Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: So If Obama was Weak on This?--Now Batting..

Quote Originally Posted by ricinus View Post
    Let's just forget all Trump's tweets telling Obama not to bomb Syria. Let's see what $80 million gets for bomb damage..

Political opportunism..

Mike
    He's been swallowed by the swamp.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I watched Trump's speech from Mar a Largo and wondered WTF is this..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...

One other thought: its entirely possible that the Russians are pissed at Assad rather than us right now. Because it looks like Assad gassed his own people over Russia's objections, and now Russia looks like they can't control their client. Just a thought.

Another thought - Trump acted on emotion and instinct, "unencumbered by the thought process" as the Magliozzi's used to say. This is not good in a Commander in Chief.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Quote Originally Posted by George K View Post
    Another thought - Trump acted on emotion and instinct, "unencumbered by the thought process" as the Magliozzi's used to say. This is not good in a Commander in Chief.
    Actually-and this is worse than kissing my sister-I think I have to give Trump some credit. the word is DOD wanted to take out Assad's air force in its entirety. Trump chose a narrower path.

The Russians have suspended the sortie notification agreement, which could lead to one side downing the other's plane(s), by design or mistakenly. Be careful what you wish for.

I think the time to have done this was when Obama choked. Back then a few cruise missiles also could have removed Assad and his top staff from the gene pool. It's a lot more complicated and dangerous now.

We'll see...

Quote Originally Posted by George K View Post

I think the time to have done this was when Obama choked. Back then a few cruise missiles also could have removed Assad and his top staff from the gene pool. It's a lot more complicated and dangerous now.
    Agreed.

I think the trick (and I don't know HOW you do this) is removing Assad and the top staff without destabilizing the regime or engaging in de-baathification, which was a total disaster in Iraq. IIRC, Assad belongs to the Baath party. Which is bad. . .but the vacuum left after he goes is probably worse.

Quote Originally Posted by sherb View Post

I think the trick (and I don't know HOW you do this) is removing Assad and the top staff without destabilizing the regime or engaging in de-baathification, which was a total disaster in Iraq. IIRC, Assad belongs to the Baath party. Which is bad. . .but the vacuum left after he goes is probably worse.
    This, indeed.

Yes--no better if ISIS takes control---or the likes

There are so many takes on this, but as the pundits were saying last night: in the long run, the situation in Syria does not fundamentally change. "They" knew this might happen, and were obviously OK with the price. And what about a USA-Trump move toward isolationist policy? Is that over now? This is no different that the GWB interventionist change-the-world approach. Red Line, blah, blah, blah.

Oh, and BTW:

Donald J. Trump
    @realDonaldTrump
    Now that Obama’s poll numbers are in tailspin – watch for him to launch a strike in Libya or Iran. He is desperate.
    3:39 PM - 9 Oct 2012
    Last edited by creekguy; 04-07-2017 at 06:55 PM.