Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: If You Could do Anything in Life

That said, I just completed my entrance exam for the RN program. I have a shot at getting in this fall, but if not I'll definitely be in next year.

NP of Psychiatry is the goal I've set for myself. Maybe I'll die before then. That would be cool.

With the talents and abilities I have? I'd still do what I do, just not have to worry about the administrative stuff.

If I could play guitar better? Yeah, I'd do that. I love music. I'm just not good enough to survive at it, much less make a living at it....

Quote Originally Posted by sherb View Post
    Yeah, definitely. I probably would have gone that route, that or history or political science, but the Boomers had all the academic jobs locked up and the job market for tenure track positions was and is non-existent. and because there's such a glut of PhD's, the salaries are low. I couldn't do it now, not with a mortgage and two kids. But, I try to keep up on my reading. The last thing I read was the Birth of Tragedy, a serious deep-dive.
    I thought I had remembered that you have brought that up before, I just couldn't remember.

Twenty thumbs up.
    I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
    I find the willingness to give it up frightening.

Building custom cars. I watch what Chip Foose does and I get a woody. Granted, I have 1/100th of his talent, but it would be so much fun have the time and money to try.

Quote Originally Posted by CO Native View Post
    Building custom cars.
    ooooooo... that's a good one. I'm not a fan of Chip's work but more in the category of Desert Rat Rods and Diesel Bros. Same deal though, that would not have been a bad career choice for either of us. I can do this on the side as a 'passion'... a friend has a full garage with car lift and all the goodies. But, money.... high performance parts are expensive.
    All of your Trout are belong to me.

Quote Originally Posted by swizz View Post
    Difficult question, I have always had an 'excess' of passions and pretty happy with my career path.
    Career: I love working on log homes... the architecture, work locations, environments, and overall challenge. I only wish I had self-employed earlier in life.
    Passions: Skiing/snowboarding (passions for most of my life, joints can't take it anymore), flyfishing and fishing in general... lifelong passion, Mining - I really, really wish I had started this endeavor earlier in life, Knifemaking - absolutely in love with making knives and also wish I had started at an earlier age. I'll find a few more passions before it's over.
    Question. if there is a slight bulge in a stacked log wall between the 2nd floor and the peak. Should I be worried about it? Owner said it's settling that caused it.

Pilot of some sort. Always loved flying.

I just used him as an example. Even though I don't like all of his stuff, it's done right and is very classy. It's a fun hobby, but I'd love to make a living out of it. My last project was a lowered S10 blazer that I plopped a 350 in. I must have put 30 hours into rolling the rear pan the way I wanted it. Chip could do it in 15 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    Question. if there is a slight bulge in a stacked log wall between the 2nd floor and the peak. Should I be worried about it? Owner said it's settling that caused it.
    Post a pic.
    All of your Trout are belong to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffco View Post
    That said, I just completed my entrance exam for the RN program. I have a shot at getting in this fall, but if not I'll definitely be in next year.

NP of Psychiatry is the goal I've set for myself. Maybe I'll die before then. That would be cool.
    This thread had a lot to do with you. In the hospital I figured you would've loved the Nursing instructor. And you seemed to talk a bit differently when talking about nursing. And your situation being like what sherb and Swizz describe...the wish I had done something earlier, maybe someone would get the idea that "screw it I am going give it a try." And screw cultural expectations completely. The psychology of cultural expectations is very dangerous which seeks little more than you thinking what they want you to. Find the way through them, around them, and you can "afford it," just knock them out of your way. But responsibility and timing narrows our opportunities. Strike while the iron is hot.

To my way of thinking a successful life is one where you have a reason to smile at the end of most days. Not smiles for profit, not smiles for things, but for taken responsibility, to come close to your values, to see a smile on a family members face or a strangers face equally. If you get rid of expectations that you lay on others and only have them for yourself, you learn, Much of we call unhappiness just disappears after lots of success and failure.
    I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
    I find the willingness to give it up frightening.