Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Guys , post something

Quote Originally Posted by ricinus View Post
    Hopefully not infectious, eh..

Mike
    I don't think so. She was one of two runts out of a litter of 14. Not really surprised. They all get exposed to the same bacteria, and most of them have healthy enough immune systems to fight it off. I've lost one pig to this same thing before. Usually if they make it to about 8 weeks, they'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn C. View Post
    That is too bad, Buffy.
    Ehh, circle of life, yaknow? I'm just glad my kids are exposed to it. I mean, I don't hold their eye lids open and make them watch me shoot it, but if they ask, I tell them. Even my 8 year old drama queen daughter has a remarkably mature attitude about it. She just said, "Aww. Well, at least she got to live for four weeks!"

Then promptly started screaming at her older sister about the tv or something. Yeah. She's well balanced, that one.

That is too bad, Buffy.

Thanks for the feedback, Mike. The Wulff lines are actually a couple of bucks cheaper than other top-end lines from SA, Orvis, Rio, etc. Damn those things are all so expensive though!
    I tried some of the new stuff from Rio and SA and to be honest I'm not sure they were that much better than my fav Cortland 444. The SA Sharkskin did shoot out well but I didn't care for the feel..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...

Probably my favorite line of all time was an Orvis. It stayed slick for a really long time. My current line is Rio and it is ok but seems to be wearing prematurely. I'll put the old Rio on a spool and use it for streamer fishing.

Still at the conference?

I have a question for the group that I have never found a clear answer on.

So, when you purchase a brand new knotless leader and affix it to your fly line do you immediately put an extra;length of tippet material? Comic does this (I think) but I've never read where you are supposed to do this or not. I don't. If I attach a new 9' 5X I just fish it and then add on new 5X tippet material after a few flies.
    This is for dry fly fishing of course. I'm not a savage.
    I buy 9 ft. 3x leaders and attach a 3ft piece of 4x on it. Leader lasts longer this way.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by NZ Indicator; 06-15-2017 at 10:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NZ Indicator View Post
    I buy 9 ft. 3x leaders and attach s 3ft piece of 4x on it. Leader lasts longer this way.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Similar here, although with the streams I fish I start with a 9' 4x or 5x leader and add 3' or more of 5x or 6x tippet. For tricos I start with a 6x leader and add 6' of 7x. For bass on top I fish a 6' leader with 3' of anywhere from 2x to 4x tippet depending on the species and the fly, the leader one or two x sizes heavier than the tippet.

For shad and bass subsurface I start with a 6' 1x leader and a - shock, horror - tippet ring, then add about 2' of 2x.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Quote Originally Posted by George K View Post
    Similar here, although with the streams I fish I start with a 9' 4x or 5x leader and add 3' or more of 5x or 6x tippet. For tricos I start with a 6x leader and add 6' of 7x. For bass on top I fish a 6' leader with 3' of anywhere from 2x to 4x tippet depending on the species and the fly, the leader one or two x sizes heavier than the tippet.

For shad and bass subsurface I start with a 6' 1x leader and a - shock, horror - tippet ring, then add about 2' of 2x.
    For the streams here that would leave you casting nothing but the leader.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

I love the RW triangle taper line. Started using it back in the 90's on my stiff 5wt. I think the front is a little heavier and makes loading the rod a lot easier. On my softer rods, I didn't like it as much.
    So if you have a fairly stiff rod, you'll probably like it.

Quote Originally Posted by George K View Post

Over the years, I've found 4x works for almost everything I need it to for trout fishing. Covers the majority of flies I use from size 10-16. Size 8 and larger (mostly streamers) I'll attach 3x to the end. Size 18 and up 6x. I don't even bother with 7x anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by NZ Indicator View Post
    Over the years, I've found 4x works for almost everything I need it to for trout fishing. Covers the majority of flies I use from size 10-16. Size 8 and larger (mostly streamers) I'll attach 3x to the end. Size 18 and up 6x. I don't even bother with 7x anymore.
    If I'm I'm matching the hatch I usually am fishing size 16-20 flies. I use 4x for attracters, most terrestrials, drakes and nymphing. The 7x is just for tricos.

Four x is too heavy for spring creek browns feeding on small stuff.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.