That horrible liburl media

fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior MemberPosts: 21,580 Senior Member
'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

Replies

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,258 Senior Member
    I was wondering how long that would take to pop up. Hilarious but depressing.
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 2,099 Senior Member
    in their defense, the Declaration is a pretty radical document. Especially if one is seeing it for the first time. :)
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 21,580 Senior Member
    :D
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    I had someone the other day tell me that kids need to learn cursive so they can read the original Declaration of Independence. 2 thoughts went through my head....

1. We don't read the Biblical texts in Aramaic or Greek, either printed or in original text.
    2. I'm not sure most folks have read the Declaration of Independence. Or the Constitution, for that matter.
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,683 Senior Member
    The liberal's replies to the conservative anger is just as bad. Taken out of context, that snippet of the Declaration that fits in a tweet, can be confusing. How many of us have it all memorized? Know ever single sentence? I have read the whole document and cant recite it.

"For imposing Taxes on us without our Consent:" Sounds like a modern, conservative's talking point, doesn't it? This example is one I would not recognize without context. Might be Ted Cruz blathering.

I could forgive these people for ignorance of the Declaration. We are all ignorant about something. Often we are ignorant to degrees. For example, we all know something of the law. But how much we know varies from person to person. That is why we have a Sherb. Big deal if they don't know every single word of the Declaration. However what depresses me is their ignorance about liberals. Why did they call out NPR? Because NPR is an evil, liberal propaganda factory. At least that is what they think they "know" about NPR and those "un-American" liberals. So the jumped, **** near flew, to a conclusion.

On this board, we have liberals and conservatives. We don't call each other **** or un-American. We know each other to be good people while still being able to disagree. It these people complaining about NPR and liberals who made fun of them would get together, we might have a friendlier discourse. We will still disagree, but at least fewer of us won't be ******** about it.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
    I agree that coming into the middle of the tweets could be confusing. But... what happened to actually learning what the other side was talking about? Why not trace it back and see what lead up to that? Seems that's a failing of both sides: seeing and reacting instead of learning what's actually happening.
    Sorry but the true stupidity was in assuming that NPR (Public Radio) is biased against Trump. It becomes more stupid when you do nothing to confirm your paranoia before reacting. The problem is stupidity on the part of these tweeters period, no legitimate excuse can be made.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,197 Senior Member
    assuming that NPR (Public Radio) is biased against Trump.

You mean they aren't? Could of fooled me considering Trump wants to cancel their funding.
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 2,099 Senior Member
    Sorry but the true stupidity was in assuming that NPR (Public Radio) is biased against Trump.

Yeah, I don't think that's much of a stretch. NPR seems to embody upper middle-class liberalism to its core. But maybe I'm making that assumption based on the listeners rather than the content.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,197 Senior Member
    sherb wrote: »
    But maybe I'm making that assumption based on the listeners rather than the content.

From my experience with the majority of my friends who are liberal...your assumption is spot on.

With that said I listen to NPR every morning on my way to work and I'm more of a middle of the road guy...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 2,215 Senior Member
    Can I mention La Raza accented talk show hosts again? That was good for like 30 pages back in 2006.
    Yeah, I don't think that's much of a stretch. NPR seems to embody upper middle-class liberalism to its core. But maybe I'm making that assumption based on the listeners rather than the content.
    Someone I know once said that NPR tends to report the news in a pretty well-balanced style. But their analysis is more on the liberal side. I tend to agree with that assertion. And yes, I do listen to NPR. I actually like to listen to their analysis: gives me another take on things.
    Why not trace it back and see what lead up to that? Seems that's a failing of both sides: seeing and reacting instead of learning what's actually happening.
    We can apply this to a lot of issues. We all need to know where the other side is coming from if we wish to have an understanding of where they stand on issues. That understanding, in some cases, could help us work with each other.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
    Sorry but the true stupidity was in assuming that NPR (Public Radio) is biased against Trump.
    And the stupidity (also hate and fear) comes from the ignorance I was talking about. How many of us take the time to get to know people as individuals or organizations (NPR in this case) beyond political, religions or other talking points? We take snippets of information and misinformation and make assumptions about knowing the other side. Everybody does it. I am guilty too.

