Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Prosecution of Person Who Leaked Classified Information

New guy's been reading your junk for a while. You are each sitting in ideological grooves so well-worn you couldn't get out of them if you tried. And why would you try? You've been handed a really good deal in life. Who would mess with that by thinking too hard?

So, think about the fact that the NSA wrote a memo. All that memo says is that some half-assed efforts at hacking occurred in the weeks before the election. Those efforts were nothing new, they were phishing schemes (any one of you could pull that off with a few days of research). The only thing different is that the "phishermen" in this case are tied to GRU and SVR, and the targets were companies that provide election management services for states, although this NSA memo doesn't specify how we know this (it does NOT reveal sources or methods, I've read it, have you?). Literally, that's all this memo says, and doesn't even go very far into details, it's only 5 pages because it's written in bureaucratese rather than English. So this memo exists. It's actually pretty harmless. Except to the President, the NSA and the intelligence community generally. It is harmful to them because it reveals that (1) the President might have gotten illegal help; (2) it shows that our own intelligence agencies are refusing to come clean with US, the American people, the folks who hire them. There is no good reason for this memo to be classified, it's information of genuine public interest, and it reveals nothing about sources and methods. So someone leaks it. The government is embarrassed because now we know, that they know something of great public interest (messing with our elections matters) and they didn't stop it, they didn't prevent it, they only found out about it after the fact, and worst of all, they don't even want to tell us that it happened because they don't trust the American people. So they find a convenient, low-level, intelligence worker who somehow broke every rule of intelligence trade craft and made it super easy for the FBI to identify her as the leaker, arrest her, charge her, and in the process get all of us to stop talking about how the NSA is hiding info from the American people. Instead they get all of us, well, at least all of you, talking about the leak rather than the gross failure of good faith and honest dealing that is implicit in the fact that our own government won't even tell us that our foreign policy rivals have tried to fuck with our elections.

Stop worrying about the leak, it's irrelevant. Worry about the fact that your government is trying desperately to hide the truth from you. What else do they know about the 2016 election that they haven't told you? Why won't they tell you? What interest do they have in keeping us ignorant? Can't expect this crowd to ask those questions, I guess.
    Last edited by Eugene; 06-08-2017 at 05:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
    New guy's been reading your junk for a while.
    Tough to miss when they were resting on your forehead.

I couldn't really care less about Reality Winner. I'm more interested in a new guy showing up and going postal about how we're all just entitled pricks.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post

I couldn't really care less about Reality Winner. I'm more interested in a new guy showing up and going postal about how we're all just entitled pricks.
    For myself, I never thought it was all of you, just some.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post

Steven never realizes that his posts tell far more about him than about his targets. Here's how to read one of Steven's posts, it only took me a couple dozen of his posts to figure this out.

1. When his intellect is challenged he lashes out. He can't stand the idea that others might not think he's the smartest guy in the room. It's a subconscious reaction he really cannot control. He has done an excellent job of cultivating a consciousness that does not let you know that he thinks he is the smartest guy around, but when challenged, his id comes roaring out.
    2. When he lashes out, he often goes for homophobic insults. Do I need to elaborate about homophobic Republicans?
    3. He tends to follow that up by letting his id say what he's thinking without filtering it. I never called anybody "entitled pricks." That is actually what his id thinks all of you (including him, the poor self-loather) deserve to be called.

In one of the Marvel movies there is a funny scene where Black Widow is being interrogated by bad guys. They keep asking her questions and threatening to hurt her, then a phone rings and it's a call for her. She explains to the caller that SHE is actually collecting intelligence from THEM, and the caller is interrupting her interrogation. That perfectly explains Steven in the Lodge, he's the one who thinks he is in control and asking the questions, but every post tells us so much that he would rather keep hidden.

Quote Originally Posted by creekguy View Post
    For myself, I never thought it was all of you, just some.
    LOL!

[extra characters for the software]

LOL, Eugene.

How much of a difference in modern usage between "entitled" and "privileged?" You really going to hang your hat on this?

As for the rest, I know I'm not even a 25%er of the ten of us who are left. Homophobic? not hardly. That just makes me laugh.

People like you come and go. It's fascinating from a historical perspective.

It's on!
    Um, Steven, I don't think homophobia is what was being referenced.

When Comic isn't liberal enough we are in strange territory.
    Maybe this is the Pio bait we've been waiting for all these years?

Quote Originally Posted by Green Mt Boy View Post
    Probably true that the government grossly over classifies, but it is not up to Ms. Winner to second guess what should and shouldn't be classified.
    ^this^ If she thought it was important enough to leak, then she should have alerted somebody of authority who could investigate or use his/her position to get this through the proper channels.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn C. View Post
    It's on!
    Um, Steven, I don't think homophobia is what was being referenced.
    I get it Shawn. I'm not that stupid.
    [/not my id talking]