If Rubio gets this child tax credit thing done

Comments

• Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 613 Senior Member
    jbilly wrote: »
    I don't know if we can pull up posts from that long ago (and I'm not wasting my time ding such) but I'd like to asks the Libs here who are so fired up about this if they were just as fired up when Obama extended the Bush cuts?

You seem awfully worried about spending today and I wonder if you cared this much back then?

I've been a deficit hawk right along. Unlike the Republicans.

I recall Obama convincing/cajoling Congress during a lame duck session to let a sunset on Bush tax cuts for the rich take effect. It helped, a little, on the deficit and was a small victory against the Rs' profligate fiscal policy.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,068 Senior Member
    Bushart wrote: »
    Nice comeback Pot's---says alot---I now have a better understanding of the Past here in the Lodge
    Not sure what that's supposed to mean.

But I presented the data about the middle class moving up which is one of the causes of the gap between the rich and poor but you refuse to accept it.

Can't help you there.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 21,204 Senior Member
    Because the middle class is moving up.

Yes under Obama they made some gains. This will be the end of that.

http://www.businessinsider.com/income-gap-between-upper-middle-class-and-very-rich-2017-7
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    I will say that the 20% deduction for income from a pass through business is going to help me. I am in a small partnership (7 partners and 20+/- employees). All the profit is taxed at individual rates in the hands of the partners. The new deduction is intended to give small non-corporate business entities tax treatment similiar to the now reduced tax rates for corporations. I can't say we're going to go out and hire new employees, but we will probably share the savings to some extent with our employees.
    I see that a number of big companies are giving tax cut bonuses to their employees:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2017/12/20/handful-companies-promise-bonuses-pay-raises/971199001/

I'm still worried about the impact of the tax bill on the deficit but am happy to be proven wrong.
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 1,913 Senior Member
    Okay so where were all these jobs when either Bush was President? Why has the gap between the rich and the poor increased steadily since we first fell in love with this fantasy?

You could argue that the tax rate was so low compared to when Reagan took office that it even benefited Clinton.

As for the gap between rich and poor, who said a tax cut was supposed to narrow it? The differential always goes up when the economy grows.
    You do realize this makes you sound desperate.

Citing a mayor of NY isn't?
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    I also believe that one of government's core functions should be to serve as a medium to redistribute wealth.

Given that an income tax had to be specifically added to the Constitution and wasn't until 1913, I feel really confident that this wasn't a core function according to the Founding Fathers.

To be honest, I can't even come close to getting my head around this.
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 2,462 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    Given that an income tax had to be specifically added to the Constitution and wasn't until 1913, I feel really confident that this wasn't a core function according to the Founding Fathers.

To be honest, I can't even come close to getting my head around this.
    The fox and the hen house comes to mind.

And these companies should be avoided at all costs.
    Major companies including Cisco Systems Inc., Pfizer Inc. and Coca-Cola Co. say they’ll turn over most gains from proposed corporate tax cuts to their shareholders, undercutting President Donald Trump’s promise that his plan will create jobs and boost wages for the middle class.
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-11-29/trump-s-tax-promises-undercut-by-ceo-plans-to-reward-investors
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,905 Senior Member
    Trickle down baby, trickle down!
    Guys,

This is horrible. People are receiving bonuses, increased wages and a lower tax rate putting more money in their pocket. How sad. :(
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 9,571 Senior Member
    I just made a crap ton of money from yesterday to today. Thank you President Trump and Republicans.
    Buffco wrote: »
    I just made a crap ton of money from yesterday to today. Thank you Putin and the Russians.
    Fixed it for you. :)
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 9,571 Senior Member
    MikeA wrote: »
    Fixed it for you. :)

More likely it was the Chinese.

Thankful for cheap labor!
    Citing a mayor of NY isn't?

I was citing a billionaire investor.
    So?

Is that fact that he's worth $37 billion enough for you to agree with Sheldon Adelson?
    Why is the GOP Tax Bill So Unpopular? Maybe It’s All Relative.
    The social science research that explains why Republicans are losing the battle of public opinion.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/12/21/unpopular-gop-tax-bill-relative-deprivation-216158

It is all about "relative deprivation."
    Why is the GOP Tax Bill So Unpopular? Maybe It’s All Relative.
    The social science research that explains why Republicans are losing the battle of public opinion.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/12/21/unpopular-gop-tax-bill-relative-deprivation-216158

It is all about "relative deprivation."

Perhaps these polls and surveys aren't as indicative of Americans opinion as they would have us believe. Surely the last election thought us that these polls can be waaay off. I’m done caring what they (polls and surveys) say anymore personally. This tax break is one of the big campaign promises that Trump ran on. Why would all of his supporters find it unpopular all of sudden? Fake news. :)
    People vote with their wallets.

Including me.

MikeA wrote: »
    Perhaps these polls and surveys aren't as indicative of Americans opinion as they would have us believe. Surely the last election thought us that these polls can be waaay off. I’m done caring what they (polls and surveys) say anymore personally. This tax break is one of the big campaign promises that Trump ran on. Why would all of his supporters find it unpopular all of sudden? Fake news. :)

All I can say is time will tell.
  • swizzswizz Senior Member Posts: 2,533 Senior Member
    All I can say is time will tell.
    Time has already told... you and Hillary didn't listen. The polls are a joke. If anything, they **** off and energize Trumpies even more.
    I too will be voting with my wallet as most Americans do. Where have I heard this before.... "It's the economy, stupid".
    All of your Trout are belong to me.
    So?

Is that fact that he's worth $37 billion enough for you to agree with Sheldon Adelson?

Maybe but the fact that he is a borderline criminal that bribes public officials and makes his money taking prescription money from little old ladies, does have an impact. Bloomberg was looking at a poll that stated that the majority of CEO's have no plans to increase payrolls regardless of the tax cuts. That and the fact the last time we gave $1.5 trillion to millionaires it lead to negligible job gains under W, tells me this is all a fantasy.
    Maybe but the fact that he is a borderline criminal that bribes public officials and makes his money taking prescription money from little old ladies, does have an impact. Bloomberg was looking at a poll that stated that the majority of CEO's have no plans to increase payrolls regardless of the tax cuts. That and the fact the last time we gave $1.5 trillion to millionaires it lead to negligible job gains under W, tells me this is all a fantasy.

It must be tough not liking extra money in your pocket.
    Extra money in my pocket is worthless if increases in my expenses off set it and I lose Medicare and SS for my retirement years.
    Extra money in my pocket is worthless if increases in my expenses off set it

What expenses are you expecting to increase?

and I lose Medicare and SS for my retirement years.

Still conjecture because you don't know what a future congress may do.

I've gone thru life pretending that SS won't be there for me when I'm ready. You might want to plan the same way.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file