Thread: Is the Species Really

Is the Species Really

Parasitic? I've been wracking my mind the last couple days trying to decide if humans really contribute anything on their own to the planet. And conclude that we don't. We deplete the Earth's resources for our own species' benefit and put back nothing, we merely prey on other species as the apex predator and return nothing on our own, even in death we depend on other species, be they microbes, moles, worms, whatever, to return our essential elements to the soil, we can't even decay on our own. So what do we bring to the counter that helps other species throughout the environment? Art? Culture? Music? Mathematics and science? Does do the bison a damn bit of good. So rather than being the apex predator, I conclude we are the apex parasitic species. Rebuttal? Just curious what this august body thinks.

Do any apex predators "contribute" anything on their own to the planet? Do prey species or even plants do any such thing? Pretty much any species modifies the environment to suit its own needs. Army ants denude swaths of forest, oak trees and pine trees modify the soil to be more suited to their own species at the expense of other competing species, most any predator will overproduce their young and overconsume their prey without some sort of control leading to boom and bust cycles. Humans differ in the scale they can act and the knowledge of what they're doing, but that's a relatively new thing in the geological scale. Reproductive and growth strategies of pretty much any species are at the expense of all others.
    Last edited by breamfisher; 06-26-2015 at 11:35 PM.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by flytrap View Post
    Parasitic? I've been wracking my mind the last couple days trying to decide if humans really contribute anything on their own to the planet. And conclude that we don't. We deplete the Earth's resources for our own species' benefit and put back nothing, we merely prey on other species as the apex predator and return nothing on our own, even in death we depend on other species, be they microbes, moles, worms, whatever, to return our essential elements to the soil, we can't even decay on our own. So what do we bring to the counter that helps other species throughout the environment? Art? Culture? Music? Mathematics and science? Does do the bison a damn bit of good. So rather than being the apex predator, I conclude we are the apex parasitic species. Rebuttal? Just curious what this august body thinks.
    So are you volunteering to be removed of your parasitic ways?
    “Labor unions are super-PACs. Labor unions are super-PACs Democrats like so we don’t go after labor unions .”
    -Howard Screamin Dean

After you show me how!

Quote Originally Posted by flytrap View Post
    I've been wracking my mind the last couple days
    Sorry about the mind. We do change the world. There are lice adapted to only living on humans. What will they do if we go away?

Probably adapt, better than we do.

Plus if people go, the chihuahua is a gonner.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan