Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So If Obama was Weak on This?--Now Batting..

So If Obama was Weak on This?--Now Batting..

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/russia-...yria-1.4056002

Excerpt....

"Obama threatened an air campaign to topple Assad but called it off at the last minute after the Syrian leader agreed to give up his chemical arsenal under a deal brokered by Moscow, a decision which Trump has long said proved Obama's weakness.

The new incident means Trump is faced with same dilemma that faced his predecessor: whether to openly challenge Moscow and risk deep involvement in a Middle East war by seeking to punish Assad for using banned weapons, or compromise and accept the Syrian leader remaining in power at the risk of looking weak."

CNBC reporting that Bannon has been removed from the National Security Council. The Director of National Intelligence and the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs are now back.

I'd say this one is on Obama. I don't blame Kerry for seizing the opportunity to get rid of Assad's chemical weapons, but it didn't work and has emboldened Putin and his proxy. What to do about it is a separate question.
    Last edited by sherb; 04-05-2017 at 07:16 PM.

The red line was drawn and nothing was done when it was crossed, making Obama look weak. Nothing he did later overcame that first impression.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    CNBC reporting that Bannon has been removed from the National Security Council. The Director of National Intelligence and the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs are now back.
    More here: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...04-05-12-18-48

The NYT says this was engineered by McMaster.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Couple questions may be

Why will forces be deployed in Ukraine and Poland--to deter Putin---but Syria is hands off?--short of bombing ISIS

And why does Putin stand beside Assad so fiercely?

The Russians will stand against any and all forced regime change as they see it as a threat both to international stability and to their own government (as ridiculously paranoid as that may be).

Post Iraq and the Arab Spring, we don't have the stomach for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushart View Post
    Couple questions may be

Why will forces be deployed in Ukraine and Poland--to deter Putin---but Syria is hands off?--short of bombing ISIS

And why does Putin stand beside Assad so fiercely?
    Russia has a long standing Cold War client in Syria and is reluctant to give up control there, with tragic consequences. Maybe the blame goes back to Obama, but its up to Trump to either respond militarily or let it pass, and he will look bad either way. I wonder if this is payback to Trump for not rolling back support for Ukraine or some other "agreed on" action (sarcasm alert). I do think Moscow had a role in this, so its worth looking for the real reason for this event in this world of altfacts.

Unfortunately a lot of innocent civilians are living that nightmare

Trump has an opportunity to right Obama's mistake. I've no clue on what type of airstrike would be punitive and proportional but I think it should be done as a deterrence to further deter chemical weapons use.
    It really is a tough situation for us.

PS Great to see Highball Hitler off of the NSC!
    Last edited by Shawn C.; 04-05-2017 at 11:26 PM.