FishTX wrote: »
    We can apply this to a lot of issues. We all need to know where the other side is coming from if we wish to have an understanding of where they stand on issues. That understanding, in some cases, could help us work with each other.
    Agreed. Like I said, it seems that both sides do it. Which doesn't make it right. And incidentally, by "both sides" I mean any issue: East vs. West, Liberal vs. Conservative, Republican vs. Democrat (yes, there is a difference), North vs. South, AFC vs. NFC, etc...
    And the stupidity (also hate and fear) comes from the ignorance I was talking about. How many of us take the time to get to know people as individuals or organizations (NPR in this case) beyond political, religions or other talking points? We take snippets of information and misinformation and make assumptions about knowing the other side. Everybody does it. I am guilty too.
    Blame the internet.

No, really. And not exclusively, but it does have an effect. Seems there's more and more evidence, maybe even some data, that indicates that with the rise of the internet folks are losing their ability to research and process information. I'm sure I could look up some studies, but I need to go check Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram...
    From my experience with the majority of my friends who are liberal...your assumption is spot on.
    We have something in common.

No, really. And not exclusively, but it does have an effect. Seems there's more and more evidence, maybe even some data, that indicates that with the rise of the internet folks are losing their ability to research and process information.
    We can blame the internet, but the internet is a tool vastly easier than going to the library or buying a variety of newspapers and magazine. We have great tool and abuse it.

We have great tool and abuse it.
    We talking about Buffco or the interwebz?
    I thought Buffco ran the interwebz. He had foreign accent when I called about the ransomware.

• BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 9,629 Senior Member
    Blame the internet.

No, really. And not exclusively, but it does have an effect. Seems there's more and more evidence, maybe even some data, that indicates that with the rise of the internet folks are losing their ability to research and process information. I'm sure I could look up some studies, but I need to go check Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram...
    Anti-vaxxers.

Saw another post this week from a family member about some kid who died two days after receiving a vaccination. The post said, "Do your research people!"

By research they mean blogs and YouTube. Anything to do with the CDC, the govt, or science is not reliable. They have agendas, after all.

Sometimes I think what we need are a few thousand dead and dying kids from polio and measles. These stupid mouth breathers don't realize that it's MY kids immunity that keeps their own crotch fruit safe, not their stupid decision to not vaccinate, as God intended.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 9,629 Senior Member
    Oh the irony in that statement. Do your research.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    If you take our magic vitamins and drink our elixir ( available on our website), you don't need vaccinations.

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
    Buffco. Tell them to give me a call. I know a guy that knows a guy who can get a good deal on essential oils. And Carter's Little Liver Pills.

• ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    Oh, that guy, he's quite the guy..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 8,724 Senior Member
    ricinus wrote: »
    If you take our magic vitamins and drink our elixir ( available on our website), you don't need vaccinations.

Mike

You also need to spray the nippers with WD40, add various vinegars to their diet and make them wear copper and magnetic bracelets.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

I know educated people who want to listen to news that does not come through a corporate filter should not be trusted

FTR, not a listener.
    Buffco wrote: »
    Anti-vaxxers.

Saw another post this week from a family member about some kid who died two days after receiving a vaccination. The post said, "Do your research people!"

By research they mean blogs and YouTube. Anything to do with the CDC, the govt, or science is not reliable. They have agendas, after all.

Sometimes I think what we need are a few thousand dead and dying kids from polio and measles. These stupid mouth breathers don't realize that it's MY kids immunity that keeps their own crotch fruit safe, not their stupid decision to not vaccinate, as God intended.
    "There's a lot of information about that on the internet...."

Yeah, and a lot of it's bad...
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,905 Senior Member
    A cheaper way to doubt, I guess
    http://www.denverpost.com/2017/07/07/colorado-earth-flat-gravity-hoax/

"...Ptolemaic-science revivalists..."
  • WetdogWetdog Senior Member Posts: 5,125 Senior Member
    two things, The only vinegar added to my diet is Datu Puti white spiced vinegar and bias is seen as not being biased in one's own way.
    I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
    I find the willingness to give it up frightening.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file