of thinking a successful life is one where you have a reason to smile at the end of most days. Not smiles for profit, not smiles for things, but for taken responsibility, to come close to your values, to see a smile on a family members face or a strangers face equally. If you get rid of expectations that you lay on others and only have them for yourself, you learn, Much of we call unhappiness just disappears after lots of success and failure.
    Thank you for posting this. You know what my problem is, all jokes aside? Nature and nurture. Trying to live up to a successful father and grandfather, predisposed to anxiety (from mom). So I feel like I'm just out to sea and have faltered these first 15 years of being on my own. I know I'll be great in the field. I scored off the charts on the nursing test, especially the critical thinking and prioritization of care module.

I volunteered at the nursing home for over a year and loved it. Nothing more satisfying than talking with those old folks, making them smile, listening to their problems with empathy, not just sympathy. My dad has no empathy. So it's just taken me a long time to realize I'm not like him, and that's ok. I can be better in a different way.

Thanks, Mike, for these words. You've encouraged me. Consider this one of those "whops upside the head".

DAmn IT Buffy I have one of those smiles on my face along with a few tears. You have found something that most never do. A hundred thumbs up. I did nothing here, you took the reins awhile back. Compassion and empathy do not fail. They only fail when forgotten. Sympathy is a dividing emotion. here is me there is you. Avoid it, empathy is understanding. When you understand another the differences no longer matter. You've helped me get closer to that.

Thank you sir.

Wetdog,
    I don't think it was ever a great plan for a career path unless you're someone like Jay Fisher but a damn fun addictive hobby and personally rewarding. Never too late in life to take up knifemaking.
    Not a great plan??? Hell I could be at Jason Knights level by now.