Etiquette

I hope I'm not writing about Flytrap...

I went fishing, spur of the moment, on Saturday in SWW. We're picking up a new puppy this Friday so my season is officially over (it ends last Sunday of September anyway).

This is a 4 1/2 hr drive, one way.

I pull in at bridge access at my favorite stream and work my way upstream (the side of the bridge I parked on as well to notify people which way I went), not fishing initially, because of too many trees but after about 15 minutes, come out in the open. I begin to fish upstream...the fish are hitting my beetle; all is right with the world.

After about an hour, I see two guys come up from behind me (I'm not sure they saw me). I call out to the older gentleman, "Hey, I'm here. Can you make sure you give me some room?" The guy sees me and says, "Yeah. Yeah." Then the two of them proceed to fish the next bend, literally 15 minutes of fishing from where I am. This is a big stream area. Probably about a mile between bridge accesses (no access in between) and probably 2 to 3 miles in actual fishing area because of all the bends. It takes me 7 hours to fish from one end to the other, and I've been told by guides that I really move.

Anyway, I can actually see these guys rods and lines. I'm getting progressively more pissed at the thought I'm going to have to either follow them or play leap frog. Getting out and going some place else wasn't an option with my limited time.

These guys get out of the water. The younger guy looks at me and I say (didn't yell or scream), "Dude, this isn't cool."
Guy: We have a right to fish here too.
Me: Of course, you do. But you came up from behind me. You saw my truck parked upstream on such-and-such road.
Guy: No we didn't, we got in upstream and walked down.
Me: Fine. But you guys saw me fishing and you got in at the very next bend. Dude, that's not cool.
Guy: What are we supposed to do?
Me: Give me space. Give me 500 yards. Not cool.
Guy: **** [/walks off].

To their credit, they didn't seem to impinge on my fishing the rest of the day, and I only saw them once more - late afternoon. Fishing slowed in early evening - maybe I was fishing where they had just fished. It was an excellent day overall, but I did stew on and off all day about the encounter.

Was I wrong?

Comments

• BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 9,571 Senior Member
    You should've snapped your pole across your knees and achieved your final form. Then went Super Saiyan on those ****.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    I guess it depends on the river. Some places, 100 yards is a lot, others 500 seems barely enough. Nowadays playing leap frog with someone is the norm.

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • Remember Mike,

They may have walked down three quarters of a mile just to fish in front of me. This isn't some urban fishery we're talking about.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,068 Senior Member
    I have had the same happen to me numerous times. I either follow or leap frog. Doesn't bother me anymore like it used to. I find I can easily catch fish from spots where others have been through already.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    Very true Steven, and I definitely feel for you. I guess it depends on your expectations of solitude on a given river. If you feel you were being crowded then your reaction is justified.

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • Joe K. wrote: »
    I have had the same happen to me numerous times. I either follow or leap frog. Doesn't bother me anymore like it used to. I find I can easily catch fish from spots where others have been through already.

You obviously fish more than I do. I think this is the second time it's happened, but the first time was kind of a run and gun on the improved area of Camp Creek. Guy came in, fished a hole, and left.
    One day I hope to see Steven fishing the same hole as me. But I'll be using a bait caster with 1/2 oz pyramid sinkers that create a geyser when the hit the water. And I'll sneer at his silly flies and tell him any real fisherman uses worms.

Then spit tobacco juice.
  • You'll be the Ginger in the wife beater, right?
    Yup. I'll even loan you some worms, I'm not stingy.
  • I swear by maggots.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,068 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    I swear by maggots.

Fishing below a dead deer, laying in the river, with a maggot pattern can be productive.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk 2
  • White hare's ear.

I'd buy maggots for the kids to fish with down on the southside when they were little. The tiny shop we'd go to called them "bee moth worms."
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,754 Senior Member
    Joe K. wrote: »

Hoover! I'm the same way, as long as they aren't fishing the same hole as me I'm good.

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

• ouzelproouzelpro Senior Member Posts: 5,361 Senior Member
    You would love the San Juan on a weekend. (shameless troll)
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 8,359 Senior Member
    ouzelpro wrote: »
    You would love the San Juan on a weekend. (shameless troll)

Or one of the better known Great Lakes steelhead creeks.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • swiperswiper Senior Member Posts: 395 Senior Member
    500 yards? ROFL. You've never fished in the East. Guys on the Salmon River in Pulaski, NY are literally shoulder-to-shoulder in some spots. 500 yards? ROFL. Did you really say 500 yards?
  • Bubba FinghasBubba Finghas Senior Member Posts: 145 Senior Member
    mikgaes wrote: »
    500 yards? ROFL. You've never fished in the East. Guys on the Salmon River in Pulaski, NY are literally shoulder-to-shoulder in some spots. 500 yards? ROFL. Did you really say 500 yards?

This statement should be for ANY of the rivers and or streams , I fish through out from Maine to Cleveland and south to DC... Seems the NE fisherman have issues about being alone.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file