He Almost Pulled Off Making a Normal Speech. Almost.

George KGeorge K Super ModeratorPosts: 8,471 Senior Member
WASHINGTON (AP) — The AP is fact-checking remarks from President Donald Trump’s State of the Union speech. Here’s a look at some of the claims we’ve examined (quotations from the speech as delivered or as released by the White House before delivery):

https://apnews.com/e37867ab28704abfbd9ac3dc8ae9612d/AP-FACT-CHECK:-Trump's-claims-in-his-State-of-Union-address
Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Replies

  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 5,359 Senior Member
    I couldn't bring myself to watch. A) Its banal and anachronistic. I watched most of Obama and Bush's in spite of this but see B. B) He makes my blood boil. C) The main doesn't have any policies or political beliefs to advance so that makes it extra inane.

    Did he actually say "beautiful clean coal?" No way he actually said those words, right?
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,644 Senior Member
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    Did he actually say "beautiful clean coal?" No way he actually said those words, right?
    Why not? He says we are going to build waterways.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

    Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 21,339 Senior Member
    You guys do know that the Associated Press is part of the liberal elite media bent on destroying Trump, right? Can you say fake news?
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 21,339 Senior Member
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    I couldn't bring myself to watch. A) Its banal and anachronistic. I watched most of Obama and Bush's in spite of this but see B. B) He makes my blood boil. C) The main doesn't have any policies or political beliefs to advance so that makes it extra inane.

    Did he actually say "beautiful clean coal?" No way he actually said those words, right?

    I was starting to miss acid rain.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 5,359 Senior Member
    I was starting to miss acid rain.

    And the air in the Salt Lake Valley wasn't at unhealthy levels for enough days. Emphysema is in the Conztatushun!!!
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,098 Senior Member
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    B) He makes my blood boil.

    Why? Has he done something that personally affected you or someone you know in the past year?

    Life has been normal as usual for me and everyone else I know.

    I didn't watch. Did 10 miles of fat biking followed by a stop at the local brewery. Came home, went to bed, woke up the next morning and everything was OK in the world.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,098 Senior Member
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    B) He makes my blood boil.

    Why? Has he done something that personally affected you or someone you know in the past year?

    Life has been normal as usual for me and everyone else I know.

    I didn't watch. Did 10 miles of fat biking followed by a stop at the local brewery. Came home, went to bed, woke up the next morning and everything was OK in the world.

    Much better than staring at a TV screen of empty promises if you ask me...
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 21,339 Senior Member
    He has made me embarrassed for my country and ashamed of my fellow citizens.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,905 Senior Member
    Why? Has he done something that personally affected you or someone you know in the past year?

    Life has been normal as usual for me and everyone else I know.

    True for most. However, he is unpredictable, unethical, ignores expert opinion, and shows no concern for basic constitutional rights. Its only one year in. Hey, things looked good for the Titanic the first days out.
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 1,966 Senior Member
    creekguy wrote: »
    shows no concern for basic constitutional rights.

    Do tell...
  • BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 1,682 Senior Member
    I would think the war with the news media jumps out
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 1,966 Senior Member
    I haven't seen any writers or publishers go to jail.
  • BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 1,682 Senior Member
    Just wait....does he not want to enact a new liable law so he can sue?...pretty sure I heard him say that

    And how free is the press when he refuses to answer questions from certain agencies---Is he not POTUS for all---or just the select few who agree with him?
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 8,471 Senior Member
    Bushart wrote: »
    I would think the war with the news media jumps out

    The comments about judges and courts, especially those trying cases involving him; his apparent belief that he should be able to issue diktats to the Justice Department; his pardon of Sheriff Pink Panties; his apparent belief that kneeling during the national anthem or not reciting the Pledge of Allegiance are illegal acts...

    These are just a few more things that Steven should ponder when considering whether Trump understands, much less respects, basic Constitutional rights.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 1,966 Senior Member
    Bushart wrote: »
    Just wait....does he not want to enact a new liable law so he can sue?...pretty sure I heard him say that

    And how free is the press when he refuses to answer questions from certain agencies---Is he not POTUS for all---or just the select few who agree with him?

    Read up on the Sedition Act of 1798 to find out what restricting Freedom of the Press means. Not be willing to talk to certain agencies or papers isn't exactly what it's all about.
  • BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 1,682 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    Read up on the Sedition Act of 1798 to find out what restricting Freedom of the Press means. Not be willing to talk to certain agencies or papers isn't exactly what it's all about.

    What about suing them into non-existence?
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,098 Senior Member
    He has made me embarrassed for my country and ashamed of my fellow citizens.

    LOL!!!! The next 3 years are going to be really rough for you!!!

    Did Slick Willy make you feel the same way when he was doing vaginal exams with a cigar?
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 1,966 Senior Member
    Bushart wrote: »
    What about suing them into non-existence?

    If the papers are printing stories that are substantially true and do not have doubts about what they're reporting, they've got nothing to worry about.
  • BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 1,682 Senior Member
    Never seen a petition started in a foreign allied country demanding to keep the Prez out (Britain)---till this guy

    He also did manage to get booed in Davos as well

    Must be hard for you guys to keep your lunch down trying to defend this guy
    OK watch as he takes credit for Obama's economy improvements...gulp
  • BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 1,682 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    If the papers are printing stories that are substantially true and do not have doubts about what they're reporting, they've got nothing to worry about.

    What better way to put them outta biz than tie them up in the courts where they have to use their $$ and the other side has infinite gov't funds...sounds bout right
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 1,966 Senior Member
    That's not reality. That's make believe.

    Anyway, the President could do that today, but won't win if the stories are substantially true and without malice (which means that paper does not doubt what it's writing is true).
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 2,573 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    That's not reality. That's make believe.

    Anyway, the President could do that today, but won't win if the stories are substantially true and without malice (which means that paper does not doubt what it's writing is true).

    Their stories are usually true. Just missing key parts.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 21,339 Senior Member
    LOL!!!! The next 3 years are going to be really rough for you!!!

    Did Slick Willy make you feel the same way when he was doing vaginal exams with a cigar?

    Trump could do unspeakable things with Stormy Daniels in the cockpit of Air Force One and I wouldn't care one bit. It is not what goes into his mouth that concerns me. It is what comes out of it.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 21,339 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    I haven't seen any writers or publishers go to jail.

    Yet. I am more suspecting Risin.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 1,771 Senior Member
    The legal standard of proof is so high that its more or less insurmountable. The defendant will almost always prevail when the libel concerns a public figure.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 8,471 Senior Member
    sherb wrote: »
    The legal standard of proof is so high that its more or less insurmountable. The defendant will almost always prevail when the libel concerns a public figure.

    Trump often has expressed admiration for Britain's libel and slander laws, which require proof that the assertion is true, and the desire to implement them here. Considering the lies and insults he tosses around so freely he should be more careful what he wishes for.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file