Paying for the border wall

breamfisherbreamfisher Senior MemberPosts: 4,251 Senior Member
As Steven pointed out in another thread:
Steven wrote: »
Corporations don't pay taxes. Employees, shareholders and customers pay taxes.

I'd add to that.. countries, too.

So my question is, if Pres. Trump is going to get the border wall built and get Mexico to pay for it, how is the payment going to stay in Mexico? If the money is collected in the form of a tariff, what's to keep a Mexican corporation from incorporating that cost into goods sold here?

If we somehow get the Mexican government to pay for it, they'll probably tax their own manufacturers who'll just pass that tax on to us.

I'm (legitimately) just trying to figure out how Mexico exclusively will be made to pay for the wall....

Replies

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 8,471 Senior Member
    Trump said it so it must be true. Never mind the boring details.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 1,966 Senior Member
    It all depends. I'd think U.S. taxes on Mexican products would most likely hurt the Mexican people.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,251 Senior Member
    It all depends. I'd think U.S. taxes on Mexican products would most likely hurt the Mexican people.
    Explain, please? I have an idea of what you're talking about, but want some clarity.
    Well, let's say we put a tariff on Mexican goods to try and pay for it (I said try for a reason).

A tariff gets added to the price of a good. Assuming a competitive market, the Mexican company would have to lower the price it receives. It will either: a) decrease its own production, potentially laying off employees; b) lower employee compensations; c) accept a decrease in profitability; d) combination of above.

Of course, if production declines, then we may not get the revenue we expected.

If there's just a tax on Mexican corporations, they'll attempt to pass it on to American consumers if competition allows. If not, it will again fall on the Mexican worker or capital.

Edit to add: Of course, there are secondary and tertiary effects. If Mexican wages fall, then less demand for imports which in turn can hurt American workers.
    Okay, that's what I thought.

I've also heard folks suggest we put a surcharge on money transfers from the US to Mexico. I'm not sure if that's legal, or not.
  • CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 890 Senior Member

Edit to add: Of course, there are secondary and tertiary effects. If Mexican wages fall, then less demand for imports which in turn can hurt American workers.

I disagree with that statement. If the wages fall, more stuff will be stolen up here and taken down there. So the replacement of said product will help American workers.
    CO Native wrote: »
    I disagree with that statement. If the wages fall, more stuff will be stolen up here and taken down there. So the replacement of said product will help American workers.

Steven D. Levitt is smiling right now.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 8,471 Senior Member
    CO Native wrote: »

Not if what's stolen are cars made in Mexico. :)
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,765 Senior Member
    George K wrote: »
    Not if what's stolen are cars made in Mexico. :)

5a459c2798cacc8886a8a5dbc76f05f4.jpg

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

• CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 890 Senior Member
    Not just cars, but everything. We had a group of about 40 people here about 8 years ago and they were stealing EVERYTHING. From 4 wheelers to gas grills. Anything that wasn't bolted down.
    They found a truck loaded with stolen stuff headed for Mexico. The driver sang like a canary and they got all of them.
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,905 Senior Member
    Okay, that's what I thought.

I've also heard folks suggest we put a surcharge on money transfers from the US to Mexico. I'm not sure if that's legal, or not.
    It was supposedly what Trump originally thought he could do, since Mexicans in the USA send home a huge amount of $ to family. But, i'm pretty sure there would be intermediary countries who could serve as relays. Send the money to a Caymen islands or other country's bank, which then transfers it to Mexico. How do you stop that?
  • saltydancindavesaltydancindave Senior Member Posts: 2,299 Senior Member
    creekguy wrote: »
    It was supposedly what Trump originally thought he could do, since Mexicans in the USA send home a huge amount of $ to family. But, i'm pretty sure there would be intermediary countries who could serve as relays. Send the money to a Caymen islands or other country's bank, which then transfers it to Mexico. How do you stop that?

Trump is decades late & more than billions & billions of dollars short in that better never than late tradition curtailing the Christian Nation Crusade drug war against the USA which certainly, like playing checkers created a funnel for Islam Christiananality pedophile mentality "man is God" business of a second coming thru 9/11.
    I thought you got banned?
    Holy crap!
  • BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 1,682 Senior Member
    Chickens like men are once again afraid to pray to their sun god or fly to Phoenix Arizona for fear of being pants'd in the subway while on their way to donate a quarter to The salvation Army
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 1,771 Senior Member
    Trump is decades late & more than billions & billions of dollars short in that better never than late tradition curtailing the Christian Nation Crusade drug war against the USA which certainly, like playing checkers created a funnel for Islam Christiananality pedophile mentality "man is God" business of a second coming thru 9/11.

For God does know that in the day you eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and you shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.

I am slowly solving the SDD riddle.
    sherb wrote: »

I am slowly solving the SDD riddle.
    I thought pot and other drugs were illegal in the state you live in.
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 1,771 Senior Member
    I thought pot and other drugs were illegal in the state you live in.

You sir are a puppet of the Islam Christianity pedophile mentality business of a second coming through 9/11. Therefore, I will no longer hear your slanders and lies.
    Beret on too tight?
    I thought you got banned?

Guess the ban expired, just as having thine eyes baptized by urinations; which only lasts so long with appropriate medical care.
  • BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 1,682 Senior Member
    Urination...like many nations.. fight the evil that Republican sweet tea boilers know..the average thong wearer has too many Trojan Magnums and Mormon fishing rods that confuse Christian Crusaders and Seventh Day Adventurers
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,644 Senior Member
    Guess the ban expired, just as having thine eyes baptized by urinations; which only lasts so long with appropriate medical care.
    Speaking of berets on too tight...
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,905 Senior Member
    Well, i was going to point out that taxing winter vegetables from Mexico, the present main source of these, will raise the price of lettuce, tomatoes, and avocados. Domestic sources can't match this production, so prices will go up. Expect to pay more for your salsa and guac dip.
    Of course, if the economy in Mexico gets worse, Mexicans will look to sneak into the U.S. in increasingly large numbers, perhaps dramatically more. No free lunch.

As to salty: welcome back, weirdo!
    creekguy wrote: »
    Well, i was going to point out that taxing winter vegetables from Mexico, the present main source of these, will raise the price of lettuce, tomatoes, and avocados. Domestic sources can't match this production, so prices will go up. Expect to pay more for your salsa and guac dip.
    Of course, if the economy in Mexico gets worse, Mexicans will look to sneak into the U.S. in increasingly large numbers, perhaps dramatically more. No free lunch.

As to salty: welcome back, weirdo!

Thanks for the welcome back to where it's weird when it's almost impossible to fly fish, much less tie flies when banned like after having eyes baptized by urinations; but other forums have freedoms of speech discussions with far less religious & political subordinations of a border wall.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file