Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Confession time

My best friend just sent me this text message. "IPA stands for I Puked Again."
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.

Quote Originally Posted by breamfisher View Post
    I don't think he's a real Southerner. Possibly not even a true American. (Of course, he is a Ginger.....)
    Now he's a Jewish, Ginger Basque. This is what an identity crisis looks like.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffco View Post
    Steven was being awfully stingy with the Jew points.
    I see what you did there.

Quote Originally Posted by Wetdog View Post
    ...I've been told for decades that I am a fool and a heathen for not liking Mozart. I appreciate certain academic components, but to he's every bit as "good" as Paul McCartney. I may dislike Paulies little nonsense ditties, but I am not going to look down on anyone that does. It's all subjective.
    "It's all subjective" is the biggest cop-out of all, whether we're talking about drinks, art, music, ethno-cultures or whatever. It is at not all subjective or relative.

You're not necessarily "a fool and a heathen" for not liking Mozart, but liking and comprehending his genius are two different things. Ditto for those who denigrate Paul McCartney's music, although he is not even close to being in Mozart's league.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Whiskey. We are in America.
    Maker's Mark, George Dickel and Old Forester are called "whisky". I do not know why.

Quote Originally Posted by George K View Post
    "It's all subjective" is the biggest cop-out of all, whether we're talking about drinks, art, music, ethno-cultures or whatever. It is at not all subjective or relative.

You're not necessarily "a fool and a heathen" for not liking Mozart, but liking and comprehending his genius are two different things. Ditto for those who denigrate Paul McCartney's music, although he is not even close to being in Mozart's league.
    I am talking personal Taste. Why can't you have any respect for that. It's not like I am some knob that didn't have classes in music theory and composition. What hits the gut, that is what is powerful in music, that brings us to understanding at a different level. It appears that to you the intellectual part is what is more important, hence not being subjective then you would be right, but you are not. I knew you were in the Mozart camp and it's tinged with arrogance ,my Sherry connoisseur tells me that I don't "understand it." Maybe I have misunderstood you but you seem to be saying the same thing. I expect that you think that George Martin and his symphonic backgrounds were the greatest thing that happened to the Beatles and to not be appreciate it is just wrong and displays ignorance. In a way Mozart was the pop musician of the time. That's not the only way he compares with McCartney. Each for their time displayed a cuteness. Comprehending and liking are two things, one is subjective and the other isn't. But isn't that one of my points?

If someone hates a whiskey's taste but likes another in their nostrils and taste buds, it is a subjective "judgement." Liking Swing over Fusion jazz is subjective for most people, liking Hot jazz over Cool is subjective. I understand why people shout at the rooftops over Duke Ellington and Miles Davis, but only few of their compositions I'll listen to and that is not for intellectual poverty or my lack of understanding and comprehension. It's because I don't like the music, but I may respect and love one's playing ability. That's me and Miles Davis.....I love Jazz, not because of historical context and development of a style of music. That is subjective sir. I once thought Italian suits (ashamed) were cool I would hate them today. It's subjective and it changes over and over.

I "Know" a mass produced porcelain kitty vase is kitsch, but so what. There is no comparison with a Korean celedon vase from the Goryeo Dynasty thrown by a master craftsman. Most don't care if something is hand thrown on a kick wheel. It does have some influence on me because I appreciate the work, how it influences the clay under the hand but that has nothing to do with me buying it or not. I love Korean kick wheels btw. Like music, I wouldn't buy the kitty bowl because I don't appreciate it and not because it is deemed intellectually inferior. I have two mass produced cast bowls that I love because of their shape and how it improves certain functions, and I love the weight of them. I like them better than my Warren Mackenzie bowls and plates. The feel of a pot in my hand tells me how much I like it. For me, that is what defines a "good" pot and that is subjective, I don't care where the artist/craftsmen ranks in the intellectual community. I am pretty sure most operate in this way. For most it is how the color of the pottery fits their decor. That is subjective.

I am not talking in black and white terms. I hope that we have some type of misunderstanding taking place.......

Apparently I've denigrated a couple of your favorites.....
    I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
    I find the willingness to give it up frightening.

Quote Originally Posted by George K View Post
    Maker's Mark, George Dickel and Old Forester are called "whisky". I do not know why.
    Dickel used it because he thought his product was as good as a Scottish whisky, and to promote it as such. Forester probably because it's such an old label and to point out that it's very well-established. And Maker's Mark? Probably to make folks think it's an older label.

I think it's all marketing-related. At one time American whiskeys were viewed as inferior to Scotch and Irish whiskys.

Whiskey. We are in America.
    Damn f-cking straight.

Des Moines Confluence IPA in a can. sherb, I sh-t you not.

Dickel used it because he thought his product was as good as a Scottish whisky, and to promote it as such. Forester probably because it's such an old label and to point out that it's very well-established. And Maker's Mark? Probably to make folks think it's an older label.

I think it's all marketing-related. At one time American whiskeys were viewed as inferior to Scotch and Irish whiskys.
    Suntory owns Beam and scads of other brands around the world, mostly down or mid-market ones (the single malts Scotches are an exception). The Beam Suntory subsidiary owns Makers Mark and a bunch of other bourbons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beam_Suntory

Quote Originally Posted by ricinus View Post
    It's whisky dammit..

Mike
    http://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrin...L&ocid=U452DHP