Comments

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 8,371 Senior Member
    Unless Omro, WI is in the third world it's hard to image a stampede of qualified applicants, snowflakes or otherwise, willing to work for the wage offered. Here in my rural PA area convenience store clerks start at $10 plus benefits.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,070 Senior Member
    $9-$15 an hour is living high on the hog in most small towns in WI including the town I live in.

The majority of factories in my town pay that wage.

Convenience store clerks/fast food workers here are at minimum wage and no benefits. Benefits are only offered to people in a managerial position at those places.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    "that understands their place".. Don't want no uppity folks here..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,905 Senior Member
    yep, couldn't get away with "understand their place..." in a big city ad. But the country is moving towards the day when Snowflakes are a protected class, and the ad would be doubly illegal.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 21,204 Senior Member
    No Snowflakes Please

Well that excludes you.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 825 Senior Member
    ricinus wrote: »
    "that understands their place".. Don't want no uppity folks here..

Mike

I understand exactly what that means. Was at Safeway in a big snowstorm last year. Poor assistant manager told a young girl bagging to grab her coat and collect buggies as they were almost all out. She says "but it's cold out and I don't want to because it will ruin my shoes".
    His reply was classic - "well I hope you don't ruin your shoes looking for another job".
    We clapped, she cried and headed out to get carts.

She didn't understand her place, but was put there rather quickly.
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,905 Senior Member
    The wording is a bad sign. The writer seems to expect a problem worker to show up. The boss will alienate the worker and the worker will get a bad attitude.
    CO Native wrote: »
    . She says "but it's cold out and I don't want to because it will ruin my shoes".

Classic snowflake right there.

His reply was classic - "well I hope you don't ruin your shoes looking for another job".

Spectacular.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 9,571 Senior Member

Spectacular.

No, **** boss. A leader would have said, "well let's go together." Then explained to her to bring a different set of clothes and also how that wording she used could be detrimental in a job setting.
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,613 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    No, **** boss. A leader would have said, "well let's go together." Then explained to her to bring a different set of clothes and also how that wording she used could be detrimental in a job setting.

^^^this^^^
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
    She was probably wearing heels because she was told to when hired..:rolleyes:

Mike
  • BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 1,549 Senior Member
    I understand exactly what that means. Was at Safeway in a big snowstorm last year. Poor assistant manager told a young girl bagging to grab her coat and collect buggies as they were almost all out. She says "but it's cold out and I don't want to because it will ruin my shoes".
    We clapped, she cried and headed out to get carts.

She didn't understand her place, but was put there rather quickly.

OK little intro

In my life I've been a grunt.....I've been a tradesman (Licensed)--I've been a non-union foreman in trades---I've been a union tradesman----I've been a management supervisor--- for large industrial settings in the trades dept.

What I can say is...this was handled so terribly wrong---you can get the job done and not be an **** and belittle your team---something like this could scar a young person---unacceptable!!!

How do you know she was not hired under the premise of indoor work and dressed accordingly---then put on the spot--broke down

The idiot manager needs some coaching or a new career
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 5,298 Senior Member
    Classic snowflake right there.

Spectacular.

Yeah... no...

The absolute first thing I was taught as an NCO is always to praise in public and to admonish in private. It is the golden rule of being a good supervisor of people.
    I guess some like to cater to the snowflakes.

I worked a few jobs where I was given that type of treatment. It only strengthened my desire to obtain a college degree so I didn't get stuck working a **** job the rest of my life.

Suck it up and move on. Your mileage may vary.

• BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 1,549 Senior Member
    Some people may only have the option of this kind of job for varying reasons

Making them fearful for their livelihood is akin to torture---do this or else----is not the way we help people grow into all they can be and be an asset to a company

We need to look past our own placements in life and put ourselves in other's shoes---no one is saying--yeah lets let dope smoker sleep all shift---but you can bring out the best in people with simple courtesy and explaining direction with respect
    creekguy wrote: »
    The wording is a bad sign. The writer seems to expect a problem worker to show up. The boss will alienate the worker and the worker will get a bad attitude.

I hope he never finds someone to work for such a lump of **** and is forced to do the job himself and then he may learn to value the people he means to hire.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    Bushart wrote: »
    Some people may only have the option of this kind of job for varying reasons

Making them fearful for their livelihood is akin to torture---do this or else----is not the way we help people grow into all they can be and be an asset to a company

We need to look past our own placements in life and put ourselves in other's shoes---no one is saying--yeah lets let dope smoker sleep all shift---but you can bring out the best in people with simple courtesy and explaining direction with respect
    I get what you're saying. But that story (what CO Native shared) is the world I grew up in. As did most of my friends and co-workers at the time. Nobody is worse off because of it.

