Debating Guns Free zones

flytrapflytrap BannedPosts: 1,659 Senior Member
A couple of minor technical points first, they are not Guns Free, but Weapons Free, zones, since knives, etc. are also included.

The Chattanooga shooter was technically outside the zone, shooting into it. He MAY have been legally carrying - outside the zone.

But since Guns Free is the popular term we'll use it for clarity.

The Chattanooga shootings re-enforce the stance that all the GF zone did is prevent the victims from defending themselves. Armed, they could have responded.

If anyone were unhinged enough (and Comic may assert I already am unhinged, lol) enough to commit mass murder for whatever reason, politics, religion, moral (as in abortion clinic shootings) does anyone really think the shooter would be dissuaded by a sign that weapons are prohibited? Hell, that only encourages him in the knowledge they can't fight back. It's the old saw validated, when guns are outlawed only criminals will have guns, and then they will become rampant.

Obviously, I strongly support the 2nd Amendment, but no, I am not in the NRA and would support some gun control were I not afraid it would be the start of a slippery slope. I DON'T want guns in the hands of the mentally ill or felons, and I don't think anyone really needs full automatic for sporting purposes, I wish the laws already on the books were better enforced.
There are worse things in life than being a born cynic.

Replies

• CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 945 Senior Member
    flytrap wrote: »

Obviously, I strongly support the 2nd Amendment, but no, I am not in the NRA and would support some gun control were I not afraid it would be the start of a slippery slope. I DON'T want guns in the hands of the mentally ill or felons, and I don't think anyone really needs full automatic for sporting purposes, I wish the laws already on the books were better enforced.

Exactly!
    Gun free zones are a joke. According to our CC laws, I can carry my firearm anywhere except where the state says a I can't (schools, government buildings etc.). A sticker in a window of a private business is nothing but a joke.
  • flytrapflytrap Banned Posts: 1,659 Senior Member
    Whichever mod deleted the double post, thank you.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 21,412 Senior Member
    CO Native wrote: »
    Exactly!
    Gun free zones are a joke. According to our CC laws, I can carry my firearm anywhere except where the state says a I can't (schools, government buildings etc.). A sticker in a window of a private business is nothing but a joke.

You do get that a recruiting office is a government building, right?

To me a gun free zone should work like this, some people here will have guns, if you walk in here with one we will shoot you dead, no questions asked.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

The Chattanooga shootings re-enforce the stance that all the GF zone did is prevent the victims from defending themselves. Armed, they could have responded.

Not even remotely realistic. It was a drive by shooting, not the gunfight at the OK Corral. Gang members are always armed and yet they are murdered everyday without being given the opportunity to fight back. I think some gun folks believe the world operates like a western.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    You do get that a recruiting office is a government building, right?

It's not ALL government buildings, only ones that are subject to federal or state law. I don't know if recruiting offices fall under that or not.
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/colorado.pdf
    Any way, walk into a gun free zone with a gun and you get shot, that would make them effective.
  • swizzswizz Senior Member Posts: 2,550 Senior Member
    Iffin I was a robber, I'd move to a gun free zone.
    All of your Trout are belong to me.
    Any way, walk into a gun free zone with a gun and you get shot, that would make them effective.

Let's see, we got a gunman that just got charged with 165 counts and he'll be kicking for years to come. Make it law that if a gun is used in a crime there is no appeal, just the death penalty to be carried out within 30 days. That would help too, but it will never happen.
    Yeah because it is called the criminal justice system not the criminal vengeance system. People should have the right to appeal a decision especially when the penalty is the ultimate one.
    swizz wrote: »
    Iffin I was a robber, I'd move to a gun free zone.

Even if you knew you were going to get shot for walking in the door with a gun?
    Yeah because it is called the criminal justice system not the criminal vengeance system. People should have the right to appeal a decision especially when the penalty is the ultimate one.

Agree, however, there should be a 30 day time limit for an appeal and its response, no need to drag the **** on indefinitely.
    I'm pretty sure swizz means under the current system...
    Agree, however, there should be a 30 day time limit for an appeal and its response, no need to drag the **** on indefinitely.

So do you have a plan to unclog the court system?
    Yep. Summary hearings.
    Ahh a little Castro action ehh?
    Why not, we recognized Cuba today! I threw 30 days out there as a starting point, I could settle for 31. No, seriously, there does have to be some kind of time limit. Special Court of Appeals could be set up with authority to give an up or down appeal decision, no justifications written out so defendants or states could immediately appeal to SCOTUS which would have to agree to hear or not within a specified time frame and deliver a verdict (after hearing the case just in case you were wondering), within a short specified time frame. This dragging the appeals process out 10, 15 or 20 years is pure ****.

And a 3rd felony conviction should be an automatic death sentence, as opposed to keeping career criminals incarcerated for the rest of their lives, 30, 40 or more years at YOUR and MY tax expense.
  • saltydancindavesaltydancindave Senior Member Posts: 2,309 Senior Member
    Ahh a little Castro action ehh?

South of the border action gun free zone boils over in Trumpsters persona-non-grata: https://www.youtube.com/v/za_8TOQFA8o
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    Joe K. wrote: »

"A Florida..."

FULL STOP.... reverse direction... run at full speed.

30419-Bugs-Bunny-saws-off-Florida-gi-GJAj_zps667ef5ec.gif
    Great idea, Hex, but our politicians ain't as smart as Bugs Bunny.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 5,439 Senior Member
    Unfortunately, that FL fun shop owner is soon to be rolling in money.
    Why unfortunately? He's merely filling a niche caused by others.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file