Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton Retain Most Admired Titles

Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior MemberPosts: 613 Senior Member
According to Gallup:

http://news.gallup.com/poll/224672/barack-obama-hillary-clinton-retain-admired-titles.aspx

Trump is one of just a handful of sitting Presidents who did not get top honor of being the most admired man.

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/12/27/most-admired-man-woman-gallup-319367

Surprised about Hillary.

Comments

• FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,609 Senior Member
    Scary that Trump is close to Obama and everybody else listed has much lower percentages. Seems to indicate that a lot of people still support Trump.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 5,298 Senior Member
    FishTX wrote: »
    Scary that Trump is close to Obama and everybody else listed has much lower percentages. Seems to indicate that a lot of people still support Trump.

And yet so few people admit to voting for him. People are strange animals.
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    And yet so few people admit to voting for him.

Sometimes hard to admit "I screwed up." Nobody wants to be judged harshly.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 2,798 Senior Member
    Sometimes hard to admit "I screwed up." Nobody wants to be judged harshly.

The people that screwed up were the Hillary voters.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie just look at the flowers.
    Buford wrote: »
    The people that screwed up were the Hillary voters.
    Only a guess. She doesn't hold office, so it is a only guess where we would be today. On the other hand, we see what Trump is doing. We see his childish behavior, hatred etc. One could argue Trump voters made a mistake.

• magallowaymagalloway Senior Member Posts: 818 Senior Member
    Only a guess. She doesn't hold office, so it is a only guess where we would be today. On the other hand, we see what Trump is doing. We see his childish behavior, hatred etc. One could argue Trump voters made a mistake.

Nonsense. If a majority of the electoral college were instructed to install a concussed eight-year-old, it was their civic duty to do so.

Jim

Well, we can all argue about it until the cows come home but I believe history will judge Mr. Trump is an extremely harsh light. People aren't nostalgic for W without reason. Rove, Cheney & Co. were horrible people but at least they weren't overt racists.

Just read a pretty good article from GQ that was published over the summer about Dylan Roof and the Charleston church shooting. It, among other things, postulated about the origin of Roof's hatred and how he got radicalized by on-line white supremacist groups.
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 2,462 Senior Member
    Well, we can all argue about it until the cows come home but I believe history will judge Mr. Trump is an extremely harsh light. People aren't nostalgic for W without reason. Rove, Cheney & Co. were horrible people but at least they weren't overt racists.

Just read a pretty good article from GQ that was published over the summer about Dylan Roof and the Charleston church shooting. It, among other things, postulated about the origin of Roof's hatred and how he got radicalized by on-line white supremacist groups.

Why is the left so scared of white supremacists, as compared to the real threats to our national security? Kim J was building an arsenal of planet destroyers, and our very own prez was sending the world's number one terrorist country BILLIONS in cash, while the left was telling us all how dangerous these white hate groups are. That to me is just mind boggling. And furthermore, it's not the white hate groups plastered all over my news feed who are commiting murder after murder, day in day out, in city after city. So Sorry I'm not scared of a small pathetic band of radical idiots. And you shouldn't be either.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 21,201 Senior Member
    You do know that none of that is true right?

I know it is hard for you to hear people denounce the WP movement, I mean those are your peeps.

A black kid in Alabama has far more to fear from a white cop than he has from Kim Jung In.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    You do know that none of that is true right?

I know it is hard for you to hear people denounce the WP movement, I mean those are your peeps.

A black kid in Alabama has far more to fear from a white cop than he has from Kim Jung In.

You're delusional and I don't know why I even bother replying to you anymore.

Here again, the reality of violent crime stats are staring you in your face every day, but according to you, it's the police that we should be afraid of...

I'll just leave this here. That took every bit of 3 seconds to google on alabama news...
    \http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index.ssf/2018/01/birmingham_jefferson_county_20.html
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,754 Senior Member
    Wait... but what about Chicago? that is the usual rally cry for the right, right?
    Just because people do not all agree with you, does not make them deluded, or from some strange planet. Quit being so decisive and you might have more meaningful conversations with the other side. It is 2018, let us turn over a new leaf. 😇

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

• GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,754 Senior Member
    What is it with apostrophes around here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

MikeA wrote: »
    You're delusional and I don't know why I even bother replying to you anymore.

