A few simple softhackles

ScottPScottP Senior MemberPosts: 480 Senior Member
Nothing fancy here, and a few of the hackles are a bit oversized, it's been over a month since I've tied anything and it takes a while to get everything (including sense of proportion) in synch:

pheasant tail

IMG_8415.jpg

partridge & peacock

IMG_8428.jpg

b/h pheasant tail

IMG_8412.jpg

biot & peacock

IMG_8418.jpg

wire body

IMG_8423.jpg

Regards,
Scott
They say the times are changing but I just don't know

Comments

• Nothing fancy is perfect!
    2011101615_09_187474.jpg

002-17.jpg

005-6.jpg

003-14.jpg

I am very impressed with your Macro Photography.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    Really nice guys..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • ScottPScottP Senior Member Posts: 480 Senior Member
    Dubbin,

Like your ties, too. I'm embarrassed to say the camera set-up is even more basic than the flies - a 5 yr old Canon Powershot SD750, my Ott light (over the top of the vise), a cheap clamp-on 60w lamp (from the side) and a piece of black construction paper background. Apparently, the camera has a decent macro setting; I didn't even know about it until my daughter started taking some real cool closeups of flowers, vegetation and bugs while we were hiking in Glacier NP.
    They say the times are changing but I just don't know
  • Scott,

I am trying to take pics with my Canon PowerShot A550. It too is dated. I am not able to get the closeups that you are. The first pic I posted was taken by a Swapmeister from a recent Swap. The last 3 pictures are about as close as I can get to the fly. I have tryed zoom, but my camera will not focus. I am going to try more lighting and a box setup for my "studio" (I use the word very loosely), and see if that helps. My goal is to be able to get consistent closeups like yours, and to photograph patterns down to size 26.
  • FlykuniFlykuni Senior Member Posts: 799 Senior Member
    flycdcemerbi.jpg

If cam doesn't focus it could be because the magic rays aren't hitting enough of a target. I solved prob by focusing on jaws or larger part of my tying vise, holding focus (half-depressed shutter skill needed here), then moving lens to fly. I usually take several tries, deleting lots along the way.

Point and shoots may vary in macro funcationality. This is a good one of a Dai Ichi 1750 point, from my older Oly Stylus Tough 6000, a waterproof cam. Almost the perfect friend on, around and into a stream or river.

P2240024.jpg
  • ouzelproouzelpro Senior Member Posts: 5,361 Senior Member
    Soft hackles work so well.
  • Flykuni wrote: »
    flycdcemerbi.jpg

If cam doesn't focus it could be because the magic rays aren't hitting enough of a target. I solved prob by focusing on jaws or larger part of my tying vise, holding focus (half-depressed shutter skill needed here), then moving lens to fly. I usually take several tries, deleting lots along the way.

Point and shoots may vary in macro funcationality. This is a good one of a Dai Ichi 1750 point, from my older Oly Stylus Tough 6000, a waterproof cam. Almost the perfect friend on, around and into a stream or river.

P2240024.jpg

Thanks ****. You helped me take another Macro baby step. You are so right...Lots of deletions before I got a pic that looked a little like a Caddis Pupa

Size 18 Pupa

003-4.jpg

Goin slow on this Macro thing, but I will get there :-)
  • swiperswiper Senior Member Posts: 395 Senior Member
    You guys catch fish with these things? Dead-drift them?
  • mikgaes wrote: »
    You guys catch fish with these things? Dead-drift them?

Most of the time I use them just like a nymph. That means dredging the river bottom to working the water column all the way up. I even use them as a dropper on a Hopper/Copper/Dropper rig

Where ever you might use a PT Nymph, Hares Ear Nymph, Prince, etc....I use Soft Hackles in sizes 22 thru 8
  • Scruffy FlyScruffy Fly Junior Member Posts: 17 Junior Member
    Flykuni wrote:

my comment is:

focusing on the vise and then slowing moving the camera (or not moving the camera) is one way I have also done this. To be clear I still employ it sometimes.

Another technique that works often for me is to lightly touch my fingers against the farside of the fly and let the camera focus on my fingers then I quickly remove my fingers vertically. The camera usually adjusts focus to the fly which generally takes a second or two. Sometimes I have to repeat it a time or two before it stays focused on the fly. Having the backdrop a couple feet or more behind the fly helps it keep the focus on the fly.
    The stronger the light is on the fly relative to the backdrop the easier it is for the focus to stay on the fly.
  • FlykuniFlykuni Senior Member Posts: 799 Senior Member
    for me is to lightly touch my fingers against the farside of the fly and let the camera focus on my fingers then I quickly remove my fingers vertically.

Dang, why didn't I think of that. Ex idea, will try tonight.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    Flykuni wrote: »
    Dang, why didn't I think of that. Ex idea, will try tonight.

I got good info from both of you. Thanks Scruffy Fly, and Flykuni

Size 24
    014-2.jpg

Size 12
    015-1.jpg

009-3.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file