Jurors and PTSD

BushartBushart Senior MemberPosts: 1,441 Senior Member

You know---maybe some will likely default to the "Snowflake" title

But I think this could be real

A real example.....when I was young (around 13) my uncle killed himself in the most horrific way

Well we attended the funeral and stayed with the family---we got "All" the worst of the details----as a young person---this screwed me up for some time---this I know to be true.

They say Robert Blake got wrecked after playing a role and learning the story of Capote's "In Cold Blood"

Don't know a way around the facts of a trial---but I can see where it could leave a mark

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 1,497 Senior Member
    Vicarious trauma... its real.

We had a trial recently that was so bad the jurors asked the judge not to see the physical evidence. The judge apologized, but noted that yes, they would have to see it.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 5,199 Senior Member
    Can't wait for Snowflake Joe's commentary.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,020 Senior Member
    Isn't there some sort of screening for potential jurors? Or at least the option of alternates if you tell them you are not interested in this type of case.

I'm not claiming snowflake here. No doubt that seeing and hearing about the graphic details of a murder can be psychologically damaging. I get that. But apparently $100,000 will make the PTSD go away?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
  • BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 1,441 Senior Member
    I recall some years ago someone I knew---his brother was killed in a vehicle accident

They gave the family the option to leave the court during some of the bad details

He stayed---turned out to be a bad idea---based on his reactions after the fact

I think we can deal with things if it stays generic---like They were killed

Flesh out the details though---one by one and your brain has difficulty dealing with it
  • BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 1,441 Senior Member

A point I was going to make before the change...I know police and 1st responders have to deal with this daily.

But in the same theme---judges and lawyers get to deal also

Such as...You deal the trial details of Crazy----then next case it's Crazy 2.0

Sherb---Did you have a law school prof that touches on this little
    (or not so little) detail that lay ahead?

I know not all members of any force or profession will suffer---I believe each has a % tho

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file