I Made A Couple More Knives

Comments

• swizzswizz Senior Member Posts: 2,533 Senior Member
    Winter is knifemaking season for me and I finally sprung for my dream grinder... and she's a beauty. I can now ruin perfectly good steel at a record pace! https://beaumontmetalworks.com/product/3-speed-kmg-8/
    Recent knife and sheath creation for a friend who just retired from the USAF. Handle material is Lapis Lazuli, Nickel Silver bolsters (etched satin), and Alabama Damascus billet. A relatively large knife.
    27660358449_e9af79924e_b.jpgLD1 2k by GhostCreekMine, on Flickr

39437191161_62d7daa82d_b.jpgLD2 2k by GhostCreekMine, on Flickr

27660358729_ac5b903dfa_b.jpgLD3 2k by GhostCreekMine, on Flickr
    All of your Trout are belong to me.
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,609 Senior Member
    Shawn might like one like that.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
    I'm not working with stone again until I get better lapidary equipment. That was hard.
    I think the same blade would go well with an antler handle.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
    Working on a bushcraft style of design now for my next knife which will go to my little sister. She wants a camping knife.
    25613280658_411366098a_b.jpgBushcraft by GhostCreekMine, on Flickr
    I get it. I took a lapidary course about forty years ago.

I like the drawing. I miss drafting with t-squares and pencils. CAD doesn't have the same feel.

FishTX wrote: »
    I like the drawing. I miss drafting with t-squares and pencils. CAD doesn't have the same feel.
    TOTALLY! I still have tons of drafting equipment including a drafting table and elbow which I never use. I love any excuse to bust out the t-square and pencils. CAD has no soul.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 5,298 Senior Member
    FishTX wrote: »
    Shawn might like one like that.

It is very, very nice but in my experience, sharp objects and USAF personnel are not the best mix. ;)
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 4,551 Senior Member
    With such fine printing I question whats on your birth certificate. ;)
    “Labor unions are super-PACs. Labor unions are super-PACs Democrats like so we don’t go after labor unions .”
    -Howard Screamin Dean
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 1,628 Senior Member
    That Damascus knife is **** beautiful. You should try out for Forged in fire.

I love that show.
    Thanks! Love that show but I am not at the level of making my own Damascus yet. Gas forge is one of the next things on my list. For now I buy expensive billets from Alabama Damasus, arguably the best in the US.
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    It is very, very nice but in my experience, sharp objects and USAF personnel are not the best mix. ;)
    Give it to Sherb. He will know what to do with it. Slice the bananas for a PB and nanner samich. Marines are experts with knives.

• CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 821 Senior Member
    Swizz, you do any folding knives?
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 2,462 Senior Member
    Amazing work! Curious how you sharpen your knives. Do you use any of the contraptions or just a stone?
    I've done three folding knives. Last year I purchased a DVD and learned how to make auto-assist folders. Latest folder is a large auto-assist and works really well. I'm still in the process of embellishing the handle scales and spine. I don't think I'll do many more folders until I can get my mittens on a CNC or milling machine. Otherwise, it's buying parts instead of manufacturing my own.
    MikeA wrote: »
    Amazing work! Curious how you sharpen your knives. Do you use any of the contraptions or just a stone?
    I use this system and it is amazing: https://wickededgeusa.com/
    Have all stone sets from #50 diamond thru #1600 ceramic. Only cons are that it is expensive, has a learning curve, and is not great for recurve style blades (they offer a rounded stone set for recurves but I have not tried it). Also not good for extremely large or extremely small knives. I don't think that any single "sharpening system" can do it all but for most knives it is the king of sharpeners in my opinion. I can achieve razor sharp edges with a mirror finish. I use a digital Angle Cube to dial-in precise angles.
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 1,912 Senior Member
    Amazing.

As always, I'm totally jealous of anybody with artistic talent.
    I think anyone can do it if they set their mind on it.
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 1,912 Senior Member
    swizz wrote: »
    I think anyone can do it if they set their mind on it.

I can tie flies that work, but they're not art.

You've got a talent.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,221 Senior Member
    Recent knife and sheath creation for a friend who just retired from the USAF. Handle material is Lapis Lazuli, Nickel Silver bolsters (etched satin), and Alabama Damascus billet. A relatively large knife.
    27660358449_e9af79924e_b.jpgLD1 2k by GhostCreekMine, on Flickr
    Beautiful knives, but I have to ask... is that Afghani Lapis Lazuli?
    Probably, that's where most of it comes from.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,221 Senior Member
    Probably, that's where most of it comes from.
    Some folks aren't going to like that....
    That's ok, I plan to use Mammoth tooth in the future which is also gonna stir up a few misguided peeps. I haven't ruled out Alaskan Walrus **** bone which can be legally purchased from natives, other makers have used it. ;)
  • CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 821 Senior Member
    I haven't ruled out Alaskan Walrus **** bone
    That's a switchblade, but instead of pushing a button, you rub it a few times and pops up.
    The Afghan Lapis Lazuli is legal though? Why would people not like that, Bream? Is it somehow tied up in the opioid trade?
    Swizz, those knives are really gorgeous. You are a talented mo-fo for sure.
    Thank you! It's completely legal, you can buy it everywhere like any other gemstone or mineral that's commonly or commercially mined and sold. I think he was referring to people who think we invade middle eastern countries for their natural resources since most Lapis comes from that region.
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 4,551 Senior Member
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    Swizz, those knives are really gorgeous. You are a talented mo-fo for sure.

Plus one. You do some awesome work.
    “Labor unions are super-PACs. Labor unions are super-PACs Democrats like so we don’t go after labor unions .”
    -Howard Screamin Dean
  • tim_stim_s Senior Member Posts: 1,846 Senior Member
    here's my favorite knife pic from this year....

attachment.php?attachmentid=19242&d=1510159971
    Fly Fishing in Maine - www.flyfishinginmaine.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file