MT Congressional Candidate Assaults Reporter

Comments

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,068 Senior Member

Since when is it ok to get assaulted for just doing your job?

One of my friends works for the local electric company. Part of his job entails turning off the power for those that don't pay their bill which also involves going to their house and informing them of this and doing the disconnections at the meter.

He gets assaulted quite often by the homeowners for doing his job. Both verbally and physically.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 1,627 Senior Member
    One of my friends works for the local electric company. Part of his job entails turning off the power for those that don't pay their bill which also involves going to their house and informing them of this and doing the disconnections at the meter.

He gets assaulted quite often by the homeowners for doing his job. Both verbally and physically.

I'll bet. that would suck. I hope he's well-compensated for it.
    Gianforte has raised over $100K in 24 hours.

I guess there really is no such thing as bad publicity.
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,754 Senior Member

So, what, this little story makes it ok to assault others because you disagree about something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

I think it's pathetic that people are coming out of the woodwork since President Intellect was elected that think kicking somebody's **** because you disagree with them is quite alright. Gianforte' behavior was unconscionable and has no place in politics or any place else.

A couple of random thoughts, in no particular order of importance.

1. Gianforte shouldn't have touched that reporter.
    2. Answering annoying questions is what people who hold elective office are required to do.
    3. The outrage is way out of proportion to the actual offense
    4. A campaign for elected office is stressful and at the end of it (like today) people are at their breaking point.
    5. There is apparently no issue that is beyond partisanship.
    6. Gianforte may be the most unpopular person on social media, but that doesn't make him unpopular generally. Plenty of people won't have an issue with it.
    6. Somebody do it to Sean Hannity now.
    To be honest, last night when I first heard about what happened I really didn't care too much and wrote it off as the usual **** surrounding journalism and politics as they exist today. It wasn't until I went to vote and over heard a small group of people standing outside the entrance to vote saying the reporter deserves worse.

This country is seriously dysfunctional right now and I see absolutely no effort on the part of the controlling party to try and bring the divided, together.

so a bunch of people want Gianforte to apologize, but I think given the lateness of the hour and the fact that criminal charges are pending, he won't. Maybe after he wins.
    I think it should have been an easy seat to hold, but Gianforte is on the wrong side of stream access*, and that's going to hurt him more than roughing up a reporter.

*that's pretty much the outer limits of what I know about MT politics.
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 1,912 Senior Member
    Can we discuss the reporters rudeness? I mean, do you get a free pass to be an absolutely rude **** because you have a press card?

Jacobs bursts in; interrupts an interview with other press; shoves a microphone in the guy's face; is told to wait; refuses; is told to talk to the press secretary; refuses; and then gets leg tripped, mounted, and yelled at.

How is he any different from paparazzi? Nobody gives a **** if Sean Penn beats the **** out of one of those guys.
    He (Gianforte) is in the wrong side of access to public assets. He is on the wrong side of the "give public land to the states" gambit. He has a bad temper and while he hasn't assaulted anyone before, he has had enthusiastic words with reporters before. He lost his run for gov. To a democrat in a state that elected Trump by 21 points.

• BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 1,535 Senior Member
    To be honest, last night when I first heard about what happened I really didn't care too much and wrote it off as the usual **** surrounding journalism and politics as they exist today. It wasn't until I went to vote and over heard a small group of people standing outside the entrance to vote saying the reporter deserves worse.

This country is seriously dysfunctional right now and I see absolutely no effort on the part of the controlling party to try and bring the divided, together.

Uber partisanship is a course they All take---You VS Me---Remember "I could shoot a guy on 5th Ave and get away with it"

Unfortunately this is not specific to the US----Power and Greed picked up on this for some time worldwide---The last clown we had here was a good student of that class

There needs to be a huge shift in thinking and tolerance to move fwd.
    Steven wrote: »
    Can we discuss the reporters rudeness? I mean, do you get a free pass to be an absolutely rude **** because you have a press card?

Oh, I thought the reporter was an officious prick, but that doesn't give Gianforte free reign to handle as needed. A campaign is a stress test, and the test is simple: can you, day after day, in response to every **** reporter, issue some bland inoffensive campaign boilerplate? If you can't, look for a different line of work.

