Less Government In Our Lives?

GoldenladleGoldenladle Super ModeratorPosts: 3,765 Senior Member
I thought the Grand O' Party always advocated for less government in our lives.

Think again...

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/trump-wants-cut-back-food-133500122.html

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

Replies

• CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 888 Senior Member
    If we (taxpayers) are going to give them food, then let's give them healthy food and create some jobs while doing it. After seeing the abuse of the cards, I love this idea. If you don't like being told what to eat, then get a fricking job and pay for your own groceries.
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 1,765 Senior Member
    The democrats don't care about deficits. The republicans only care about deficits when they are out of power.

Nothing will be cut, ever. The MOST we can ever hope for is to the slow the growth of certain programs, and even that seems unlikely.
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,765 Senior Member
    sherb wrote: »
    The democrats don't care about deficits. The republicans only care about deficits when they are out of power.

Ain't that the truth. You know, if the democrats decide to come up with a message, this could be it... maybe.

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 2,568 Senior Member

Nothing will be cut, ever. The MOST we can ever hope for is to the slow the growth of certain programs, and even that seems unlikely.

Which is why I'll take every freaking penny I can get back from them.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 5,354 Senior Member
    CO Native wrote: »
    After seeing the abuse of the cards, I love this idea. If you don't like being told what to eat, then get a fricking job and pay for your own groceries.

Probably shouldn't let them vote either. Oh wait, you guys are already working that issue.

Did the items mentioned in the article sound healthy? Juice? As Sherb is fond of saying, all of the bad stuff from fruit with none of the good. Pasta? Carbs are not the best thing for you. Remember government cheese? I do (actually that was some pretty damned tasty cheese).

What about people with medically driven dietary restrictions? Religious dietary restrictions?

I guess the good news is that this plan will never get any traction.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,094 Senior Member
    The biggest beneficiaries of this program are children not adults.

I don't think this is a move in the right direction.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    The biggest beneficiaries of this program are children not adults.

I don't think this is a move in the right direction.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

**** the lazy little bastards, right?
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 21,339 Senior Member
    CO Native wrote: »
    If we (taxpayers) are going to give them food, then let's give them healthy food and create some jobs while doing it. After seeing the abuse of the cards, I love this idea. If you don't like being told what to eat, then get a fricking job and pay for your own groceries.

Most people on SNAP have jobs. Some are in the military.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

One of those programs is purchasing military hardware that even the military says they do not need.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 2,809 Senior Member
    Most people on SNAP have jobs. Some are in the military.

That is out right disgraceful.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie just look at the flowers.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,251 Senior Member

https://babylonbee.com/news/republicans-announce-plan-pretend-fiscally-conservative-moment-democrat-takes-office/
    Can I just say this is probably the stupidest idea ever. This would end up costing more than just simply giving them the $60.
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 1,966 Senior Member
    So Bloomberg
    "The firm estimated that Walmart WMT alone reaps more than one-fifth of all food stamp sales."
    I thought you guys were all about taking down the most evil corp on the planet.
    Where do you think this food is going to come from?

I have said for a very long time that the biggest winner from SNAP was grocery stores and farmers.
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,765 Senior Member
    Can I just say this is probably the stupidest idea ever. This would end up costing more than just simply giving them the $60.

Seems every one has forgotten the major criticism that came from the right when Michelle Obama advocated for kids eating healthy lunches. They should be able to eat what the want. oh well...

Seems every one has forgotten the major criticism that came from the right when Michelle Obama advocated for kids eating healthy lunches. They should be able to eat what the want. oh well...

Early candidate for “own of the year.”

If you're paying for it you should be able to eat what you want.
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,644 Senior Member
    I have said for a very long time that the biggest winner from SNAP was grocery stores and farmers.
    Some stores may be seeing the effects already. Dollar General and at least one other dollar store had stocks drop shortly after the announcement.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
    MikeA wrote: »
    If you're paying for it you should be able to eat what you want.

If you don't like what the school cafeteria is serving make a lunch for the kids. Donuts and juiceboxes for them if that's your choice.
    FishTX wrote: »
    Some stores may be seeing the effects already. Dollar General and at least one other dollar store had stocks drop shortly after the announcement.

Dollar Colonel?

#mystery mush

#ThanksMichelleObama

Check out those pics of a delicious lunch!!!!

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/22/health/thanksmichelleobama-school-lunches/
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,644 Senior Member

You sure the blame should be on the Obamas? I was under the impression they were setting dietary guidelines, not in the school kitchen cooking. It is up to the schools to provide the food.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
    FishTX wrote: »
    You sure the blame should be on the Obamas? I was under the impression they were setting dietary guidelines, not in the school kitchen cooking. It is up to the schools to provide the food.

The in school kitchen cooking is a direct result of the dietary guidelines that were set.

I somewhat applaud her for her efforts but the better food choices begin at home with the parents. Not the school cafeteria.
    So wait ketchup is not a vegetable?
    So wait ketchup is not a vegetable?

I'm going to grow a HFCS tree this summer!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file