Here again, the reality of violent crime stats are staring you in your face every day, but according to you, it's the police that we should be afraid of...

I'll just leave this here. That took every bit of 3 seconds to google on alabama news...
    \http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index.ssf/2018/01/birmingham_jefferson_county_20.html

Again I ask you what is your point in comparing the activities of criminals to innocent people being shot by police officers? The very people we pay to protect us from criminals.

I noticed you had a very different perspective when it was a drunk white guy that got shot.

https://mic.com/videos/3122/you-are-more-likely-to-be-killed-by-a-white-supremacist-than-a-radiacal-islamic-terrorist#.E9dR4itji
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    Why is the left so scared of white supremacists, as compared to the real threats to our national security? Kim J was building an arsenal of planet destroyers, and our very own prez was sending the world's number one terrorist country BILLIONS in cash, while the left was telling us all how dangerous these white hate groups are. That to me is just mind boggling. And furthermore, it's not the white hate groups plastered all over my news feed who are commiting murder after murder, day in day out, in city after city. So Sorry I'm not scared of a small pathetic band of radical idiots. And you shouldn't be either.

I will attempt to honestly answer these:

NK: I honestly do not think that NK's missile and nuclear weapon technology is as far advanced as has been reported in the media. Kim Jong Un is a very real threat to the region but not, IMO, globally. Not yet, anyway.

Ask yourself what he (and the Kim Dynasty) really wants. Why does he act like he does? Is he really motivated to start a major regional war? I don't know any more than you do. I do believe that Trump's twitter rants and other comments play right into the hands of Kim.

I think you are not portraying what we on the left feel about this though. Nobody is completely dismissive; I think the level of worry on the left is commensurate with the threat.

Iran: Iran is not the completely irrational international actor they have been portrayed as since 1979. Once again, they are not the threat the right portrays them to be. They are a great and historically relevant society who are not content with their place in the new world order of the past century. Their theocracy is and has been concerning; as are all theocratic regimes. Yes they do actively act against us and our goals in the ME. They are a threat to our national security in that sense but I'm not worried about the Iranian navy establishing a beachhead on the east coast anytime soon.

Along these same lines, why do those on the right feel it is okay to be buddy-buddy with Saudi Arabia?

Regarding the Uranium One conspiracy theory I would suggest you not bring that up in future posts as it undermines your credibility.

Why are YOU and other Trump supporters worried about these? Trump ran as an isolationist. MAGA and all that. The political views of the far right are even less consistent than the President himself.

****: Radicalized, armed-to-the-teeth angry white guys are so obviously more of a threat to your safety than Hassan Rouhanni.
  • Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 613 Senior Member
    Does the White Working Class Really Vote Against Its Own Interests?

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/12/31/trump-white-working-class-history-216200

The gist of this article, which is worth reading, is that members of the white working class people do vote against their interests. Instead they support politicians who are only furthering the interests of the rich because those politicians pander to the white working class's racism. Trump's "wall" is a good example. The sentiment is evident in this thread.
    Does the White Working Class Really Vote Against Its Own Interests?

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/12/31/trump-white-working-class-history-216200

The gist of this article, which is worth reading, is that members of the white working class people do vote against their interests. Instead they support politicians who are only furthering the interests of the rich because those politicians pander to the white working class's racism. Trump's "wall" is a good example. The sentiment is evident in this thread.

A complete lack of understanding about what happened to you guy's wonderful bliss filled world is whats evident in this thread. You're candidate lost. America rejected more Obama policy. It's just that simple. There's no **** overlord. No Reds under the bed. Just a vote for anything except more of the same. Now, the implication from the article that "working whites" (btw, don't ya just love being grouped into a negative stereotype, because you work! lol) are imprinted with some racist ideology at birth?? sounds like, well,, racist propaganda.
    I will attempt to honestly answer these:

NK: I honestly do not think that NK's missile and nuclear weapon technology is as far advanced as has been reported in the media. Kim Jong Un is a very real threat to the region but not, IMO, globally. Not yet, anyway.

Ask yourself what he (and the Kim Dynasty) really wants. Why does he act like he does? Is he really motivated to start a major regional war? I don't know any more than you do. I do believe that Trump's twitter rants and other comments play right into the hands of Kim.

I think you are not portraying what we on the left feel about this though. Nobody is completely dismissive; I think the level of worry on the left is commensurate with the threat.

