Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: So If Obama was Weak on This?--Now Batting..

That's good to know. Nobody wants a run on tin foil.

It's being reported that the Pentagon has come to the conclusion that the Russians were definitely aware of the gas attack in advance.

I do want to know, why in the world would Assad have done this? 1. Did it advance his war against rebels, (the children are to young to fight, and if the adults could be intimidated they would have stopped already) 2. he could not hide the use of these weapons, and he would know he would be blamed for it. 3. he could have anticipated the facilities would be destroyed, again, whats the benefit to that?

I guess all that can be said is that if Assad was rational, he wouldn't be in the situation he's in. He would be sunning himself on his Black Sea yacht by now.

Maybe it wasn't the Russkis making their surrogate Trump look good, but its such a great altnews story.
    Last edited by creekguy; 04-10-2017 at 07:58 PM.

Two theories have surfaced:

1) Assad is petrified that the rapprochement between Putin and Trump could have led to some kind of forced deal. Assad used chemicals to show he wasn't Russia's puppet.

2) Assad realizes that Syria is done as we know it and he will only be able to hold on to a relatively small western enclave. He wants to use chemical attacks to depopulate areas along the borders of the area he thinks he can hold.

well. . .that's at least rational, from his perspective if no one else's.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Mt Boy View Post
    Under the circumstances I think the missile strike was appropriate.
    I don't know about that. Depends on what it accomplished and if it works to advantage of peace later on. I don't know that Trump considered what is the next step and what are the possible outcomes including more problems for everybody. I'd hope some of the people around him brought this up, but if they did bring it up, did Trump pay attention?
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.

See the thing is, it looks more irrational in hindsight then it does at the time, because literally everything Trump said about Syria prior to the gassing was about us staying out of it. So in that sense, I can see how Assad thought he would get away with it. He got away with it with Obama. What complicates this theory of course is that Trump is famously erratic and not prone to staying the course. Its possible Assad just believed him.

My writing has really gone to shit. The perils of a supervisory job.

And now this report:
    AP WASHINGTON — The United States has concluded Russia knew in advance of Syria's chemical weapons attack last week, a senior U.S. official said Monday.
    The official said a drone operated by Russians was flying over a hospital as victims of the attack were rushing to get treatment. Hours after the drone left, a Russian-made fighter jet bombed the hospital in what American officials believe was an attempt to cover up the usage of chemical weapons.
    The official said the presence of the surveillance drone over the hospital couldn't have been a coincidence, and that Russia must have known the chemical weapons attack was coming and that victims were seeking treatment. The official, who wasn't authorized to speak publicly on intelligence matters and demanded anonymity, didn't give precise timing for when the drone was above the northern Syrian town of Khan Sheikhtoun, where more than 80 people were killed. He also didn't provide all the details for the military and intelligence information that form the basis of what he said the Pentagon has now concluded.
    The allegation is grave, even by the standards of the currently dismal U.S.-Russian relations.

They bombed the Hospital??? I guess that would be the Syrian AF. But could it be a Russian AF jet?

So Nikki Haley says the Trump Admin is not interested in regime change, and the very next day Assad does the one thing that would make us interested?

That's really crazy.