Loading line + backing on a reel

Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior MemberPosts: 5,519 Senior Member
edited July 6 in The Lodge #1

Am I going to f%#@ this up? Should I just go to a fly shop and have them do it? I’ve seen on YouTube where people are loading their own backing & line on a spool but if there is one thing I’ve learned about the Internet it’s that everything is theoretically DIY on YouTube. No, i’m Not going to re-roof my house by myslef, thank you very much.

I’m not worried about the knots but keeping the line, and especially the backing, tight and appropriately level.

PS. To keep this on-topic: F*@# Trump. ;)

Replies

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 5,519 Senior Member

Oh no, i’m serious. I like the idea of putting the fly line on first and then the backing to see just how much backing you need.
    I’ve only gotten into my backing twice while fly fishing for trout. One fish (a big brown) took off down stream at breakneck speed and went around a bend and I never did see him/her. It was remarkable how that fish just peeled line and backing off like it was nothing. Never seen anything like it since.

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,191 Senior Member

I put my own backing on all the time. My wife holds the spool with some tension so that it is tight and then I start winding it on.

I put the backing on until there is about 3/16"-1/4" showing on the reel then attach the line and wind it on.

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 2,071 Senior Member

I just eyeball it. Usually if your reel is sized correctly you should be able to wind all of the backing on and the line without any problems. I think what happens though is that people use reels that are too small. Those Orvis large arbor reels are the worst. They LOOK like they will hold a lot of line. . .but they don't.

• GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,775 Senior Member

I do my own as well although when one of the fly shops went out of business in Minneapolis I bought their line counter so lining spools is a piece of cake.

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

• StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 2,202 Senior Member

I've done it like Kanaloa wrote in his first paragraph (didn't read the rest, of course).

• bmmikebmmike Posts: 62 Member

You’ll be fine. It doesn’t take rocket appliances to figure it out.

• Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 647 Senior Member

@NZ Indicator said:
    I put my own backing on all the time. My wife holds the spool with some tension so that it is tight and then I start winding it on.

I put the backing on until there is about 3/16"-1/4" showing on the reel then attach the line and wind it on.

This

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 5,519 Senior Member

Thanks guys!

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 21,567 Senior Member

I've done it myself a few times. Does it come out perfect? No, but it is rude to go to a shop with line you bought online so I had no choice. It came out fine anyway. I doesn't have to come out perfect.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file