Iran: Iran is not the completely irrational international actor they have been portrayed as since 1979. Once again, they are not the threat the right portrays them to be. They are a great and historically relevant society who are not content with their place in the new world order of the past century. Their theocracy is and has been concerning; as are all theocratic regimes. Yes they do actively act against us and our goals in the ME. They are a threat to our national security in that sense but I'm not worried about the Iranian navy establishing a beachhead on the east coast anytime soon.

Along these same lines, why do those on the right feel it is okay to be buddy-buddy with Saudi Arabia?

Regarding the Uranium One conspiracy theory I would suggest you not bring that up in future posts as it undermines your credibility.

Why are YOU and other Trump supporters worried about these? Trump ran as an isolationist. MAGA and all that. The political views of the far right are even less consistent than the President himself.

****: Radicalized, armed-to-the-teeth angry white guys are so obviously more of a threat to your safety than Hassan Rouhanni.

I didn't mention Uranium one.
    Radicalized armed to the teeth angry ANY RACE OR GENDER is more of threat Shawn. What the hell is going on up north that has you all so spooked? I'm all over the place down here in the south and I don't see any of this stuff.
    A complete lack of understanding about what happened to you guy's wonderful bliss filled world is whats evident in this thread. You're candidate lost. America rejected more Obama policy. It's just that simple. There's no **** overlord. No Reds under the bed. Just a vote for anything except more of the same. Now, the implication from the article that "working whites" (btw, don't ya just love being grouped into a negative stereotype, because you work! lol) are imprinted with some racist ideology at birth?? sounds like, well,, racist propaganda.

The irony of your showing any concern over stereotypes is rich.
    The irony of your showing any concern over stereotypes is rich.

When all you have is a hammer I guess everything looks like a nail. Get a new argument dude.
    again more irony. love it.

Speaking of angry white guys. Did you see this?
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/01/03/texas-imam-apologizes-after-muslims-will-kill-jews-sermon-in-response-to-trumps-jerusalem-speech.html
    Still not seeing the hypocrisy I guess.
    Mike, you have a better chance of hell freezing over than me clicking on a fox article.
    Speaking of freezing, I heard they are going to rename Tennessee “New Hoth.”
    Mike, you have a better chance of hell freezing over than me clicking on a fox article.
    Speaking of freezing, I heard they are going to rename Tennessee “New Hoth.”

Don't worry it's not contagious :)

YES it's freaking frigid as hell here. Our new house has had a few minor pipe freezing issues but no bursts yet... A house down the road from me is an AirBNB and she just texted me asking me to head over after work and start a repair job on her plumbing. I'm growing my after work business ventures into rich folks service contracts on their weekend homes. And this cold snap is good for business.
    And according to Trump this cold snap totally disproves global warming so that’s good news, right?

Broken pipes would have to be a total nightmare. When you guys are done with it I will gladly take back some winter. This ski season is the worst I’ve seen since first moving here in 1989. I don’t live here for the night life so winter had better get its **** together soon!
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,068 Senior Member
    Don't worry it's not contagious :)

YES it's freaking frigid as hell here. Our new house has had a few minor pipe freezing issues but no bursts yet... A house down the road from me is an AirBNB and she just texted me asking me to head over after work and start a repair job on her plumbing. I'm growing my after work business ventures into rich folks service contracts on their weekend homes. And this cold snap is good for business.

Please describe this cold snap. I've been dealing with below zero temps the past 2 weeks. Lowest I've seen so far is 26 degrees below zero with 40 below wind chill factors.
    Joe, I remember a cold snap with temps like that when I was a teen growing up in Pittsburgh. Fascinatingly cold; a pretty unique experience.
    Please describe this cold snap. I've been dealing with below zero temps the past 2 weeks. Lowest I've seen so far is 26 degrees below zero with 40 below wind chill factors.

We’ve seen teens mostly, but considering the last few winters that we’ve grown accustom to, it feels like Antarctica here now. Temps that you’re describing would shut the entire state down.
    We are 10 degrees above normal here this week.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,068 Senior Member
    We’ve seen teens mostly, but considering the last few winters that we’ve grown accustom to, it feels like Antarctica here now. Temps that you’re describing would shut the entire state down.

Lol...8 degrees here right now. Feels like a heat wave.

Tonights low is -11.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file