Simple, but not easy.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 5,298 Senior Member
    CO Native wrote: »
    This is what's wrong with our world today. In Sparta Ben Jacobs would have been punted as a baby. In today's society the weak, ugly and sickly reproduce which creates a product like Ben Jacobs and he's even allowed to reproduce.
    We need more Sparta!!

Good news! Your application to the SA has been accepted. What size brown shirt should we order for you?
    Bushart wrote: »

There needs to be a huge shift in thinking and tolerance to move fwd.

Yeah, but it can't be shoved down people's throats. The Dems need to lay off the identify politics. Look, the "bathroom bill" controversy in NC and now TX is deplorable policy, but why not let them just suffer for it? Look how much money NC lost. I tend to think that the future of the western world marches on inexorably towards tolerance, inclusion and secularism. Bumps along this slow road are to be expected. We don't need to prod it along with such vigor. All that does is get the people who are angry about the loss of traditional values (whatever the hell that even means) all riled up and ready to fight.
    Sometimes I wonder if the liberals are playing right into the hands of the conservatives when it comes to these things.
    All of their faux outrage over what amounts to a shoving match is definitely playing into the hands of the opposition.

Look, Gianforte lost his ****, was investigated and cited for the incident. It's not exactly civilization-ending, no matter what the more hysterical out there might say.
  • BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 1,535 Senior Member
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    Yeah, but it can't be shoved down people's throats. The Dems need to lay off the identify politics. Look, the "bathroom bill" controversy in NC and now TX is deplorable policy, but why not let them just suffer for it? Look how much money NC lost. I tend to think that the future of the western world marches on inexorably towards tolerance, inclusion and secularism. Bumps along this slow road are to be expected. We don't need to prod it along with such vigor. All that does is get the people who are angry about the loss of traditional values (whatever the hell that even means) all riled up and ready to fight.
    Sometimes I wonder if the liberals are playing right into the hands of the conservatives when it comes to these things.

Dude...It's beyond a special interest bathroom bill----You need to get tolerant of repubs and vice versa---it's that base line---worry about saving alien abductees after ya get along with your next door neighbor
    Yeah, its interesting. Generally everyone gets along until the subjects of politics or religion come up.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 2,798 Senior Member
    I have no sympathy for those scum sucking attention **** looking to sensationalize on others misfortune or create some **** story.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie just look at the flowers.
    So, what, this little story makes it ok to assault others because you disagree about something?

I just answered your question.

sherb wrote: »
    6. Gianforte may be the most unpopular person on social media, but that doesn't make him unpopular generally. Plenty of people won't have an issue with it.

I'm thinking there aren't many snowflakes in MT.

Thank the last guy for the divisiveness in this country?

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 8,365 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »

Jacobs bursts in; interrupts an interview with other press; shoves a microphone in the guy's face; is told to wait; refuses; is told to talk to the press secretary; refuses; and then gets leg tripped, mounted, and yelled at.

How is he any different from paparazzi? Nobody gives a **** if Sean Penn beats the **** out of one of those guys.

Er, did you listen to the audio? It doesn't exactly tally with your description of events. Neither does the eye witness account.

edit - BTW - There was no other interview in progress. One setting up, perhaps, but not in progress.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
    Oh, I thought the reporter was an officious prick, but that doesn't give Gianforte free reign to handle as needed. A campaign is a stress test, and the test is simple: can you, day after day, in response to every **** reporter, issue some bland inoffensive campaign boilerplate? If you can't, look for a different line of work.

Simple, but not easy.

Same question I asked Steven - did you listen to the audio?
    Buford wrote: »
    I have no sympathy for those scum sucking attention **** looking to sensationalize on others misfortune or create some **** story.

Are you trying to hijack this thread? It's not about Trump's claims that the Russia story is a witch hunt.
    George K wrote: »
    Are you trying to hijack this thread? It's not about Trump's claims that the Russia story is a witch hunt.

Not at all, just reporters in general.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie just look at the flowers.
    A hard-fought slug-fest of a campaign comes to an end with a Republican victory.

I don't buy this. There's a limit.
    George K wrote: »
    Er, did you listen to the audio? It doesn't exactly tally with your description of events. Neither does the eye witness account.

edit - BTW - There was no other interview in progress. One setting up, perhaps, but not in progress.

It pretty much does, or maybe the Fox reporter is changing her story again.
    We also have no idea when the audio starts relative to what was going on.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file