Fish Skull

Gene TrumpGene Trump Junior MemberPosts: 14 Junior Member
I've been messing around with Fish Skulls. Anyone else using the heads?

254244_285777274871654_1116832660_n.jpg

I tied the patterns in steelhead and sea-run cutthroat patterns. I've had luck using the patterns for bass with colors meant to represent bait fish.

Replies

• ScottPScottP Senior Member Posts: 480 Senior Member
    Gene,

Cool flies. Do they ride point up or down?

Regards,
    Scott
    They say the times are changing but I just don't know
  • Gene TrumpGene Trump Junior Member Posts: 14 Junior Member
    Scott, the heads are thicker at one spot so it depends on how you install them as to if the hook point rides up or down... same as using dumbbell eyes. I installed the Skulls upside down for the warm water patterns so the point rides up and thus, weedless. Weedless is not needed for salmon/steelhead/sea-run cutthroat patterns so these are tied so the hook point rides down.

The heads give you the option... weedless or not. BTW: they are not as heavy as they look. I'm not sure what metal they use for making them and they are hollow so while they do add weight, it isn't nearly as much as you'd think. Primarily, they give a nifty look to a streamer type pattern and a place to mount the eyes (which come with the Skulls) and the weedless option.
    Scott, this is the bait fish immitation that I tied weed-less for the bass at the local farm pond. They liked it.

404386171.jpg
  • Further NorthFurther North Senior Member Posts: 1,699 Senior Member
    I've used a few, really like them.

They also make a sculpin head that's designed to scoot along the bottom, or close to it. Flies I tied with that one were unintentionally effective on walleye.....
    "Just because I criticize your argument doesn't mean that I disagree with your position."
    The heads meant to represent skulpins are sold as Sculpin Helmets. I bought a package but have yet to try tying a pattern with the product. I don't think they are meant to target a specific species of fish so if walleye like the patterns made with the heads, than they work! :)
    I Bought the sculpin heads to make pike streamers (and smallie streamers as a secondary objective)...looking at them in the store, it seemed to me they'd be more effective than the regular Fish Skulls at keeping the hook point up. I bought a bunch of each anyway....

They work great for pike and smallies, it just so happened that I picked up a walleye or three on them as well.
    "Just because I criticize your argument doesn't mean that I disagree with your position."
    That tears it... I'll have to give them a try. Are you using rabbit strips for the body of your patterns or a different design?
    BTW, one of the things I do is coat the heads with hard UV cured material after I have the eyes in, then zap it so they can't come out no mater what I bang them into.
    Gene Trump wrote: »
    That tears it... I'll have to give them a try. Are you using rabbit strips for the body of your patterns or a different design?

We cross posted....sorry about that. I'm only about a year into fly tying and haven't really got the hang of rabbit strips yet...I've used a couple, but haven't liked what I've created.

I've used a lot of bucktail, various kinds of shiny stuff and marabou. Working well so far.
    Okay, I know what I can use. I haven't had all that much luck with rabbit strips and I've tried many different designs.... they even look great, but evidently, not to the fish.
    Here's my first attempt at using the Sculpin Helmet to represent a sculpin. No clue if it will work or not.

404446587.jpg
    It'll work...fish aren't that picky.

I'll try to get a couple of pics of mine up this week, you'll see why I know that'll work....
  • Fly GoddessFly Goddess Junior Member Posts: 20 Junior Member
    Cool thing about the Skulls is they have a Keel so you can tie them hook up or hook down like dumbbells depending on which way you put them on, plus you put them on after you have tied the fly. Easier to get the material up under the head unlike Cone heads.
    IMG_4185.jpg
    I also like the Skulpin Helmets but these are a chuck and duck
    IMG_4195.jpg
  • Long ShankLong Shank Junior Member Posts: 15 Junior Member
    Definitely chuck and duck, hit myself in the head with one last week fishing river smallmouth, low summer flows these were not intended for. Lol
    Ls

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    If Charlie Sheen outlives me I am going to be really pissed

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file