Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Advice For Travellers - Chain Restaurants That Actually Are Good

Quote Originally Posted by George K View Post
    Perhaps I am an effete east coast elitist...
    I would not be ashamed. If my budget allowed it, I'd eat at better places.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.

Quote Originally Posted by FishTX View Post
    But chains usually are not less expensive than ma & pa places, at least not on the east coast. A comparable neighborhood Italian restaurant usually costs the same or less than Olive Garden or Carrabas and usually is better. Almost any independent pizzeria is better than any of the standard pizza chains, although I have eaten at a couple of chains that offer pretty good brick oven or wood-fired pizza - but they are expensive. Almost any local cafe, diner or coffee shop will get you a better breakfast, sandwich or burger for only a little more than non-drive through chains, and we usually can find a local restaurant for no more than it would cost to get mediocre standardized dinner at Applebees, Ruby Tuesdays, Outback Steakhouse etc.

What really surprises me in Georgia and the Carolinas is how even many locals will go to the mediocre-to-crappy chain BBQ places instead of searching out the hundreds of good independent ones, or eat farm-raised Asian shrimp (talk about your strange brew of chemicals inside of you) at Bubba Gump's instead of local shrimp at local seafood places.
    Last edited by George K; 04-15-2017 at 04:47 AM.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Quote Originally Posted by George K View Post
    But chains usually are not less expensive than ma & pa places, at least not on the east coast. A comparable neighborhood Italian restaurant usually costs the same or less than Olive Garden or Carrabas and usually is better. Almost any independent pizzeria is better than any of the standard pizza chains, although I have eaten at a couple of chains that offer pretty good brick oven or wood-fired pizza - but they are expensive. Almost any local cafe, diner or coffee shop will get you a better breakfast, sandwich or burger for only a little more than non-drive through chains, and we usually can find a local restaurant for no more than it would cost to get mediocre standardized dinner at Applebees, Ruby Tuesdays, Outback Steakhouse etc.

What really surprises me in Georgia and the Carolinas is how even many locals will go to the mediocre-to-crappy chain BBQ places instead of searching out the hundreds of good independent ones, or eat farm-raised Asian shrimp (talk about your strange brew of chemicals inside of you) at Bubba Gump's instead of local shrimp at local seafood places.
    This/\ /\ I swore off corporate pizza after my one and only trip to dominos

Quote Originally Posted by FishTX View Post
    Places that sell the $4 heart attack value meal can turn out to be expensive in the future due to the health problems associated with eating at those places just to save a buck.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by NZ Indicator; 04-15-2017 at 12:55 PM.

Here's real #'s

There's a small operation in a town about half hour away----You can get a Bacon cheeseburger---made with real hamburger--real lettuce/tomato/onion----more real cut fries than you can eat---best I've had in a long time---told my wife--I don't think I could BBQ as well

$9.25-----That's close here to what I paid for that double big mac meal--I hated

I can't recommend any corporate excuses for food, but Applebees is not food..maybe for undeveloped tastebuds or out of the box gourmets...just kidding.....mostly.

Someone mentioned Culvers...still has great shakes and used to be pretty good, now the fries are gritty frozen crap, they used to be fresh. Their burgers made a bad move some years back, lost the flavor nearly entirely I think that happened when they removed the "pink slime"...and it's expensive, actually nearly all junk food places are expensive. I tend to hit local cafes when I can. Most have been better than fast food.

I did stop at some kind of fish place in Wyoming, not Long John silvers...or any of the others known in the midwest or east. Never saw this one before, I had the best fish sandwich (Halibut baby not Haddock) I may have ever had, it wasn't like those flat things you'd get anywhere else. I'd go there again. But not too often, fish we get today whether wild or farmed are toxic. Salmon is the worst, it's poison (if you eat too much) in either case. If you do some research you will be shocked. I am regularly only eating Sardines, Anchovy and Smelt, anything that doesn't live long enough to built up their toxicity. I do admit to eating at the local Hardees in Waupaca when out on errands. They used to to serve a big roast beef that was three times the size of competitors or other hardees offerings. I think they got new management, now it's like the others....to be avoided.

Why in the world would anyone buy steak out at a restaurant? You can do it better at home any day. On western beef, nearly always tough, except at a "fine dinning" place in Manhattan Montana..I forgot the name...something trees or something. I have heard western beef has gotten better. I guess they no longer sell beef from cows chained to a weight in roadside ditches. I've seen that all over the west.
    Last edited by Wetdog; 04-15-2017 at 11:06 PM.
    I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
    I find the willingness to give it up frightening.

Cracker Barrel's meatloaf is pretty darn good and I love their chicken fried steak.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan