Four for Four

Comments

• creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,905 Senior Member
    I seems to me that the Moslem world has a lot on its plate these days. I think relocation will have less impact than if it happened several decades ago. The warring tribes in Syria, Yemen, etc will quit burning each others children with napalm for a while just to complain about the affront to their religion.
    This event has the value of slowly bringing the Moslem world closer to dealing with reality. Inciting terrorism? Will that be something new?
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 1,965 Senior Member
    creekguy wrote: »
    I seems to me that the Moslem world has a lot on its plate these days. I think relocation will have less impact than if it happened several decades ago. The warring tribes in Syria, Yemen, etc will quit burning each others children with napalm for a while just to complain about the affront to their religion.
    This event has the value of slowly bringing the Moslem world closer to dealing with reality. Inciting terrorism? Will that be something new?

Actually pretty much the Administration's reasoning.

1) Israeli control of West Jerusalem is a reality. It might as well be recognized.
    2) The U.S., Saudis, Jordanians, and Egyptians are too united in dealing with Iran and its proxies to have a serious breakdown in relations.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 21,335 Senior Member
    Trump has no reasoning other than exciting his base.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 1,676 Senior Member
    Trump has no reasoning other than exciting his base.

BINGO!!

This move is such a bad idea...One can only hope that this will not draw fire towards Israel and the USA....Has Jerusalem not been claimed as the "Holy Place" of several religions???...We all know politics and religion work so well together

I cannot believe the playground leadership of potus---hey Rocket Man---Muslim ban...etc---your future is being planned by a deranged reality tv star
    sleep well

Lock that guy up before he causes you damage

Oh well..at least he's not digging up half of Utah...oh wait
    Oh also

Western allies of Britain, France and Germany have tried to change trump's decision on this---good luck
    Still trying to change the channel on not getting him or his family arrested I guess for obstruction of justice

Well still good he's not opened mining in Indian graveyards in Utah I guess....oh wait
  • Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 621 Senior Member
    Why are we pouring gasoline on a fire by recognizing Jerusalem as the capital of Israel? To make the Israelis feel good? I'm fine with supporting Israel on its right to exist and be free from attack, but we don't need to do this to accomplish those goals.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 5,345 Senior Member
    Why are we pouring gasoline on a fire by recognizing Jerusalem as the capital of Israel? To make the Israelis feel good? I'm fine with supporting Israel on its right to exist and be free from attack, but we don't need to do this to accomplish those goals.

Well, it plays well to his base*, for one. Plus, there are many on the right that think this is the right thing to do. Trump doesn't think that because he couldn't find Israel on a map, but he does score points with his base.

Not that many of his supporters can make a cogent argument regarding this or any other Middle East politics, but the lefties don't like it so it must be a great thing. Steven is one of the few people who make a thoughtful argument.
    I honestly don't give a ****.
    This whole thing just brings up the specter of the crusades. Arabs have very long memories. They will rally.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    This is bulletin board material for entities who are looking for a reason to hate the US---trump wins

Who loses---stay tuned
    Bushart wrote: »

Well still good he's not opened mining in Indian graveyards in Utah I guess....oh wait

I would be in favor of Trump shrinking the size of Utah.
    The Israeli-Palestinian/Arab conflict has gone on so long and is so intractable that I guess we just have to be resigned to it going on forever. Perhaps this latest development won't make it any worse, but it sure as heck won't make it any better.
    The Israeli-Palestinian/Arab conflict has gone on so long and is so intractable that I guess we just have to be resigned to it going on forever. Perhaps this latest development won't make it any worse, but it sure as heck won't make it any better.

And everyone had so much hope that "Kushner" would bring peace to the Middle east
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    I would be in favor of Trump shrinking the size of Utah.

Do you work for a mining company??
    Do you work for a mining company??

Ha, ha! Seriously, give the western half to NV and the eastern half to CO. The mo-mo's can keep temple square.
    And everyone had so much hope that "Kushner" would bring peace to the Middle east

Oh my God, I had totally forgot about that!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, he may want to expedite that process as it is going to be difficult to accomplish from jail.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 8,459 Senior Member
    This.678910
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • magallowaymagalloway Senior Member Posts: 832 Senior Member
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    Well, it plays well to his base*, for one. Plus, there are many on the right that think this is the right thing to do. Trump doesn't think that because he couldn't find Israel on a map, but he does score points with his base.

Not that many of his supporters can make a cogent argument regarding this or any other Middle East politics, but the lefties don't like it so it must be a great thing. Steven is one of the few people who make a thoughtful argument.
    I honestly don't give a ****.

