Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A sad day today.

Thanks but it really wasn't about my loss. It was about what I've learned, and the hope that someone else might not repeat my mistakes when dealing with an addict. I put myself, my house, my things, my time, above them. I was wrong. If I could go back I would do things so much different.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenladle View Post
    Mike, I feel for you and your family. I understand all to well the other end of this issue. I am a recovering addict and have been sober for nearly 35 years. While I wasn't a Heroin user, my choice(s) were alcohol and psychedelic drugs. At the time I was completely unaware of the damage I was doing to my family and friends, it took a lot of work to ask for forgiveness. Again, sorry for your loss.

I see that the current administration is talking about resurrecting the war on drugs, I disagree with this tactic. It is my belief that the medical field should be held accountable for what they prescribe to their patients that are in pain. In 2008 I had major back issues and was in excruciating pain, I told my physician that I am dependent and that I am reluctant to take any opioids because I was afraid of my tendency for abuse. I was handed a three month supply of Oxycodone. It is my belief that this is how the calamity begins. Once you become dependent, the doctor will no longer prescribe them and then its off to heroin. Attack the source, not the supply.

https://www.ted.com/talks/johann_har...pt?language=en

Wow that was a powerful speech.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Interesting, I don't agree with much of it, but it is interesting. Nowhere in that talk did he say anything about going through withdrawal and the fear every addict has of going though it. It's truly hell. He doesn't believe in physical addiction, he should watch somebody go through withdrawal.

One thing about John's writing---it hit home about his real life