Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the Difference?

What's the Difference?

A magazine I sometimes read has a regular feature called "What's the difference?" where they compare two related products. Let's try that here.

Privilege vs. Entitlement - What's the difference?

I've pointed out that this bulletin board is populated primarily (overwhelmingly) by those who came from places of privilege. Steven, however, claims that I called you all "entitled pricks." But privilege is NOT the same as entitlement. And the differences are worth exploring.

People are born to privilege. I certainly was. If you are a white male born in America, then you are definitely born to privilege, though the extent of that privilege can still vary. Fore example, I was born to upper-middle class white folk, while poor Buford, well, we're safer not speculating about his lineage. There's nothing we can do about how we were born. That was between your mom and your dad and the divine being of your choice. You can choose how to use your privilege, but its existence and extent are simply facts that occurred in your life.

A sense of entitlement, on the other hand, well that's just a marker for how much of a shithead you are. None of us starts out entitled to very much, and nearly all of us spend all of our lives not entitled to very much. There are exceptions. Mother Theresa, for instance, presents an example of generalized entitlement. And in particular circumstances we may each gain a temporary and highly specific entitlement (e.g., if I paid you for an ice cream sandwich, I am indeed entitled to one of your ice cream sandwiches). But feeling that you are entitled to, for instance: a good living; to not be called out on how you've chosen to use the privileges and advantages you've been given; to be respected for having lined your pockets; to receive accolades for having won a race in which you were given a massive head start; or to be listened to merely because you can afford a computer and an internet connection. No, you are entitled to none of those things. And if you believe you are, and if you act as if you are, then you're just a shithead.

So that's the difference. Privilege is something that happens to you, and which you can choose to address in a number of ways if you wish. Entitlement is that feeling that, when you feel it, should remind you you're being an asshole.

From you, bro:

Dam right I'm privileged, and I know it, so I take it into account when forming my opinions. Which means I don't do things lke just assume that because someone is accused they must be guilty, or that because the government classified something, it was actually sensitive. You can't eliminate your privilege, you can only learn to account for it.

So doesn't it follow that since we don't know it, or, even worse, haven't learned to account for it, you're just calling us privileged (or entitled, take your pick) pricks? Seems like it to me. You get it, we don't.

FWIW, I'm a huge beneficiary of the lucky sperm club. Known that since I was ten years old. That doesn't change reality.

Eugene, They say we are most irritated by people who are most like ourselves. I'd say you have a strong attitude about people who you think have an attitude. Same same.

Quote Originally Posted by creekguy View Post
    Eugene, They say we are most irritated by people who are most like ourselves. I'd say you have a strong attitude about people who you think have an attitude. Same same.
    Not at all sure what this was supposed to mean. I would say that there are attitudes I like and some that I don't. Everyone has attitudes, human condition and whatnot. Sometimes they arise through no fault of the individual. Other times, people should really just know better.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
    A sense of entitlement, on the other hand, well that's just a marker for how much of a shithead you are. None of us starts out entitled to very much, and nearly all of us spend all of our lives not entitled to very much. There are exceptions. Mother Theresa, for instance, presents an example of generalized entitlement. And in particular circumstances we may each gain a temporary and highly specific entitlement (e.g., if I paid you for an ice cream sandwich, I am indeed entitled to one of your ice cream sandwiches). But feeling that you are entitled to, for instance: a good living; to not be called out on how you've chosen to use the privileges and advantages you've been given; to be respected for having lined your pockets; to receive accolades for having won a race in which you were given a massive head start; or to be listened to merely because you can afford a computer and an internet connection. No, you are entitled to none of those things. And if you believe you are, and if you act as if you are, then you're just a shithead.
    This is the long-form definition of millenial. And in a round about way, IMO, can also be the definition of your average flaming liberal.

Quote Originally Posted by NZ Indicator View Post
    This is the long-form definition of millenial. And in a round about way, IMO, can also be the definition of your average flaming liberal.
    Nah!!....I'm a flaming liberal and he's never at the meetings

Whoever you might be, have you ever bagged dried horse shit to sell to rose growers in order to pay for your Boy scout uniforms/equipment/camps? If you haven't, don't talk too much about white male privilege to me, I grew up on the raggedy end of "working poor, slogged my ass through Vietnam in Tet, 1968, managed to turn it into two degrees and worked in IT technical writing for fifteen years. I finally lost my ability to hold a job at the time of the Desert Storm due to PTSD/major depression. Entitlement? The Gubment owes me, and I feel virtually no assholishness on the first of the month when I find that total/permanent disability deposit in my checking account. Go pound sand.

Jim

Not at all sure what this was supposed to mean. I would say that there are attitudes I like and some that I don't. Everyone has attitudes, human condition and whatnot. Sometimes they arise through no fault of the individual. Other times, people should really just know better.
    Aren't you just precious. Please list your likes and dislikes in alphabetical order.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

So Magalloway, you were born worse off than a low caste child in an impoverished Indian village, who was never able to attend school, and began working 14 hours a day at age 6? Or were you born worse off than a Somali girl who was subjected to "female circumcision" then forced into prostitution at age 12?

No, you were born quite privileged, just not as privileged as some others.

So Magalloway, you were born worse off than a low caste child in an impoverished Indian village, who was never able to attend school, and began working 14 hours a day at age 6? Or were you born worse off than a Somali girl who was subjected to "female circumcision" then forced into prostitution at age 12?

No, you were born quite privileged, just not as privileged as some others.
    And what good is this knowledge?

He still shoveled shit, went through hell.... Who cares if someone else had it worse than him? Is he supposed to feel guilty? I don't hear him bitching about someone who had it easier than he did. That, to me, is worse than this privilege crusade.
    Last edited by Buffco; 06-09-2017 at 01:57 PM.