Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice For Travellers - Chain Restaurants That Actually Are Good

You know what?

You go into a chain you pretty much know what you're getting. Some people are always looking for a hole-in-the wall which has the "best breakfast burrito in New Orleans" or whatever, but its a dump, the waitstaff is rude, the bathroom is dirty, and everybody raves about how awesome it is, and how IHOP is "too corporate" and all I want is decent food and a bathroom that doesn't look like people use it to shoot up heroin.

Quote Originally Posted by sherb View Post
    You know what?

You go into a chain you pretty much know what you're getting. Some people are always looking for a hole-in-the wall which has the "best breakfast burrito in New Orleans" or whatever, but its a dump, the waitstaff is rude, the bathroom is dirty, and everybody raves about how awesome it is, and how IHOP is "too corporate" and all I want is decent food and a bathroom that doesn't look like people use it to shoot up heroin.
    Maybe where you are---here--Ma N Pa are usually far and away the best

Perhaps I am an effete east coast elitist, but I really do not want my food to be 35% chemical sludge at national chains. Up and down the east coast small cafes and bistros are better than chains with precious few exceptions. Out west it is indeed different except, for the most part, in big cities and college towns like Fort Collins. I never could understand why it is so difficult to get a good steak (or restaurant meal of any kind) in cattle country like Laramie, Wyoming where until recently, we had had many relatives living there. Could be that's one of the reasons they decamped for Albuquerque, Steamboat and DC .
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushart View Post
    Maybe where you are---here--Ma N Pa are usually far and away the best
    ^^^This.

Not sure what kind of places Sherb frequents.

If I have to hit a chain while on the Road...Culvers.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

You know what?

We found that exact thing when I researched best breakfast place in down town Boston. We flew in at 5:20 am and I found this place that the locals rave about. Worst greasy spoon I've ever walked into. Filthy hole in the wall, but it was rated high. Found out it's because that's where all the drunk college kids go after the bars close. Foods always great when you're plowed.

Setebello's pizza, we ate there in Henderson NV just a few weeks ago. The marg pizza was to die for, but I think it's only west of the Rockies.

Quote Originally Posted by George K View Post
    Perhaps I am an effete east coast elitist, but I really do not want my food to be 35% chemical sludge at national chains. Up and down the east coast small cafes and bistros are better than chains with precious few exceptions. Out west it is indeed different except, for the most part, in big cities and college towns like Fort Collins. I never could understand why it is so difficult to get a good steak (or restaurant meal of any kind) in cattle country like Laramie, Wyoming where until recently, we had had many relatives living there. Could be that's one of the reasons they decamped for Albuquerque, Steamboat and DC .
    You're lucky to have the Ma and Pa's, they've been pretty much run out of business here except for the ethnic restaurants. The good steaks usually are served up by higher end chains..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...

Ma and Pa's are plenty where I live. Plus there are farm to tables springing up in the area. This one is my favorite nearby one.

http://stoneyacresfarm.net/about/

In defense of Sherb, if Boise, NV is anything like the SLC metro area there are precious few Ma 'n Pa's around. Whenever the wife and I find a good non-chain restaurant, we joke that it is doomed. And most likely, it is. It is a really weird thing in the Intermountain west. One of the highlights to going back east for vacation is the food.

It really is strange. We've been in a few small small towns in Colorado that had good small restaurants where you could get a decent lunch that wasn't a hamburger, and West Yellowstone has two or three similar places including a taco wagon and a tapas bar, but for the most part it's hamburgers and third rate steaks.

p.s. Not to mention the truly crappy food in all the National Park lodges, with the singular exception of Jenny Lake Lodge where the restaurant is superb but very expensive.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Some people are always looking for a hole-in-the wall which has the "best breakfast burrito in New Orleans" or whatever, but its a dump, the waitstaff is rude, the bathroom is dirty, and everybody raves about how awesome it is, and how IHOP is "too corporate" and all I want is decent food and a bathroom that doesn't look like people use it to shoot up heroin.
    I do that for tacos and sushi, but they aren't really hole-in-the-wall. Just small restaurants.

I'm fine with chains. I know what I am going to get. May not be great food, but that's often ok. Of the chains listed so far, Outback good.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.