I get what you're saying. But that story (what CO Native shared) is the world I grew up in. As did most of my friends and co-workers at the time. Nobody is worse off because of it.

Some would not agree.
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 1,918 Senior Member
    I hope he never finds someone to work for such a lump of **** and is forced to do the job himself and then he may learn to value the people he means to hire.

This is probably shocking, but he probably did do the job himself when he was younger.
  • CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 825 Senior Member
    First off, every kid hired at Safeway is told of every aspect of the job. They know they must collect carts in all weather. So all of that blather of explaining to her and helping here is BS.
    If she did her job when told to do her job, she wouldn't have had any of this happen, but she thought she was "above" that part of the job.
    Funny how my kid was a buggy **** at Safeway for just short of 2 years in high school and he never had anything like this happen to him. Why? Because he did what he was told.

All you people that think this is wrong, and to harsh, are what's wrong with this society today. Kids need to learn early that there are consequences for their actions. This is not being learned by today's youth.
    George K wrote: »
    Some would not agree.
    Snowflakes wouldn't for sure.

First off, every kid hired at Safeway is told of every aspect of the job. They know they must collect carts in all weather. So all of that blather of explaining to her and helping here is BS.
    If she did her job when told to do her job, she wouldn't have had any of this happen, but she thought she was "above" that part of the job.
    Funny how my kid was a buggy **** at Safeway for just short of 2 years in high school and he never had anything like this happen to him. Why? Because he did what he was told.

All you people that think this is wrong, and to harsh, are what's wrong with this society today. Kids need to learn early that there are consequences for their actions. This is not being learned by today's youth.
    ^^^This.

Which is why we have a high percentage of young adult pansies these days.

There was probably a legitimate reason that dental agency posted the help wanted ad as they did.. Probably due to experiences with past employees.

• BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 9,571 Senior Member

Shawn just posted that the military taught him not to humiliate in public. Are our military non-coms and officers being taught by snowflakes?

I know it's all masturbatory to celebrate a good old public chewing out, and while I agree the girl needed to be taught, the manager is still an ****. She learned nothing from that experience at all. He's not a leader, whatsoever. There's a HUGE difference between being a leader and being a boss/manager.
    ^^^This.

Which is why we have a high percentage of young adult pansies these days.

There was probably a legitimate reason that dental agency posted the help wanted ad as they did.. Probably due to experiences with past employees.

Or the guy is just an a$$hole..

Mike
  • Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 614 Senior Member
    Shawn just posted that the military taught him not to humiliate in public. Are our military non-coms and officers being taught by snowflakes?

I know it's all masturbatory to celebrate a good old public chewing out, and while I agree the girl needed to be taught, the manager is still an ****. She learned nothing from that experience at all. He's not a leader, whatsoever. There's a HUGE difference between being a leader and being a boss/manager.

Exactly. Treating others with harsh sarcasm may make one (and observers) feel good, but more often than not it is really just taking the easy way out and reflective of weakness on the part of the person being harsh and sarcastic.

Not snowflakes, but those who understand that youthful experience shapes the adult we become.

The best example is child abuse and child sexual molestation: those who commit those crimes are likely to have been victims of them in their own childhood.

In a non-criminal and much more general sense those who grew-up in a secure, fair and loving environment are likely to be secure adults who treat others fairly. Those who grew-up in an emotionally cruel and harsh environment are likely to be insecure as adults, and take out their insecurities on others. The dentist, the supermarket manager and The Donald are good candidates for the latter. In the President's case what we know of how he was raised bears this out, for the we others we can only speculate.
    Steven wrote: »
    This is probably shocking, but he probably did do the job himself when he was younger.

Doubt it, because he wouldn't be such an **** about it.

Other than the what's wrong with society ****, I actually agree with some of this. She knew the job was dangerous when she took it. The supervisor is also an **** and were I his boss, we would talk.

A successful manager gets their people to do the job without publicly humiliating them. This guy is probably an example of the Peter Principle. In my new role as a supervisor, I am actually measured by attrition.
    I'm not saying she doesn't deserve a tune-up, just it was handled in the worse possible way.

Mike

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file