California? ****?

Comments

• swizzswizz Senior Member Posts: 2,533 Senior Member
    The point is that a determination is not being made at birth.
    Only in California... which makes them, batshit crazy.
    All of your Trout are belong to me.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 21,204 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    You can give a boy an easy bake oven and he still grows up as a "boy". Hell, I played with Barbie dolls as a kid. Since I only had 2 sisters, it was either that, or play by myself. You don't have to label them non-binary, whatever the hell that is. Answer to a non-problem.

The thing is you kept putting her and Ken in compromising positions.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 1,913 Senior Member
    Under this logic, it would have no bearing on anything if sherb put down the gender of one of his daughter's as male. We good with this?
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,068 Senior Member
    The point is that a determination is not being made at birth.

Ummm yeah...that's what Steve is talking about.

Doty, who gave birth to Searyl Atli, sports a mustache and stubble and wants the child’s gender to be undeclared on all government documents until the child has “the sense of self and command of vocabulary to tell me who they are.”

https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/parent-pursues-gender-unknown-birth-certificate-for-their-child

Seriously? There are only 2 choices on the birth certificate at birth. "X" is not one of the choices.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 5,298 Senior Member
    Ithaca, NY is really beautiful. I wish the NE had military bases where I could transfer to.
    swizz wrote: »
    Only in California... which makes them, batshit crazy.

Non-binary simply means you are not categorizing someone one way or the other. It is like putting agnostic instead of Catholic on the form and letting them decide later. It has to exist because some bigots are trying to keep people out of bathrooms.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    Hey, she/he/whatever (I am not exactly used to this pronoun thing either) is from Ithaca. Cool.

I think Asia's preferred pronoun as "they." There's an absolutely hysterical scene when Taylor (Dillon) explains the preferred pronouns to the boss, David Axelrod (Damian Lewis). Taylor's a genius stock analyst so Axelrod will go along with anything.
    Ummm yeah...that's what Steve is talking about.

Doty, who gave birth to Searyl Atli, sports a mustache and stubble and wants the child’s gender to be undeclared on all government documents until the child has “the sense of self and command of vocabulary to tell me who they are.”

https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/parent-pursues-gender-unknown-birth-certificate-for-their-child

Seriously? There are only 2 choices on the birth certificate at birth."X" is not a choice.

So what is your problem with this?
    Non-binary simply means you are not categorizing someone one way or the other. It is like putting agnostic instead of Catholic on the form and letting them decide later. It has to exist because some bigots are trying to keep people out of bathrooms.

This isn't quite accurate. Non-binary is really a catch-all phrase for a whole slew of gender identities. It's a categorization apart from cisgender and transgender.
    Steven wrote: »
    I think Asia's preferred pronoun as "they." There's an absolutely hysterical scene when Taylor (Dillon) explains the preferred pronouns to the boss, David Axelrod (Damian Lewis). Taylor's a genius stock analyst so Axelrod will go along with anything.

I have been using 'they' instead of the 'him/her' or 'he/she' for a while now. Got some grief from an editor friend for that.
    This isn't quite accurate. Non-binary is really a catch-all phrase for a whole slew of gender identities. It's a categorization apart from cisgender and transgender.

How is that different than what I just said?
    So what is your problem with this?

Regardless of what the parent a doctor or anyone else says a child has a genetic code that determines their sex. End of story.
    Under this logic, it would have no bearing on anything if sherb put down the gender of one of his daughter's as male. We good with this?

Would it have bearing? In what way does the way he identifies her on a piece of paper, she will not see until she wants a passport or join the military, effect her development?
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 1,634 Senior Member
    Non-binary simply means you are not categorizing someone one way or the other.

Do you realize how insane this sounds? They are "categorized" by virtue of their sex organs. Parents don't get to choose this. You can't wish a set of genitals away.
    It is like putting agnostic instead of Catholic on the form and letting them decide later.

