Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Threat Level

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    I agree with that sediment Sherb. I don’t think the author is being honest about America however. When they flew planes full of people into buildings full of people and into the pentagon we didn’t start a roundup. We didn’t’ cower in fear. The question I have is how many times do we turn the other cheek? What is an acceptable amount of terror for everyone? Do we wait till they figure out how to detonate a dirty bomb in a major city?
    Hey Mike, tell EdB that we "turn the other cheek"! Yeah, while we drop bombs on villages of suspected "people who don't like us", killing women and children in the process. You call that "turning the other cheek?

Quote Originally Posted by Buffco View Post
    and keep your Roscoe stoked with some semi jacketed hollow points.
    Roscoe? Are you watching TCM again?

Mike
    Last edited by ricinus; 03-27-2017 at 11:54 PM.
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...

Quote Originally Posted by ricinus View Post
    Roscoe? Are you watching TCM again?

Mike
    I have many pet names. Roscoe, Hog Leg, Heater, Shirley.

I'd like to hear that warning:

"Back off or I'll let you have it with my Shirley's."

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...

Quote Originally Posted by sherb View Post
    “We are not afraid,” declared Prime Minister Theresa May after the latest Islamist horror on Westminster Bridge. She went on about the importance of being “normal.” It’s a very British response to terrorism. It’s called stoicism — a quality unknown, it appears, in the home of the “brave.” Perhaps its highest moment of sangfroid was when the IRA bombed the very hotel in Brighton where the prime minister and much of her cabinet were staying while attending their annual party conference in 1981. Thatcher herself would have been killed if she had been in a different room in her hotel suite. A leading cabinet member had to be hauled out of rubble. Nonetheless, the next day, Thatcher, utterly undaunted, got up and gave her speech — almost as if nothing had happened. A few days later, she insisted: “We suffered a tragedy not one of us could have thought would happen in our country. And we picked ourselves up and sorted ourselves out as all good British people do.” Keep calm and carry on, and all that.

Compare this with, say, the reaction to the Boston marathon bombing. An entire city was brought to a standstill and locked down, while the pursuit of a deranged, unarmed teenager continued. You can understand that, I suppose, given that the suspect was still at large. But to subsequently celebrate the event with the slogan “Boston Strong” was perverse. The truth was: “Boston Shit-Scared.”

The response of Americans to terror is to be terrified — 9/11’s trauma has never been fully exorcised. Until we get over that, until we manage to stiffen our upper lips like the Brits, jihadist terrorists will exercise control over the American psyche like no one else. We can do better, can’t we? If we want the Constitution to survive both Islamism’s threat and the potential response of a beleaguered Trump, we’ll have to.

Indeed.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...ald-trump.html
    Sadly this is all too true. My wife and I just returned from two weeks visiting friends and relatives in FL and GA. Our first stop was Wellington, about 20 minutes from the West Palm airport, and about 45 minutes from the Ft Lauderdale airport. Because of the recent shootings there we flew from Baltimore to Ft. Lauderdale for $68 each, less than half what it would have cost to fly to West palm or Jacksonville. We also saved about $200 renting a car for two weeks.

My kids, who fondly remember watching tracers flying over our house during a failed coup attempt in Seoul in the late '70s laugh at the timidity of their friends and fellow citizens who are afraid to drink the water or drive in England and Western Europe, much less go there after any incident.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffco View Post
    I don't sympathize with terrorists, no. Despite your attempt to strawman, my point was Islamic radicals are killing in the name of Islam. So we ban Muslims. Problem solved.
    And right wing terrorists are killing in the name of conservatism, so we ban conservatives, problem solved.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    I agree with that sediment Sherb. I don’t think the author is being honest about America however. When they flew planes full of people into buildings full of people and into the pentagon we didn’t start a roundup. We didn’t’ cower in fear. The question I have is how many times do we turn the other cheek? What is an acceptable amount of terror for everyone? Do we wait till they figure out how to detonate a dirty bomb in a major city?
    Great Britain has suffered more terrorist attacks in the past few years than we have.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by fishingcomic View Post
    And right wing terrorists are killing in the name of conservatism, so we ban conservatives, problem solved.
    I don't recall that being the rallying cry.

Islamic terrorists, however... We all know exactly what they say. Every. Single. Time.

Tell me what is the difference between killing for conservatism and killing for a religion? I don't care if you recall a rallying cry. Is it because you are a conservative and not a Muslim? At this very moment there are thousands of Muslims that are on the front line fighting ISIS.

Quote Originally Posted by fishingcomic View Post
    Tell me what is the difference between killing for conservatism and killing for a religion?
    Conservative terrorist killing for conservatism:

In the name of Milton Friedman, I slice off your head!

[/slices off liberal's head]

There is no free lunch!