Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this you?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    My wife likes to buy organic. I fight about it. She usually wins. The way I see it is, it's just us two now. It's not that much more money and though it's mostly BS, it might possibly be safer or better. I prefer organic fish, deer, and turkey and I keep us stocked up on that.
    I think this is the right mindset to cultivate: it probably won't hurt and it might help, so why not? Just don't buy into the hype. I have small kids so I'm not buying bananas that go bad 36 hours later.

I remember we had some friends over to the house, and one of the friends was piously lecturing my wife about organic this and organic that, and finally, the wife says, "you know, I grew up on a farm. . ."

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    The house we are trying to buy still has a smoke house with a big salt box. It's a lost art. I would have no idea how to raise and process a hog. My grandfather did it and I remember some of it but not much. If we end up at this place I plan to make a go at it.
    I would highly encourage it. We still do it once a year down here. Cane syrup boiling in November, hog killing in February. I'm so grateful that we still have these windows into the past. My extended family is a few hundred strong, and it's a fun day with all hands pitching in. I wouldn't trade my kids experiencing this for anything.

You know what gets me fightin mad! Products that claim they have Sea Salt in them, like its an improvement over regular Mortons. Where does Mortons come from: ancient sea beds, which means that this sea salt doesn't have residue from nuclear fallout, and manmade pollutants like DDT or Lead that have flowed to the sea in the modern era. What idiocy. Its enough to make me post on the web about it.

I have always found that for political conservatives these health issues are big "wedge" issues. Get them started on fluoridation of drinking water.

Quote Originally Posted by sherb View Post
    As Buffco has amply demonstrated, this entire movement is fact-free and the science behind it nonexistent. It makes intuitive sense to eat natural organic food, but the evidence just doesn't support any of the claims made about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffco View Post
    It's just as fact free as the anti-vaxxer movement.
    You guys just aren't interested in alternative facts....

(Sorry for the delay. I've been away from the computer.)

Quote Originally Posted by creekguy View Post

I have always found that for political conservatives these health issues are big "wedge" issues. Get them started on fluoridation of drinking water.
    General Jack D. Ripper: Mandrake, do you realize that in addition to fluoridating water, why, there are studies underway to fluoridate salt, flour, fruit juices, soup, sugar, milk... ice cream. Ice cream, Mandrake, children's ice cream.

Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: [very nervous] Lord, Jack.

General Jack D. Ripper: You know when fluoridation first began?

Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: I... no, no. I don't, Jack.

General Jack D. Ripper: Nineteen hundred and forty-six. 1946, Mandrake. How does that coincide with your post-war Commie conspiracy, huh? It's incredibly obvious, isn't it? A foreign substance is introduced into our precious bodily fluids without the knowledge of the individual. Certainly without any choice. That's the way your hard-core Commie works.

Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: Uh, Jack, Jack, listen... tell me, tell me, Jack. When did you first... become... well, develop this theory?

General Jack D. Ripper: [somewhat embarassed] Well, I, uh... I... I... first became aware of it, Mandrake, during the physical act of love.

Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: Hmm.

General Jack D. Ripper: Yes, a uh, a profound sense of fatigue... a feeling of emptiness followed. Luckily I... I was able to interpret these feelings correctly. Loss of essence.

Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: Hmm.

General Jack D. Ripper: I can assure you it has not recurred, Mandrake. Women uh... women sense my power and they seek the life essence. I, uh... I do not avoid women, Mandrake.

Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: No.

General Jack D. Ripper: But I... I do deny them my essence.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffco View Post
    No I'm not, Joe. You haven't been paying attention. I make my money off of people like you.

These guys that I'm talking about? They are my competition. I WANT you to continue to believe the way you do. I can't compete with these guys.
    Shame on you for duping the public.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I like dealing with small producers cause I know where they live and if they rip me off, I'll kill them, then their families, and burn their house down..
    < Thanks Clint>..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...

Quote Originally Posted by sherb View Post
    I think this is the right mindset to cultivate: it probably won't hurt and it might help, so why not? Just don't buy into the hype. I have small kids so I'm not buying bananas that go bad 36 hours later.

I remember we had some friends over to the house, and one of the friends was piously lecturing my wife about organic this and organic that, and finally, the wife says, "you know, I grew up on a farm. . ."
    My favorite is the Anti Gluten speech.

Quote Originally Posted by NZ Indicator View Post
    Shame on you for duping the public.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I'm not duping them. I freely admit to them that I don't think production meat and GMOs are harmful. But I respect their choice to play it safe. And I'm certainly selling them a quality product. I tell them exactly what they are fed, how they are housed, etc. They are even welcome to visit my farm if they desire.

But they have to wear plastic over their shoes. Bio security and all.

Now I will say this: the kinds of hog Buffco raises do provide a product that is, in my humble opinion, superior to store-bought meat in terms of flavor. But that's not due to the presence/absence of additives. The breeds he uses are better and, fattier. Fat is flavor. It also goes into how he raises them, and what that makes for in the end product.

But I don't think that the type of pork he produces is any more or less safe than supermarket stuff.