Actually, its nothing like this. This is the worst analogy I've seen in a while and I read Joe K's posts. (Sorry Joe).
    It has to exist because some bigots are trying to keep people out of bathrooms.

Not hardly. The only reason to put non-binary on a birth certificate is virtue-signaling that you are a member of the in-group as opposed to the bigots*. It changes nothing for the child. They are either male or female.

*bigot, also a word with no contemporary meaning.
    sherb wrote: »
    Its a good thing I'm not in college now. If i got to choose my pronoun it would be "your holiness" or something equally as grandiose. Why stop at he, she, ze, zir, etc.

If I get to choose my own unique pronoun I might yet be sold on this concept!
    Sherb, please explain why the term bigot has no contemporary meaning? Is it just the overuse? If so I have to disagree.
    Not hardly. The only reason to put non-binary on a birth certificate is virtue-signaling that you are a member of the in-group as opposed to the bigots*. It changes nothing for the child. They are either male or female.

*bigot, also a word with no contemporary meaning.

Okay this lacks credibility. How does this put you in any group? Are they going to put the birth certificate above the fire place?
    Regardless of what the parent a doctor or anyone else says a child has a genetic code that determines their sex. End of story.
    When I hear people have discussions about gender, however, even the self-proclaimed skeptics proclaim that it’s a black and white issue.
    “There are only two genders! Science says so.”
    And while a hefty knowledge of scientific work is admirable, what are they referencing when they say “science”? As if it were so obvious and clear, many of these critics vaguely point to “biology”. People with these parts are female, and people with the other parts are male.
    And while many of the critics of non-binary genders believe in the separation of biology and mental gender, let’s tackle the idea for those who are unaware.
    Intersex people are a phenomenon of much question. The Intersex Society of North America defines it as, “a person born with a reproductive or sexual anatomy that doesn’t seem to fit the typical definitions of female or male.” They can be born with differing anatomy, or chromosomes that aren’t XX or XY.
    So, 7th grade biology isn’t as cut and dry as it was made to seem, is it? Many would say that intersex is just a “disorder”, and that it shouldn’t be used in an argument about the two genders. But disregarding this nuance is rejecting a glimpse into what gender really means. If intersex people are biologically ambiguous, then what does that say about their identity?
    Gender and sex are separate concepts. Gender is an identity that you feel mentally, while sex is your biological orientation. Here’s an example: Laverne Cox. She’s a wonderful actress, and appears on Orange Is the New Black. She was assigned male at birth.

Okay this lacks credibility. How does this put you in any group? Are they going to put the birth certificate above the fire place?

Metaphorically, yes. Yes, that is exactly what they are doing.
    How is that different than what I just said?

It is a true characterization of gender apart from male or female, not a refusal to characterize gender.
    It is a true characterization of gender apart from male or female, not a refusal to characterize gender.

Not for purposes of the form. Read NZ's article.

Fact is a child is born with a gender assignment. To change it or not is a decision for that child on his/her/it's own time in the future.
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 1,634 Senior Member
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    Metaphorically, yes. Yes, that is exactly what they are doing.

exactly. Why else do it except to let others know that you have done it? There's no other reason. Even if you mark the birth certificate "boy" or "girl", you can still raise the child the way you wish, including allowing for whatever you as a parent wish to impart about gender roles.
    I have been using 'they' instead of the 'him/her' or 'he/she' for a while now. Got some grief from an editor friend for that.

And you should.
    Fact is a child is born with a gender assignment. To change it or not is a decision for that child on his/her/it's own time in the future.

Not when you force people to use facilities based on that form and not that decision they make on their own.
    Why else do it except to let others know that you have done it?

Libs want to be known as the heroes for all?
    Not for purposes of the form. Read NZ's article.

The chick with the beard was wrong.
    Edit to add: This is exactly the point I tried to make. Declaring your child non-binary isn't the same as saying "I don't really know."
    And you should.

The former is tedious.
    The chick with the beard was wrong.

Why are they wrong?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file