Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What's the Difference?

I try not to be an asshole. I think I mostly succeed. Life is short.

I think I know who Eugene is. If it's who I think it is, there is a tell he has that I'm waiting on...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

So the takeaway is we are all privileged but we need to check it to keep from becoming entitled. They're is only one unprivileged person in the world, and it's whoever is at the bottom of the totem pole. Everyone else? Check your privilege.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene View Post

So that's the difference. Privilege is something that happens to you, and which you can choose to address in a number of ways if you wish. Entitlement is that feeling that, when you feel it, should remind you you're being an asshole.

Here's the thing. Eugene acts ticked that some people don't appreciate their good fortune, and feels "entitled" to inform them of their lack. Does it do any good to tell entitled shitheads and assholes what they are? My long experience with such people says Probably Not. Feeling you have the right or even duty to tell entitled people how entitled they are seems to make a person just another entitled person. Kvetching about the "entitled" sounds like just more pissing into the wind.

I'm interested in knowing what you think shows that I "act ticked." One of the many ways our privilege may affect us is that it causes to ascribe to others the emotional states that we believe are "appropriate." This is the root cause of much race-based misunderstanding: people of diverse backgrounds have different reactions to things than we expect them to, and we treat that as them misunderstanding, when in fact, they understood us, they just feel differently about the topic than we do. So, to improve communication, what did I write that led you to conclude I "act ticked?"

edit to add: And I don't feel entitled to inform you of anything. I put the words out there, you decide whether to read them. I do not feel at all entitled to somehow require you to read. But I've watched you all enough to know that most of you won't be able to resist. Just as I could not resist joining in.
    Last edited by Eugene; 06-09-2017 at 08:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    I was one of those unfortunates born to upper middle-class professionals and nurtured in an environment of learning, art and a socio-religious culture steeped in more than 2000 years of Talmudic tradition.

Not everyone is lucky enough to have been raised in a whiskey tango trailer park by a bow-legged female whose sole qualification for motherhood is a womb that happened to catch a sperm of a passing truck driver.
    I was raised as one of the Goyim who wear blue paint, funny dresses and run around shouting "Freedom!!"

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...

OK Brothers of the Lodge.....We may not be perfect as to live up to made up standards----but we are us....today...that's all that matters

I avoid analyzing others too closely...cuz dammit somebody will analyze me---and who the hell knows what we'll find

I'm stuck in Terre Haute, IN with a bunch of in-laws that like to vape. It's 85 and humid and I'm stuck in a fenced in yard with 4 screaming kids and 4 greyhound dogs running around.

I do not feel privileged or entitled right now.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by NZ Indicator View Post
    I'm stuck in Terre Haute, IN with a bunch of in-laws that like to vape. It's 85 and humid and I'm stuck in a fenced in yard with 4 screaming kids and 4 greyhound dogs running around.

I do not feel privileged or entitled right now.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Damn!!...Did you piss somebody off?

Pretty sure you feel a flu comin on and have to head home.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffco View Post
    I think I know who Eugene is. If it's who I think it is, there is a tell he has that I'm waiting on...

I had an idea, but not enough typos.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.