SA Mastery TEXTURED GPX TAPERED Line V.S. SA Mastery GPX

I've been an SA Mastery GPX user for a long time and I am about to respool 3 rods this winter. I've been looking at the SA Mastery Textured GPX Tapered Line and have had some trouble getting a lot of comments on it. Can anyone identify the differences between this line and the Mastery GPX? What are your pros and cons if you have used it?

Comments

• ouzelproouzelpro Senior Member Posts: 5,361 Senior Member
    I've been using a SA textured 6 weight Nymph Indicator for fast water nymphing and streamer chucking. The jury is still out about the crossover effectiveness for this use, but, I like the texture feature quite a bit. Its more comfortable on the fingers, less disturbance in slack water while stripping than the Sharkskin, which I've fished numerous times. Floatation and mending are very, very good.

Hope that helps.
  • Thanks, I appreciate that info.
  • idlerickidlerick Junior Member Posts: 3 Junior Member
    Hey, Jamie. Greetings from the warm & sunny south. I hadn't visited here in ages, but hit an old bookmark by mistake and saw your post.

I've been switching all my reels over to the Airflo Ridge Supple Impact lines for several years now. They have very fine grooves (ridges) running length-wise, which is supposed to help with distance, but you can't see or feel them at all in the 5-8 weight lines (you can in the 3's & 4's).
    But distance aside, the lines are as supple and easy to cast & handle as any I've ever used. No residual S-coiling on the water (that's a misery on lakes), float well, and cast superbly with an indicator rig. I use them in 45 degree water in Colo and in 75 degree water here in Fla, and they perform well in both.
    Airflo seems to change color schemes every year - I really liked their Lichen Green, but now they're all Coral or Coral and White. Maybe 2013 will bring the grays & greens back. I've found a few on EBay out of England in old new stock, or you can probably find a shop that carries them there in CS.
  • Hey Rick. Great to hear from you and thanks for your perspective regarding the lines. I am still thinking about what to do so your post is helpful. I know that you used to love the Rio products in the past unless I am mistaken. I have had trouble getting reviews on this type of line and was of course wanting to be sure before spending 80 bucks a spool.

Hope the winter in the sunny south goes well but I know you will be dreaming of your favorite lakes and be ready to return.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file