I suspect that Dolt45's 'Base' in this case are ultra-conservative Christian groups who see the return of power to Jerusalem as a precursor to Armageddon. For that matter such folk may well feel that ratcheting up the tensions in the area can only help to lead to the second coming--"Keep lookin' for that red calf, Boys!"

Jim
    Yes, Jim. The angry mob, it seems, needs a daily feeding.
    magalloway wrote: »
    Dolt45'

Jim

BILLYrose.jpg

I'm Billy Dee Williams and I approve this message.
    Right on time---24 hours later----Bethlehem is full of black smoke

Must be from all the celebratory fires
    If fears of terrorism or Palestinians rioting are the best reasons not to recognize at least West Jerusalem as the capital of Israel in the face of all reality, we should have done this a long, long, time ago.
    No the reason is because it jeopardizes the peace process, which is the end goal for some of us. Others I recognize have no interest in seeing peace in the middle east that does not end with the utter destruction of Palestine. Bibi and Trump appear to be two of them.
    No the reason is because it jeopardizes the peace process.

For the sake of repeating myself, I'll call **** once again. Getting rid of the delusion and getting at least some part of Jerusalem completely off the table will help. Mark my words.
    Others I recognize have no interest in seeing peace in the middle east that does not end with the utter destruction of Palestine.

Ignoring the fact that there's never, ever been a Palestinian nation...if you're suggesting that the goal is to wipe out the Palestinians in some kind of genocidal murderous frenzy, then you're as bad as Ed.
  • EdBEdB Senior Member Posts: 2,833 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    For the sake of repeating myself, I'll call **** once again. Getting rid of the delusion and getting at least some part of Jerusalem completely off the table will help. Mark my words.

Ignoring the fact that there's never, ever been a Palestinian nation...if you're suggesting that the goal is to wipe out the Palestinians in some kind of genocidal murderous frenzy, then you're as bad as Ed.

What a terrible thing to say to someone.
    You threw a huge high hanging curve ball right there. I'll just watch it go by.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 8,459 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    If fears of terrorism or Palestinians rioting are the best reasons not to recognize at least West Jerusalem as the capital of Israel in the face of all reality, we should have done this a long, long, time ago.

There you go Steven, staring at one tree and ignoring the forest. Whatever slim chances the peace process had have been set back considerably in a craven political act aimed at appeasing Trump's extreme evangelical supporters, who hope this will hasten Armageddon.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,643 Senior Member
    magalloway wrote: »
    I suspect that Dolt45's 'Base' in this case are ultra-conservative Christian groups who see the return of power to Jerusalem as a precursor to Armageddon.

I believe his evangelical advisor said moving the Embassy is a good idea, because Christians have a strong tie to Jews. And I don't get the idea of speeding us towards Armageddon. If they read the Bible, it says that nobody knows when Jesus returns. Speeding up the coming of Armageddon in effect would be humans trying alter God's schedule. Seems counter to Christian belief. Also it is counter to the most important lessons of the Bible. Love and peace.

Pretty sure the non-Christian world doesn't want a war forced on them, because of some other group's beliefs.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
    George K wrote: »
    There you go Steven, staring at one tree and ignoring the forest. Whatever slim chances the peace process had have been set back considerably.

There you go...George. I'm not staring at one tree. I truly believe that this is the best thing for the peace process. Letting the Palestinian leaders continue to convince their followers that all of Jerusalem could possibly be their own is detrimental.

Letting people live in their delusions isn't a way to negotiate anything.
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 2,561 Senior Member
    So,, entire nations fall because of Islamic State, Taliban, Al-Queda, Boko Haram, etc, etc, all tied to Islam. Millions of people murdered across the world and in the US, 911, in the name of this ideology, but that’s just radicals and nothing to do with the religion.

Trump says he’ll move the Embassy to Jerusalem and suddenly Christians are trying to start Armageddon . Seriously? Hypocrisy much?
    MikeA wrote: »
    So,, entire nations fall because of Islamic State, Taliban, Al-Queda, Boko Haram, etc, etc, all tied to Islam. Millions of people murdered across the world and in the US, 911, in the name of this ideology, but that’s just radicals and nothing to do with the religion.

The fact that people have been murdered (it is not millions, but yes, a lot of people) in the name of "this ideology" does not mean that Islam is inherently about murdering and violence. The vast majority of Muslims are not murderers. Yes, there are Islamic terrorists, but that does not mean all Muslims are terrorists.

I do not know what the Christian fundamentalists are up to. As far as I am concerned they are not living in the real world. But, I don't care--whatever floats their boat is fine as long as they don't try to cram it down on me (like Roy Moore does). To each his own, live and let live, etc...

I don't think sticking a stick in the eye of the Palestinians/Arabs is all that helpful to US interests.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file