I think we should discuss this.

Comments

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,070 Senior Member
    Thought I had read one time that the gun was laying out on the seat next to him. Didn't the officer report seeing it laying there next to him?

Seems like Philando and Diamond were "outstanding" citiizens yes? Because nothing says "outstanding" citizen like sitting in car smoking weed with a 4 year old in the back seat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek0j9x_AhLc
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,756 Senior Member
    So uhhh....why was this guy carrying a gun within reach?

Because the NRA said he should. Because the 2nd amendment said he could. Because the Republican Party wants more guns to protect everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

ricinus wrote: »
    Be African American??
    FishTX wrote: »
    Just the bad luck of being black in America.

Silly statements.

So every person that's black gets pulled over 40-50 times in a 14 year span because of skin color. C'mon guys...
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    Do you call Black people African Canadians?

Is there a different name?.. I think I prefer ancestry over skin color, but that might be just me..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
    Silly statements.

So every person that's black gets pulled over 40-50 times in a 14 year span because of skin color. C'mon guys...

Are you REALLY sure these are silly??

Mike
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 8,371 Senior Member
    Bushart wrote: »
    Not round here---if your a citizen---your "Canadian" --don't matter really what shade you are

Not if you practice medicine in Mississauga and have brown teeth.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/40365931/woman-demands-white-doctor-in-canada-to-see-her-son-at-local-clinic
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
    George K wrote: »

Un-freakin'- believable eh..

Mike
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 1,639 Senior Member
    George K wrote: »

ha. I was waiting for this. I couldn't find a good setup. Kudos, 007.
  • SeaducerSeaducer Junior Member Posts: 25 Junior Member
    Trevor Noah has lived in the U.S. for 6 years and has said he has been pulled over by the cops 8 to 10 times.I guess he could just be a * up driver.
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,613 Senior Member
    Bushart wrote: »
    Not round here---if your a citizen---your "Canadian" --don't matter really what shade you are

They are more enlightened north of the boarder. We could take lessons.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 9,571 Senior Member
    FishTX wrote: »
    They are more enlightened north of the boarder. We could take lessons.
    Try telling African Americans that they shouldn't call themselves that. I agree with the sentiment but lots of them feel that just calling themselves American robs them of their culture.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Because the NRA said he should. Because the 2nd amendment said he could. Because the Republican Party wants more guns to protect everyone.

I'm still waiting for the definition of "within reach". And the fact that Castile was exercising his right to carry had nothing to do with his death.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 5,298 Senior Member
    CO Native wrote: »
    I'm betting that none of you would make it through the training.

Interesting. This must be a right-wing talking point. I've heard this a few times now from folks. I honestly don't get the point of making the comment. What exactly would I (or apparently a very large % of the population) fail at in their training? And for fairness let us assume that we applicants weren't all old and frail. Assuming we are in our mid-20's or younger like most other applicants what exactly would I fail at?
    So uhhh....why was this guy carrying a gun within reach anyway?

Because 'Merica! He learnt that from Charleton Heston himself!
    His license was revoked and reinstated numerous times.

I stand corrected. That is indeed reason enough for capital punishment.

My bad...
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    Because 'Merica! He learnt that from Charleton Heston himself!
    As an African American, Castile was much more likely to be the victim of violent crime than, say, me. Concealed carry laws were written specifically for people like him.

Shawn C. wrote: »
    I stand corrected. That is indeed reason enough for capital punishment.

My bad...
    Did I say somewhere in this thread that capital punishment was warranted?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,756 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    I'm still waiting for the definition of "within reach". And the fact that Castile was exercising his right to carry had nothing to do with his death.

First, you missed the sarcasm in my post. Nothing he did deserved what he got.

Within reach for me is my horizontal shoulder holster but being that it's summer, it's hard to conceal without putting it down my shorts, not exactly comfortable.

Putting it the glove compartment isn't exactly within reach.

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

First, you missed the sarcasm in my post. Nothing he did deserved what he got.

Within reach for me is my horizontal shoulder holster but being that it's summer, it's hard to conceal without putting it down my shorts, not exactly comfortable.

Putting it the glove compartment isn't exactly within reach.

I was mostly using your post to ask NZ what he meant by his confusion over "within reach". I don't know of any other way to carry.
    Did I say somewhere in this thread that capital punishment was warranted?

