Custer

ricinusricinus Senior MemberPosts: 6,214 Senior Member
On this day in 1876, George Armstrong Custer won a Darwin Award..

Mike
My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...

Comments

• BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 2,798 Senior Member
    ricinus wrote: »
    On this day in 1876, George Armstrong Custer won a Darwin Award..

Mike

OK........
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie just look at the flowers.
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,905 Senior Member
    Kinda like it.

custards1.jpg
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    Now I'm a mite peckish..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 1,535 Senior Member
    Being a history buff---I always wanted to visit Little Big Horn

And aside...

I also want to visit Montana and Idaho---I'm not sure --my imagination has it so beautiful --that I'm not sure reality will live up to---Maybe GoldenLadle can tell us how lucky he is:)
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,068 Senior Member
    Bushart wrote: »
    I also want to visit Montana and Idaho---I'm not sure --my imagination has it so beautiful --that I'm not sure reality will live up to---Maybe GoldenLadle can tell us how lucky he is:)

Montana IS beatiful. One of my favorite places in the U.S. I've been there a couple of times...

Smith05.jpg

BoulderRiverTrip2005102.jpg

BoulderRiverTrip2005081.jpg

RCT-7-14-07-08.jpg

RCT-7-16-07-12.jpg

Can you spot Goldie?

RCT-7-18-07-8.jpg

Part5-OldYellowstoneTrail7.jpg
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,754 Senior Member
    Bushart wrote: »
    Maybe GoldenLadle can tell us how lucky he is:)

Montana has proven to be somewhat unlucky for old Goldenladle. I do have great views, great rivers to fish although they're somewhat high right now. I live in a really screwy political place, filled with some really serious 2nd amendmenters. History wise, I live about 50 minutes from the Big Hole Battlefield which is near one of me favorite huge brookie creeks, and when I say huge brookies, I mean big!

I love this place.

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

• BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 9,571 Senior Member
    Found Goldie:

Untitled_zpsiyc0qddg.jpg
    Ha!

. . . .

• StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 1,912 Senior Member
    Montana has proven to be somewhat unlucky for old Goldenladle. I do have great views, great rivers to fish although they're somewhat high right now. I live in a really screwy political place, filled with some really serious 2nd amendmenters. History wise, I live about 50 minutes from the Big Hole Battlefield which is near one of me favorite huge brookie creeks, and when I say huge brookies, I mean big!

I love this place.

Feh. Those brookies belong back here...like you.
    I live in a really screwy political place, filled with some really serious 2nd amendmenters.

Why let that spoil all that is good in MT?

If I lived there, which I wish was possible, the political atmosphere there would be the last thing I would be concerned with.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 2,462 Senior Member
    I have this bad tendency to get totally immersed into the fishing and just fish till dark. I seem to forget all the important stuff that goes with getting back home safely. That works fine here where I’m very familiar with the enviro. It’s gotten me in trouble in Florida a time or two. Navigating an alligator infested, standing timber mash, at night, or getting stuck in the Keys back country on low tide after dark, aren’t on my list of things I ever want to do again. In locations like the ones pictured in this thread, I can see that I’d get in trouble here as well.
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,905 Senior Member

If I lived there, which I wish was possible, the political atmosphere there would be the last thing I would be concerned with.

Unless you had a family, a daughter, say, in need of an understanding social structure instead of a nasty judgemental one. Or you had kids in public schools getting a crummy education, and you wanted better. Or neighbors who thought your lack of church attendance and behavior was indicating an interest in satanic rituals and devil worship. Or you found out the local health facilities were sorely lacking when you needed them to be competent and up to date.
    creekguy wrote: »
    Unless you had a family, a daughter, say, in need of an understanding social structure instead of a nasty judgemental one. Or you had kids in public schools getting a crummy education, and you wanted better. Or neighbors who thought your lack of church attendance and behavior was indicating an interest in satanic rituals and devil worship. Or you found out the local health facilities were sorely lacking when you needed them to be competent and up to date.

Meh...extreme examples of things that aren't the norm.
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 2,462 Senior Member
    Meh...extreme examples of things that aren't the norm.

Well, it's no Illinois...
    MikeA wrote: »
    Well, it's no Illinois...

It ain't Iowa, that's for sure.
    Iowa - Illinois = same same. :p
  • CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 820 Senior Member
    The Bighorn Battlefield is not quite as pretty as the pics posted because it is more in the prairie part of the state, but it's still nice. Just don't go in August because it can be pretty hot and dry. Spring or early summer and that part of the state if green and nice.
  • Clark SalmoClark Salmo Member Posts: 46 Member
    Having been the the Battlefield and having a friend that lives very close, I wouldn't stroll around there this time of year. Lots of rattlers. They re-enact the battle every year and have had to cancel more than once because there were too many rattlesnakes that year.
    CO Native wrote: »
    The Bighorn Battlefield is not quite as pretty as the pics posted because it is more in the prairie part of the state, but it's still nice. Just don't go in August because it can be pretty hot and dry. Spring or early summer and that part of the state if green and nice.

This. I've been to the Bighorn, although it was now like 10 years or so ago - maybe longer. I don't remember the drive being all that pretty.
  • BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 1,535 Senior Member
    Was the Crazy Horse monument ever finished?.....Knowing I could just google it

I'm not going anywhere Joe, I love it here even with the pesky gun toting screwballs. I just watch what say it, if I say anything political it's about as diplomatic as I can get.

Steven, there isn't a brookie in Wisconsin that comes close to these guys except for the coasters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steven wrote: »
    This. I've been to the Bighorn, although it was now like 10 years or so ago - maybe longer. I don't remember the drive being all that pretty.

What? Wait... what?

Next time I'm over there I'll take some photos.

I misread, I saw Bighorn and thought Big hole. A world of difference.

• CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 820 Senior Member
    Montana and Colorado are very similar in that the West part of the state is beautiful and the furthest Eastern part is basically Kansas or North Dakota. It's pretty in its own way and has its thing, but not someplace you'd want to live.
    Next time I'm over there I'll take some photos.

Or you can find them online via google. ;)

I was there once also when I was fishing the Bighorn River. I agree with Steve...wasn't anything exciting or memorable to see.

The most exciting thing there, besides the fish and fishing, were watching 2 drunk Indians duking it out on the bank of the river while we were fishing. :eek:
    Or you can find them online via google. ;)

I was there once also when I was fishing the Bighorn River. I agree with Steve...wasn't anything exciting or memorable to see.

The most exciting thing there, besides the fish and fishing, were watching 2 drunk Indians duking it out on the bank of the river while we were fishing. :eek:

You're talking about the Bighorn, I'm talking about the Bighole, big difference. The Bighole is surounded by the Beaverhead/Deerlodge to the east and the Bitterroots to the west. Definitely more scenic than the Bighorn.

• BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 9,571 Senior Member

Gas station or wampum?
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 5,298 Senior Member
    I misread, I saw Bighorn and thought Big hole. A world of difference.

One is a river and one is Brian D's mom.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file