Guys , post something

sherbsherb Senior MemberPosts: 1,628 Senior Member
I'm at a conference and could use the diversion.

I thought perhaps Eugene would provide an anthropological deep dive, but he appears to have been a flash in the pan.

Comments

• CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 821 Senior Member
    Friday's fishing was outstanding. Cloudy, no wind, and a great hatch for almost 4 hours. It was an epic dry fly day out of the float tube. Hundreds of takes, many misses, many LDR's, but even with that I got dozens of large fish to the net.
    Wish you were there.
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 1,628 Senior Member
    I wish I was too Gary
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 9,571 Senior Member
    I have a 4 week old piglet down with something. Laying on it's side and kicking but can't stand. Of course it chose to go down at the far end of the pen and was covered in grey slimy pig ****.

I wrapped her up in a feed sack and drove her back to the house. Got pig **** all over my shirt and my truck. The twins were bouncing up and down in the back seat, complaining about the smell. I thought about shooting the boys and the hog. Got home, injected her with iron and penicillin, used a bulb syringe to force an egg yolk down her throat and washed her with some warm water and Dawn dish detergent. Put her in a box in my shop.

I checked on her this morning and she had flopped enough to knock the box over and was floundering around in the shop. The entire shop stank like rancid sour milk and ****. The wife just texted and asked about the pig. Told her it was wandering around, maybe standing a little better. She texted back in all caps, "I HAVE STUFF IN THAT SHOP!" So, I'm probably in trouble when I get home. Got to figure out how much this pig just cost me in "stuff" that the wife doesn't even need, but I'll have to replace.

TLDR: Living the good life.
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 1,912 Senior Member
    The redneck just went right out of me.
    Steven wrote: »
    The redneck just went right out of me.

There's nothing like nurturing a helpless animal, man. Watching it overcome it's illness or injury, scratching it's head as it oinks in utter contentment while you feed it, and then putting a bullet right in it's brain pan and serving up that delicious pork.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    I can see Buff in his golden years wearing bright red suspenders and riding around town on a lawn tractor ..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
    Buffco wrote: »
    There's nothing like nurturing a helpless animal, man. Watching it overcome it's illness or injury, scratching it's head as it oinks in utter contentment while you feed it, and then putting a bullet right in it's brain pan and serving up that delicious pork.

It's like giving health care to a guy on death row.
    Steven wrote: »
    It's like giving health care to a guy on death row.

Now THAT is ridiculous. Unless you're going to eat the guy and have an interest in his well being.
  • CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 821 Senior Member

Haha - My 4H project was a pig named Rosy. Rosy followed me around the farm like a puppy. We didn't win **** and she ended up in the freezer. That would cause most people today to stop eating bacon.
    savage AF.
    The kids always end up naming the bacon, usually with princess names. Sorry kids.
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,905 Senior Member
    Really, I am unable to discuss anything here because it would invade on the prerogative of the President to invoke executive privilege on that matter.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 5,298 Senior Member
    You gentlemen farmers sure have the life!

I'm starting to look for some streams that won't be blown out the first week and half of July for the annual out-of-state fishing/camping pilgrimage. The Henry's Fork is our fall back option if it continue to look like everything else is Class IV whitewater.
    sherb wrote: »
    The kids always end up naming the bacon, usually with princess names. Sorry kids.
    Aurora tastes delicious.
    I know when I harvested Peter Peas and Ricky Radish I was so sad. They were like family..

Mike
  • Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 613 Senior Member
    Growing up there was a time when we kept a couple of beef cows. Bucky and Radar. They ended up in the freezer.

Used to keep chickens and guinea hens too. The chickens could be pretty hard on each other.

Relatedly, the news from Washington never ceases to amaze me. Trump might fire Mueller? Wow. Mueller hasn't even done anything yet. Trump is also saying that the House passed health care bill is too harsh. He's right, but if that is the way he feels it makes you wonder why he wants to repeal Obamacare in the first place.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,068 Senior Member
    After having some Epic fishing the past 2 weeks in a row the March Browns and Drakes just started to show up and then we got pounded with rain for 2 days straight with more on the way the next few days.

My home stream isn't going to be fishable until July the way things are going.

Sherb...do you have some fishable water by you?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Sherb...do you have some fishable water by you?

Not much. The Owyhee is fishable right now. Otherwise, no.
    We're in peak runoff right now on all of the freestone rivers.. Some spring fed creeks were clear but they have dirtied up with all the rain we're getting.. Mainly stillwater fishing which is good right now..

Mike
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 2,462 Senior Member
    sherb wrote: »
    I'm at a conference and could use the diversion.

I thought perhaps Eugene would provide an anthropological deep dive, but he appears to have been a flash in the pan.

Just Your Average UK Pub...
    ...at 12pm on a Wednesday.
    Still at the conference?

I have a question for the group that I have never found a clear answer on.

So, when you purchase a brand new knotless leader and affix it to your fly line do you immediately put an extra;length of tippet material? Comic does this (I think) but I've never read where you are supposed to do this or not. I don't. If I attach a new 9' 5X I just fish it and then add on new 5X tippet material after a few flies.
    This is for dry fly fishing of course. I'm not a savage.
    Also, anyone fish with a Royal Wulff Triangle Taper line? I've always read good things and I'm thinking of getting one for my 5-weight.
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    Also, anyone fish with a Royal Wulff Triangle Taper line? I've always read good things and I'm thinking of getting one for my 5-weight.

I used one with a 4 wt bamboo and it was great for roll casts, it loaded the rod well but not sure it was any better than a WF or DT line.
    I should add my distance casting sucks..

Mike
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    Still at the conference?

I have a question for the group that I have never found a clear answer on.

So, when you purchase a brand new knotless leader and affix it to your fly line do you immediately put an extra;length of tippet material? Comic does this (I think) but I've never read where you are supposed to do this or not. I don't. If I attach a new 9' 5X I just fish it and then add on new 5X tippet material after a few flies.
    This is for dry fly fishing of course. I'm not a savage.

Do you use tippet rings? Not that there's anything wrong that..

Mike
    Post something? Now HERE'S something:

nickiminajmoscatoshoot1.jpg
  • BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 1,535 Senior Member
    L'il too muscular in the thigh region there Buff...careful man...may snap yer neck
    Update: the little gilt didn't make it. Some sort of wasting disease. Tried to save her, but had to put her down.
    Update: the little gilt didn't make it. Some sort of wasting disease. Tried to save her, but had to put her down.

Hopefully not infectious, eh..

Mike
    That is too bad, Buffy.

Thanks for the feedback, Mike. The Wulff lines are actually a couple of bucks cheaper than other top-end lines from SA, Orvis, Rio, etc. **** those things are all so expensive though!
    ricinus wrote: »
    Hopefully not infectious, eh..

Mike

I don't think so. She was one of two runts out of a litter of 14. Not really surprised. They all get exposed to the same bacteria, and most of them have healthy enough immune systems to fight it off. I've lost one pig to this same thing before. Usually if they make it to about 8 weeks, they'll be fine.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file