Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: If You Could do Anything in Life

If You Could do Anything in Life

what would be, what would you do?

This was inspired by a UW Oshkosh nursing instructor. She was amazing, her students loved her and you could tell that she loved every minute of it and them. It's been awhile since I taught and was reminded of how much I loved it. For me there is nothing more special than teaching except for maybe learning, because you can't really teach if you don't continue to learn.
    I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
    I find the willingness to give it up frightening.

I think about this sometimes. I've always considered myself a bit of an under-achiever. It's ok, not everyone gets to be an astronaut and I do ok for myself. However, I didn't realize until a bit later in life that I could have been an excellent student. So if I could go back but with the level of maturity and foresight that I have now (still not a whole lot!) I think I would work towards something like paleoanthropology or other scientific discipline. Something where the learning is continual and the field is continually evolving would be really interesting to me.

Two chicks at the same time, man.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Philosophy professor.

I would NOT choose to work in the fly fishing industry. That's a good way to turn something you love into something you hate.

You know this kind of question still haunts me and causes unnecessary hangups. I. Don't. Know.

A job is a job. What I WANT to do is sleep late, play some Xbox, fish a little, think about hunting but don't go because I'm sleeping... I have no driving passion for any one thing, and it has caused me much mental anguish and time. Just whatever pays the bills and has some left over.

Quote Originally Posted by sherb View Post
    Philosophy professor.

I would NOT choose to work in the fly fishing industry. That's a good way to turn something you love into something you hate.
    I understand that. Is that Philosophy proff thing for real?

My number two would be teaching religious studies....esp eastern. My number one is Chinese internal martial arts. The problem comes when it is a hobby,even a passionate one. I've known a few people who have gone into the fishing industry (and other similar hobbies)and never fished (or whatever) again.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffco View Post
    You know this kind of question still haunts me and causes unnecessary hangups. I. Don't. Know.

A job is a job. What I WANT to do is sleep late, play some Xbox, fish a little, think about hunting but don't go because I'm sleeping... I have no driving passion for any one thing, and it has caused me much mental anguish and time. Just whatever pays the bills and has some left over.

Nothing wrong with that, you've just never have been hit upside head hard enough by something to bring a passion. Most never find that driving passion, sometimes it's due to circumstances, for others like you said "paying the bills," sometimes it's societies expectations.

One thing I would argue is a job doesn't have to be job, BUT they usually are little more than that. I'd love to sleep late everyday like you, go fishing (I don't hunt anymore) when I felt like it. If I get five to six hours a night I am nearly in heaven. I hope you find something it adds a lot to the "flavor." Maybe a brew master?

Yeah, definitely. I probably would have gone that route, that or history or political science, but the Boomers had all the academic jobs locked up and the job market for tenure track positions was and is non-existent. and because there's such a glut of PhD's, the salaries are low. I couldn't do it now, not with a mortgage and two kids. But, I try to keep up on my reading. The last thing I read was the Birth of Tragedy, a serious deep-dive.

A few friends of mine are in sales in the industry I work in. They work very little, make a shit ton of money on residuals, set their own work schedule (if you want to call it work) and hunt, fish, vacation or (insert favorite hobby here) at will.

I kinda wish I would have went that route to so I had more free time to do the things I want to do. Not what someone else wants me to do.

With that said...I make the most of time on evenings, weekends and my vacation time which is why I spend very little time in front of the TV, newspaper or books. Never have time. Haven't looked at the TV since April. Haven't been home before 9pm most nights the past 2 months.

Because if you're not busy living, you might as well get busy dying...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by NZ Indicator; 06-29-2017 at 03:13 PM.

Difficult question, I have always had an 'excess' of passions and pretty happy with my career path.
    Career: I love working on log homes... the architecture, work locations, environments, and overall challenge. I only wish I had self-employed earlier in life.
    Passions: Skiing/snowboarding (passions for most of my life, joints can't take it anymore), flyfishing and fishing in general... lifelong passion, Mining - I really, really wish I had started this endeavor earlier in life, Knifemaking - absolutely in love with making knives and also wish I had started at an earlier age. I'll find a few more passions before it's over.
    All of your Trout are belong to me.