Who is your JMB?

BuffcoBuffco Senior MemberPosts: 9,618 Senior Member
We erudite gun owners have one John Moses Browning, peace be upon him, as our patron saint of firearms. Who fills that role for you water whippers?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Replies

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 2,070 Senior Member
    Its changed over time. But maybe Hemingway or Teddy Ballgame?
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 2,202 Senior Member
    I nominate Charles Cotton
    If we need to go more modern, I'd nominate Charles Orvis.
  • swizzswizz Senior Member Posts: 2,550 Senior Member
    Ted Williams' frozen head.
    All of your Trout are belong to me.
  • BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 1,793 Senior Member
    Robert Redford......aka Jeremiah Johnson

Patterned my life after

Definitely born in the wrong century......Think the Jenner thing will let me be accepting when the reaper taps my shoulder (Ya I'm a bad person---even as a leftie)
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 5,512 Senior Member
    I cannot hear or read Ted Williams' name without thinking of Sgt. Donny Donowitz.

"Fenway Park on its feet for Teddy ****in' Ballgame!"

The-Bear-Jew-Bat-2.jpg
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,682 Senior Member
    R. D. Hull for the win.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 1,793 Senior Member
    Buff...Browning??---I shoot Remington.....Can't say I'm not a little disappointed
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,258 Senior Member
    FishTX wrote: »
    R. D. Hull for the win.
    Stole my answer....
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 21,550 Senior Member
    James Cabela
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    Lefty Kreh?
    Johnny Norris?
    Ray Scott?
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 9,618 Senior Member
    Bushart wrote: »
    Buff...Browning??---I shoot Remington.....Can't say I'm not a little disappointed
    It's not about what I shoot. I shoot Remington too. But here's the reason he's St. John M. Browning.

Created the 1911 (still in use with law enforcement and military today) and Browning Hi-Power. The M2 heavy machine gun and it's cartridge, the .50 BMG (still in use with the military).

Many slide operated shotguns, the Colt Woodsman .22, several lever action Winchesters.. The man's designs can be seen all across the firearm spectrum and it's for all of this, he's been canonized as THE Saint of firearms.63ef09d39310c14863156ab0233072e1.jpg
    Just found out there's a "Little Red Book of Fly Fishing."

You know who else had a "Little Red Book?"
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 9,618 Senior Member

Ah hah!

As we can see from this thread, there is a lot of confusion and infighting within the water whipper community. They'll even argue about bugs.
    Eh...

Browning didn't really design the Hi Power. It was mainly Dieudonné Saive's work. Saive designed the magazine and really refined it. Browning's original design was striker-fired.
    Buffco wrote: »
    Ah hah!

As we can see from this thread, there is a lot of confusion and infighting within the water whipper community.

No, it's just I'm the only one with a clue.

I'm waiting for George to weigh in...he knew Charles Orvis.
    sherb wrote: »
    Its changed over time. But maybe Hemingway or Teddy Ballgame?

Given your predilections, I'm surprised you didn't go with G.E.M. Skues
  • CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 969 Senior Member
    I can say with 100% confidence that The Maclean brothers and their preaching dad ruined our sport for us.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 21,550 Senior Member

I bought my dad a Penick book for his birthday once.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    Dāngrán shì tóngzhi
    Steven wrote: »
    Given your predilections, I'm surprised you didn't go with G.E.M. Skues

I'll give you Joe Humphries, the nympher's nympher.

But If we are talking about nymphing's founding fathers, my nod would be Al Troth, inventor of the lowly American Style PT.
    Humphries isn't a bad pick at all. Maybe combined with his mentor, George Harvey, for all their books and what they did through the Penn State fly fishing curriculum?

Troth definitely goes in the fly tying hall of fame.

Art Flick for the Red Quill and The Streamside Guide?
    Buffco, notice you asked about an inventor and these guys are talking about authors?

Eggheads and nerds the whole lot of 'em. Only real American is FishTX...
    Supposedly, no sport has been written about more than fly fishing.

And Charles Orvis is the inventor of the modern fly reel...so there.
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,775 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    Supposedly, no sport has been written about more than fly fishing.

More than baseball?

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

• swizzswizz Senior Member Posts: 2,550 Senior Member
    Fishing is a "sport"?
    All of your Trout are belong to me.
  • Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 647 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    It's not about what I shoot. I shoot Remington too. But here's the reason he's St. John M. Browning.

Created the 1911 (still in use with law enforcement and military today) and Browning Hi-Power. The M2 heavy machine gun and it's cartridge, the .50 BMG (still in use with the military).

Many slide operated shotguns, the Colt Woodsman .22, several lever action Winchesters.. The man's designs can be seen all across the firearm spectrum and it's for all of this, he's been canonized as THE Saint of firearms.63ef09d39310c14863156ab0233072e1.jpg

Not, I believe, in use with the military anymore but I'd also add the Browning Automatic Rifle. Heavy, for sure, but a wicked puncher.

I'll second the nomination for my fellow Vermonter, Charles Orvis.
    The mechanism of the BAR was used, in part, as the basis of the FN MAG and the U.S. M240.
    More than baseball?

That's what I read. I figure baseball isn't played in Europe and is just a few centuries younger. Charles Cotton wrote the fly fishing section of the Compleat Angler in the late 1600s.
    The mechanism of the BAR was used, in part, as the basis of the FN MAG and the U.S. M240.

One of my noobs here in the office (a veteran of the Iraq war) told me that the SAW (M240) is being discontinued. Too bad.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file