I would be interested in how others transport their valuable rods, reels and flies during air travel .

Having just returned from New Mexico for a Photographic tradeshow this week I rewarded myself with a single personal day in the mountains chasing Rio Grande Cutthroat Trout.

I travel at least once a month and usually have no issues with the carry on baggage and fishing gear but yesterday was a big issue . A backpack full of my computer gear , a Tenba Rolling case full of Photographic gear including a Canon 400MM f2.8 telephoto lens and a nylon covered PVC rod/reel carry case. I have carried these 3 bags as carry on for the last 5 years without any issues.
I guess yesterday was my day to be chosen as an example, I was told that the federal law states only 2 carry items per person, I told the attendant that sporting gear/fishing gear is not included as a carry on and was listed as exceptions on the Delta Airlines website , it started to escalate and I did not want to push any more buttons as I was getting extremely frustrated as the other passengers were starting to board , The rod and reel case with my beloved 7 foot 3 wt bamboo rod was unable to be locked so I had to check my rolling photo case worth almost 25K secured by a simple zip tie at the zippered closure.
I was sick just thinking which would be the best to check as I have never had the reason to check either.. My travels from Albuquerque to connect in Atlanta to land in Providence RI . All I could think about was the number of opportunities that things could have gone wrong, even forgetting my iPad while I left the plane in Providence , luckily they found it before I even realize it was left behind, my mind was on the rolling case full of my photography gear ..

Funny how the outgoing flight were a non issue and was even complemented on trying to protect my valued fly rod,

Anyone else have similar issues or comments ? I just needed to vent..