No, not directly. But you keep bringing up aspects of his character unrelated to the danger he may have presented. The relevant question is whether or not a reasonable person in the officers position would have felt justified to use deadly force. The fact that the guy smoked weed and had his license suspended doesn't have anything to do with that.
    You suggested we discuss this. So now I am and everyone is getting their undies in a bundle.

But I think it's safe to assume that the jury saw both sides of this case and made their decision with more info than anyone at The Lodge has been provided with. Or maybe it was was just some dam good lawyering?

And I don't think you can totally ignore the fact that the guy smoked weed and how it may have played a part in this case.

Gray said that autopsy results indicated Castile has high levels of THC in his blood, the chemical responsible for marijuana’s psychological effects, and was “stoned” while driving that day. The memo said Reynolds confirmed that the two were “smokers,” had marijuana in the car and had smoked marijuana before the stop that day.

I was mostly using your post to ask NZ what he meant by his confusion over "within reach". I don't know of any other way to carry.

My research indicates the gun was found in his pocket. What's wrong with putting it in the glove compartment? It's not as easily accessible that way.

http://www.startribune.com/the-latest-girlfriend-fear-led-her-to-livestream-shooting/426777761/
    Then you've missed the point of concealed carry entirely.

Then you've missed the point of concealed carry entirely.

Nope. I get it.

Just don't see the need for riding around in the car with a gun in the pocket.

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 21,204 Senior Member
    As an African American, Castile was much more likely to be the victim of violent crime than, say, me. Concealed carry laws were written specifically for people like him.

One of the first gun laws was written because of the fear of the Black Panthers.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    One of the first gun laws was written because of the fear of the Black Panthers.

Gun laws were racist in their origin. I'm all for Castile carrying.
    sherb wrote: »
    No, not directly. But you keep bringing up aspects of his character unrelated to the danger he may have presented. The relevant question is whether or not a reasonable person in the officers position would have felt justified to use deadly force. The fact that the guy smoked weed and had his license suspended doesn't have anything to do with that.

As I recall, it does not matter what a reasonable person would feel. All that matters is the officer felt he was in danger.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

But I think it's safe to assume that the jury saw both sides of this case and made their decision with more info than anyone at The Lodge has been provided with.

fair. The thing is, there's not usually much to a case like this. Some video, some testimony, and that's it.
    Or maybe it was was just some dam good lawyering?

That's my working theory. The Prosecutor got overmatched. But in his defense we know its **** hard to convict cops anywhere. All of these shootings have been acquittals or hung juries.
    And I don't think you can totally ignore the fact that the guy smoked weed and how it may have played a part in this case.

Actually I think I can, absent a showing of a link between THC and aggression. Which you won't have as a general matter and in this particular case I see little evidence of aggression. I think jurors, who are people a lot like you, are looking for a reason to walk the cop. Anything, even irrelevant information like the fact that Castile was high, would be a good enough reason, assuming his THC levels were admissible at trial. I don't even think it was racial since two black jurors also voted to acquit.
    You suggested we discuss this. So now I am and everyone is getting their undies in a bundle.

But I think it's safe to assume that the jury saw both sides of this case and made their decision with more info than anyone at The Lodge has been provided with. Or maybe it was was just some dam good lawyering?

Gray said that autopsy results indicated Castile has high levels of THC in his blood, the chemical responsible for marijuana’s psychological effects, and was “stoned” while driving that day. The memo said Reynolds confirmed that the two were “smokers,” had marijuana in the car and had smoked marijuana before the stop that day.

THC stays in your system, there is no way to determine if he was high at the time.
    As I recall, it does not matter what a reasonable person would feel. All that matters is the officer felt he was in danger.

Here's a typical instruction. In fact, this was the instruction given in the Slager case in South Carolina.

The defendant does not have to show that he was actually in danger. It is enough if the defendant believed he was in imminent danger and a reasonably prudent person of ordinary firmness and courage would have had the same belief. The defendant has the right to act on appearances even though the defendant’s beliefs may have been mistaken. It is for you to decide whether the defendant’s fear of immediate danger of death or serious bodily injury was reasonable and would have been felt by an ordinary person in the same situation.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file