On Topic

WetdogWetdog Senior MemberPosts: 5,066 Senior Member
I am finally getting back to tying (again). Where is the best place on line to buy supplies...not much interested in cabelas, the shipping will be as much as the order. Any recommendations? I have a jar to fill. Once full I should have my "skills" back. Any help is most appreciated.
I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
I find the willingness to give it up frightening.

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 2,462 Senior Member
    Wetdog wrote: »
    I am finally getting back to tying (again). Where is the best place on line to buy supplies...not much interested in cabelas, the shipping will be as much as the order. Any recommendations? I have a jar to fill. Once full I should have my "skills" back. Any help is most appreciated.

That's a hard question to answer. It's been my experience that while one item is a great price, the other is out of line with many vendors. You really have to shop around, and where material is concerned I want to put my hands and eyes on it. Even with hooks. Unless its a known hook like the 600 SP 3/0 for me :) I never know if the size and gaps are what I'm looking for. That said I do alot of shopping at Bears Den.
  • WetdogWetdog Senior Member Posts: 5,066 Senior Member
    All I am really looking for is hooks, some thread and some soft hackle. I can get those anywhere. Just wondering if there is somewhere that "you" believe in...like my belief in Fleet Farm haha. I am going to focus at least 50% of the time on fishing wet flies this year. Later, I'll be adding more.
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,754 Senior Member

Hi Mike, hope all is well.

I'm lucky enough to live a few blocks from a really good fly shop. (Free Stone - Hamilton MT) and what I can't get there I usually order from FeatherCraft - http://www.feather-craft.com/

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

• swizzswizz Senior Member Posts: 2,533 Senior Member
    Very cool that you're getting back into it! I try to keep things local but when they don't have something I hit up Amazon online.
    All of your Trout are belong to me.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,068 Senior Member
    Amazon.com

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Goldie

All is very well. It's been two years of not even caring if the sun came up...I didn't even care about taking "pictures." That all changed five weeks after the "procedure." Lucky you. No more fly shops anywhere near here, not even a crummy Gander Mt. I've bought a lot of stuff from feathercraft over the years I expect I'll be going there tomorrow.
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 1,627 Senior Member
    amazon.com

For sure. Get an amazon prime account if you don't have one. reading between the lines, it looks to me like you live in at least a semi-rural area. You'll thank me.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 21,201 Senior Member
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    swizz wrote: »
    Very cool that you're getting back into it! I try to keep things local but when they don't have something I hit up Amazon online.

I kinda hate Amazon...but I know....I know.... I've got a long way to getting back, when that small jar is filled....but **** I can't even remember my Yellow Sally tie...that one that Mundinger coveted...and which beat his **** on that one day on the upper Gallatin. I think I remember how I did it...but I won't know until I get back out west.

My son is going to be building a forge this spring....I have lots of ideas.......
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 1,912 Senior Member
    Feathercraft definitely. Blue Ribbon Flies.

I haven't tied in a couple of years.
    sherb wrote: »
    amazon.com

For sure. Get an amazon prime account if you don't have one. reading between the lines, it looks to me like you live in at least a semi-rural area. You'll thank me.

Semi rural...correct sir. I know Amazon well, my wife sells there...not sure if she still is. We have the prime account. Honestly I never even thought they had FF stuff, I always consider them last. I'll have to check out their prices.
    I kinda hate Amazon...but I know....I know.... I've got a long way to getting back, when that small jar is filled....but **** I can't even remember my Yellow Sally tie...that one that Mundinger coveted...and which beat his **** on that one day on the upper Gallatin. I think I remember how I did it...but I won't know until I get back out west.

My son is going to be building a forge this spring....I have lots of ideas.......
    What's wrong with Amazon?

What's wrong with Amazon?

Amazon does nothing for local jobs. People need work here too even if it's not much. I've been known to gladly spend more at local places when possible.
    Pssst...

The economy is global.

But you and I have nothing local...if you mean within a 10 minute drive from home.

The most local we have is the fly shop in Boulder Junction (not open in winter), the fly shop in Green Bay or one out of Madison.

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 8,363 Senior Member
    Try Hook and Hackle, The first order of each year gets 10% off, and vets get 10% off every order. I have found that Indian hen capes are just fine for soft hackle flies, and they are very inexpensive.

http://store.hookhack.com/Fly-Tying-Supplies/departments/28/
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
    Okay, let me be blunt Richie Farino has a fly shop. If I know him, he will have a ton of materials for sale.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 1,912 Senior Member
    There's a name from the past. What was the name of the store he was with? Urban Angler?
  • CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 820 Senior Member
    I agree with Comic and that's the only time I'll say that. Richie's new shop is District Angling: http://districtangling.com/

I order from either Richie or Charlie at Charlie's fly box: http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/

I know both of them and support them.
    Steven wrote: »
    There's a name from the past. What was the name of the store he was with? Urban Angler?

He left them and opened his own store. It just opened.
    Pssst...

The economy is global.

But you and I have nothing local...if you mean within a 10 minute drive from home.

The most local we have is the fly shop in Boulder Junction (not open in winter), the fly shop in Green Bay or one out of Madison.

hah,
    I guess you don't get it, if the local chain store is doing good, those jobs stay here. If you think "globally" you ignore what's at home...or what's not at home.

Thanks guys, I'll check them all out
    hah,
    I guess you don't get it, if the local chain store is doing good, those jobs stay here. If you think "globally" you ignore what's at home...or what's not at home.

Thanks guys, I'll check them all out

Yeah I get it. But I have no loyalty to "local" buying. Mabye it's just me (but I doubt I'm alone) I like to keep more dollars in MY pocket. That's why I shop Amazon. 95% of the items are cheaper than anywhere else and they are shipped to my house for free in 2 days (I have an Amazon Prime account). Your mileage may vary.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file