Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sacred Harp

Sacred Harp

Is there a Jewish version?

Asking for a friend..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...

We are non denominational. I've sang with Jews, Catholics, Anabaptists, Protestants, even non believers.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I did not know that. I assumed it was a Southern Baptist thing..

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by ricinus View Post

Mike
    If you mean "Southern Baptist" as in the denomination, no. It's very, very, very rare to hear it done in a Southern Baptist Church.

If you mean "Southern Baptist" as in Baptists in the South, well, it depends. More common it seems in Primitive Baptists, Independent Baptists, and such.

[QUOTE=ricinus;210236]Is there a Jewish version?

I was raised Southern Baptist and I'm completely baffled at the term, could you explain, please?

Never mind, I looked it up myself. I'd heard of it as 'Shape-note singing.' My understanding was that it was practiced mainly in rural areas by very traditional, 'hardshell' churches of various denominations.

Jim
    Last edited by magalloway; 06-12-2017 at 03:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by breamfisher View Post
    If you mean "Southern Baptist" as in the denomination, no. It's very, very, very rare to hear it done in a Southern Baptist Church.

If you mean "Southern Baptist" as in Baptists in the South, well, it depends. More common it seems in Primitive Baptists, Independent Baptists, and such.
    I'm not sure. I followed a link on Facebook that popped up and it just said Southern Baptist as the origin. Can't find it now..

Mike

Might be my bad and have said Southern Protestant..

Mike

I'm not sure. I followed a link on Facebook that popped up and it just said Southern Baptist as the origin. Can't find it now..

Mike
    No worries. I was posting for information, not correction.

I can't say 100% for sure since I can't read music and don't know a whole lot about its intricacies.

We have congregational singing (also choirs but usually just on the High Holy Days) led by a cantor. Most prayers are actually sung. Sometimes, the music is redone, so different temples may actually have different tunes, so that kind of sucks if you move and you're no longer singing tunes you really like. There are others that never ever will get redone (such as Kol Nidre, the opening prayer for Yom Kippur eve).

There are no instruments used in Orthodox or Conservative temples, but instruments are used in Reform synagogues.

Our music tends to be more haunting than either Roman Catholic (which just sucks by the way, at least in English) or Protestant. I guess a few thousand years of persecution, destruction and diaspora can do that.

We have beautiful tunes like Kol Nidre, L'cha Dodi, Adon Alom, Ashrei, Etz Chaim, etc.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...A&&FORM=VDRVRV

Mike
    No, it's a Baptist thing. As in, before the split between Primitive (original) Baptists, and Southern (new-fangled) Baptists. It has it's roots in England protestant hymnal singing. You are correct, in that it was confined to the south for many many generations. But with the advent of the internet, there are now Sacred Harp sings all over the country. We've sang in Alaska, Poland, the Twin Cities, New York, Chicago, Portland... These are all relatively young sings (only started in the last decade or so.) Our sing in my local town is 150 years old. I can trace it back through my family.